GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the way home with the girlfriend when, to her dismay, and my prediction, we hit some of that real good Florida rain that is a good yellow to red on the radar. That really good stuff that prevents you from seeing anything but the tail lights in front of you. It was spactacular. No rain gear. Of course. What would you need that for........:shock:

In the middle of all this my FI light came on and when I got to the garage I kicked the side stand down and counted one long at one short flash. Speed sensor.

I think it is nothing but one of those random glitches. Given it is the first in 3 years and 25K on an '08 I bought brand new. It was a real gully washer and upon further inspection the sensor and visible wiring seems fine.

It fired up a couple hours later. My only lingering concern is the burning smell I detected right after parking in the garage. I suppose if I smell it again on the way to work tomorrow I'll be worried.

My understanding is, based on the search function, the FI light will come on sometimes after a heaving washing or rain storm. If it were to happen a second time should I consider that good reason to start with replacing the speed sensor?

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
11 Blinks • Engine operates normally
• Loose or poorly connected vehicle speed sensor connector
• Open or short circuit in vehicle speed sensor wire: • Faulty vehicle speed sensor

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
My understanding is said:
It rained on me on my way home from buying my brand new Goldwing and the light came on, but that was the only time. Interesting that it happened to someone else. Makes me feel a bit better.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I had the same thing on my 2002 ... after washing too thoroughly ... :cry: ... after searching for wiring and checking lots of connections and worrying about things for a week or two, the problem seemed to resolve itself. I think it dried out. Meanwhile ... while the speed sensor is malfunctioning ... you can expect the speedometer and turn signal cancel to malfunction.

... and yes, there is a connection under the faux tank above the right vent, just about at your right knee, you might want to check. ... but several really hot, dry, sunny days might fix it for you too ... :thumbup:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe it was only a glitch. Which is good seeing as the wing is my only vehicle. However I will be looking into the connection point behind the knee vent (thanks) next time I'm in there, or if it happens again. Watch out for thunderstorms:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I have rode my 1800 well over 120,000 miles in the last two years in
some really bad rain storms (some so bad cars and 18 wheelers
pulled off the road to wait them out) and we kept right on riding in
them sometimes for hours on end. We have also rode in sleet,snow
and hail storms. Sleet & snow storms sometimes for hours on end
with never an EFI light ever.

You must have a loose or bare conection somewhere which can be
a real pain in the azz to find. For a giggle it sure can't hurt to take it
to a dealer and hook it to their computer to see what it says.

Good luck and Enjoy your Wing" we sure do" ;)

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,568 Posts
I've had it happen to me on two different road trips after riding in steady rain all day....not a good feeling when your 500 miles from home. Anyways, both times it happened I didn't think to check for the code and after I restarted the bike, the FI light never came back on again on those trips.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I have rode my 1800 well over 120,000 miles in the last two years in
some really bad rain storms (some so bad cars and 18 wheelers
pulled off the road to wait them out) and we kept right on riding in
them sometimes for hours on end. We have also rode in sleet,snow
and hail storms. Sleet & snow storms sometimes for hours on end.
I, me, we, I I, me.........it's started again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts