GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bunch of guys on an old truck site I frequent met in Arizona this month. Since the weather was nice I decided to ride out. In a hurry to get there I rode the Interstates all the way to Phoenix. How boring!

For the trip back I wanted to avoid the Interstates as much as possible. I made it back with only 10 miles of I25. I took US60 out of PHX to Globe, then US70 to US191 North.

I had ridden this road once before in summer and it was spectacular so I decided to try it in winter. This is quite possibly the twistiest US highway there is. And it is beautiful with snow all around. The highest pass is just over 9300'. There were a few short stretches I had to ride on snow pack but other than that the road was clear. I rode it up to US60 again.

I took US60 to Socorro then took I25 south to US380. There is still some mountain riding from there before you hit the plains. Stayed on it to within 60 miles of the house then cut south on Farm Roads.

Had a great trip with no problems at all except for one little incident. On the way out there on I10 I was following a couple of cars doing about 95 when I noticed one lane closed ahead. There was a pickup between me and my "front door" so I decided to pass him before the lane shut off. I was just going past him at over 100 when I came to the cones. One of the cones was about a foot or so into my diminishing lane and I hit it with my highway peg. It snapped the peg off.

Stats according to my GPS: 2256.9 miles. Driving time: 27 hours. Top speed: 127.

I had loads of fun and am looking forward to my next big ride.

Here's a picture taken on US191.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee12/cletis_photos/032.jpg

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
yep who needs Deal's Gap when you can ride 191. Great road

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
A bunch of guys on an old truck site I frequent met in Arizona this month. Since the weather was nice I decided to ride out. In a hurry to get there I rode the Interstates all the way to Phoenix. How boring!

For the trip back I wanted to avoid the Interstates as much as possible.<...>

Cletis, you've got more intestinal fortitude that I would... :bow: That's a picture to treasure, for sure!

Y'know, I've only done it once, southbound, soon after getting the bike. One of these days, I am going to have to do that road northbound one-up.

Yellow Wolf has got to give that road a try sometime... :thumbup: You think he'd do a thousand miles in 24 hours on that one? I'm guessing, what, about four round-trips would get ya only to 500 miles - not sure it's possible.

·
Registered
868 Posts
ahhh, 191, aka coronada trail, aka, the devils highway, that is a good ride there, did you happen to see that huge mine before you hit 191...biggest mine I ever seen. i see u was doin some pickin...u in a band?

·
Registered
3,663 Posts

For the trip back I wanted to avoid the Interstates as much as possible. I made it back with only 10 miles of I25. I took US60 out of PHX to Globe, then US70 to US191 North.

I had ridden this road once before in summer and it was spectacular so I decided to try it in winter. This is quite possibly the twistiest US highway there is. And it is beautiful with snow all around. The highest pass is just over 9300'. There were a few short stretches I had to ride on snow pack but other than that the road was clear. I rode it up to US60 again.

I took US60 to Socorro then took I25 south to US380. There is still some mountain riding from there before you hit the plains. Stayed on it to within 60 miles of the house then cut south on Farm Roads.

Had a great trip with no problems at all except for one little incident. On the way out there on I10 I was following a couple of cars doing about 95 when I noticed one lane closed ahead. There was a pickup between me and my "front door" so I decided to pass him before the lane shut off. I was just going past him at over 100 when I came to the cones. One of the cones was about a foot or so into my diminishing lane and I hit it with my highway peg. It snapped the peg off.

Stats according to my GPS: 2256.9 miles. Driving time: 27 hours. Top speed: 127.

I had loads of fun and am looking forward to my next big ride.

2256.9 miles in 27 hours kinda hard to believe :bow:

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
<...>On the way out there on I10 I was following a couple of cars doing about 95 when I noticed one lane closed ahead. There was a pickup between me and my "front door" so I decided to pass him before the lane shut off. I was just going past him at over 100 when I came to the cones.<...>
2256.9 miles in 27 hours kinda hard to believe
Along much of I-10, especially east of me, an average of 80+ isn't difficult to do for long stretches, but you'd be stopping a little over two hours to refill a standard GL fuel tank (no mention if an aux tank was used...would obviously make better time with one...). Ther's actually places that allow 80MPH (I'm sure the speed is higher still...) 80MPH in Texas. Google says from Parker County, TX to Maricopa County AZ it's a bit over 1000 miles. An average of 90MPH makes that trip in a little over 11 hours. Hope Cletus saved his documentation; seems like he could have a SS1000 under his belt if he made that run in 24 hours or less.

There'd be no way I could do that run two-up quite that swiftly. Now, one up? That'd be a different story, I think. :cool:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK Guys, the 27 hours is total time moving as shown on the GPS. I just did the math and that would put me averaging 83.58 mph for the entire trip. I agree. Something aint right here. It took the best part of 2 days both going and coming back.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Wayne i live here at the Dragon and i have ridden both im with you. I like riding Hwy 191 way more than the dragon. Now the Cherohala is a great ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts