GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first flat in over 50 years of motorcycling. I wasn't far from home and luckily the TPMS warned me of a slow pressure drop. I was able to make it back home (a few miles) before the pressure dropped too low. Local dealer will no longer repair tires, and this looks like a seriously bad puncture so I am going to replace the tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Same thing happened to my brothers '18 Wing Air Bag. He was about 1/2 mile away from home. Made it safe and sound.

Good thing you were close to home.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Time for me to go out and buy a puncture kit for temp repairs.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Glad you made it home.

Personally, I don't fix motorcycle tires unless I have to in order to make to the dealer (always carry a kit). The forum can torch me and talk about the million miles they have on a plugged tire. Not worth it to me.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Looks like you can maaayyybe plug it with a snake and a lot of swearing, but long-term plugs are best-suited for a nail/screw kind of punctures. Slashes would prompt me to just replace the tire since I think the shearing forces would just pop the plug loose. Whether or not I do a plug also depends on how much meat is left on the tire, since if it is due soon anyway, might as well just replace it.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Glad you made it home.

Personally, I don't fix motorcycle tires unless I have to in order to make to the dealer (always carry a kit). The forum can torch me and talk about the million miles they have on a plugged tire. Not worth it to me.
im the samw way. blow out at 80 or $250.. ill spend the money

·
Registered
356 Posts
Back corner of my right saddlebag has a plug kit and mini compressor. I'd hoped I'd never use them, but already have helped out friends three times since last summer.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I plugged my rear tire last week, long enough to ride and have a runflat installed.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Yea, that looks too big of a cut for a worm repair and I wouldn't keep a worm repair unless I could get home, take the wheel off and repair from the inside (patch and plug type).

·
Registered
794 Posts
:wrong: Bummer....

·
Registered
930 Posts
On my last Goldwing, I bought a new rear tire and one week later I had 100 miles on it and got a screw in the tire.
I plugged it and it lasted for close to 4 years.
It eventually started slowly leaking more and more and it got to the point I had to replace the tire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts