GL1800Riders Forums banner

My first Goldwing and it is AWESOME!

5K views 46 replies 45 participants last post by  AWESOMEF6B 
#1 ·
I did it, I bought my first Goldwing a few weeks ago and I am in awe! Seriously, I cannot get over it.... these bikes are truly awesome!

I learned how to ride motorcycles in the mid-80's, while I was in college, and then purchased my first bike after graduating in 1988. This is the progression of my bikes (in order): 1985 Honda Magna 700cc, 2003 Honda Shadow 1100cc, 1999 Yamaha Royal Star 1300cc, and now, this 2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800.

I have a 30 minute commute to and from work each day. After 25+ years of riding with the wind thundering in my helmet and beating on my arms and legs, I decided that I had had enough. I took a test ride on a Goldwing at a local dealership about six weeks ago and I was hooked. For the next three weeks I couldn't get the Goldwing out of my head. I kept thinking about "the additional storage space, no wind in my ears, long-haul comfort, and extra power for passing". It was constantly on my mind until I couldn't take it any longer :) I had always figured that I would buy a Goldwing when I got into my late 50's or early 60's, and now I am glad that I didn't wait that long!

I bought this beautiful 2002 GL1800 with 75k miles on it. The bike has been meticulously maintained by the original owner and still looks like it is new. I am quite sure that I am riding around with a smile on my face as I cannot get over the smooth ride, agile handling, power of the engine, and the features included on these bikes. My wife also appreciates the new 'couch' that she gets to sit in when we go for a ride together. When I took my youngest son for his first ride on it, he said (in the headset), "Dad, is this motorcycle electric? I don't hear the motor running." He also added, "This is smoother than riding in our car!"

Anyway, I wanted to let you all know how pleased I am with this bike and how I am looking forward to reading and learning from your posts and tips in the GL1800 riders forum!

~Todd

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
Congrats from Minnesota

Congrats on the bike, great color, you will find out after a few more miles how nice the bike really is, specially on long hauls, you get to your destination still in good spirits for the night instead of being beaten. congrats again. ride safe.

#16 ·
Now you know what we all know! :lol:

I've had my used, low mileage 05 Anniversary for 5 years now, and it's the first bike I've ever owned in 45 years of riding that I've had absolutely no desire to switch to anything else over time...

once I hit 200k in a few years, perhaps I'll go for 300k! :bow: :biker:

ENJOY!!!

#18 ·
Welcome from SW Ohio. Enjoy your ride.

#24 ·
Awesome

Congrats on your new ride. WELCOME to the forum, and WELCOME to the wonderful world of the Gold Wiong. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

#25 ·
Congratulations on the new ride ! Your sons question about electric motor reminds me of when I had my first 1500 wing it always amazed me how smooth the engine-handlebars felt just like an electric motor, the 1500 engines actually felt smoother than 1800 because the engines were mounted in the frame with rubber bushings :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.