GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my first longer trip on the '19 Goldwing last weekend. This is more of a 'what I noticed' than a critic. I may compare some things with the earlier Goldwings although I know they're completely different than each other.

The only addons I have at the moment are the Siriux/XM radio, 12 volt outlet, and driving lights (OEM).

I dropped my dogs off at my parents house the night before and left my work iPhone there. I left my house in Michigan Friday morning and drove to theirs to pick up my iPhone before heading south. I left their house at 4am.

I put my luggage back on the back seat and had to use a couple bunji cords to strap it down as I couldn't get the small Velcro straps on the back to reach the ends of the grab handles. The older Wings are perfect for this use.

With that said, the bag was large enough to use as a back rest and it was a good one at that. I was able to lay back over it to stretch and adjust the clothes in it to shape it different. Though I'm sure for everyday riding I will buy a back rest or wait until I buy a new seat with one on it.

I had sciatica a couple weeks before my trip and my knee was still quite stiff. Without the highway pegs my hips and knees were really hurting. I found the stock seat wasn't as bad as I originally thought (yet).

I was only getting about 41 mpg from what the display said but I could still go 200 miles between stops. This has been said before in the forums, but there is something about that gas tank that 9/10 times causes gas to come out into the gas cap well no matter how hard I try not to. Not a lot but enough to be annoying.

The headlights seem to be quite good on the freeway. Once I hit two lane roads I was thinking I may crank the beam height up a notch or two. The brights are more than adequate. I was in Tennessee in the mountain roads at night and I was thinking how nice it would be to have some lights mounted on the fork or somewhere like that so you can see where you're turning instead of after you've already turned.

I never thought about handlebar risers on either of my older bikes ('07 and '13) but I think I could use them on this one. I felt the affects of reaching too far out especially my upper back. I couldn't just hang my arms and rest them like I could before. I'm 6'1".

I had no qualms with the windshield either however I wouldn't mind one that's a bit wider and maybe two inches taller. One that I can still look over the windshield when it's down but look through when up. Instead of looking half through and half over.

You can mount a GoPro type camera on the mirror on the older Wings as there's enough room up there for the mount. This bike has no good flat surface on the mirror to do this. I know there are alternatives.

I had no issues with the suspension. I think I have it set as either two up or one with a load. I think two up though.

With gloves on, basically everything is either hard to find or hard to control with my left thumb. Whether it's hitting the horn when trying to cancel the blinker or going all over the screen when trying to choose a radio station.

I only use my GPS for start and end destinations so I can't say much about it. It works for what I need it for. Since my work phone is an iPhone I figured I'd try it out. The only thing I used the Car Play for was Waze and it was pretty cool. That was the first I've used Waze as well. Again, I know you can use Waze as a GPS too but I only used it for the simple stuff, debris in the road, car on shoulder, and cops.

Also, I used the hotspot on my work phone to connect my personal phone to run my tracking program.

The bike only has about 4000 miles on it and the foot peg rubber is already wearing away. I've never had this issue before.

On the way home my knees and hips were fine but my butt was killing me. I had to stop about every hour to stand up for a few minutes. I was glad to get home.

My trip was Michigan to Chattanooga, straight down and got there Friday just after noon. Saturday morning I ran the Cherohala Skyway and Deals Gap and came straight back home. It seems sport mode it just right on the Tail of the Dragon to avoid all the shifting. I think it stayed between third and fourth gear the whole time.

Sorry this is so long. Again, just my experience. I wanted to get it out while it was still fresh in my mind.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Thanks for posting your observations.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
i took my first longer trip on the '19 goldwing last weekend. This is more of a 'what i noticed' than a critic. I may compare some things with the earlier goldwings although i know they're completely different than each other.

The only addons i have at the moment are the siriux/xm radio, 12 volt outlet, and driving lights (oem).

I dropped my dogs off at my parents house the night before and left my work iphone there. I left my house in michigan friday morning and drove to theirs to pick up my iphone before heading south. I left their house at 4am.

I put my luggage back on the back seat and had to use a couple bunji cords to strap it down as i couldn't get the small velcro straps on the back to reach the ends of the grab handles. The older wings are perfect for this use.

With that said, the bag was large enough to use as a back rest and it was a good one at that. I was able to lay back over it to stretch and adjust the clothes in it to shape it different. Though i'm sure for everyday riding i will buy a back rest or wait until i buy a new seat with one on it.

I had sciatica a couple weeks before my trip and my knee was still quite stiff. Without the highway pegs my hips and knees were really hurting. I found the stock seat wasn't as bad as i originally thought (yet).

I was only getting about 41 mpg from what the display said but i could still go 200 miles between stops. This has been said before in the forums, but there is something about that gas tank that 9/10 times causes gas to come out into the gas cap well no matter how hard i try not to. Not a lot but enough to be annoying.

The headlights seem to be quite good on the freeway. Once i hit two lane roads i was thinking i may crank the beam height up a notch or two. The brights are more than adequate. I was in tennessee in the mountain roads at night and i was thinking how nice it would be to have some lights mounted on the fork or somewhere like that so you can see where you're turning instead of after you've already turned.

I never thought about handlebar risers on either of my older bikes ('07 and '13) but i think i could use them on this one. I felt the affects of reaching too far out especially my upper back. I couldn't just hang my arms and rest them like i could before. I'm 6'1".

I had no qualms with the windshield either however i wouldn't mind one that's a bit wider and maybe two inches taller. One that i can still look over the windshield when it's down but look through when up. Instead of looking half through and half over.

You can mount a gopro type camera on the mirror on the older wings as there's enough room up there for the mount. This bike has no good flat surface on the mirror to do this. I know there are alternatives.

I had no issues with the suspension. I think i have it set as either two up or one with a load. I think two up though.

With gloves on, basically everything is either hard to find or hard to control with my left thumb. Whether it's hitting the horn when trying to cancel the blinker or going all over the screen when trying to choose a radio station.

I only use my gps for start and end destinations so i can't say much about it. It works for what i need it for. Since my work phone is an iphone i figured i'd try it out. The only thing i used the car play for was waze and it was pretty cool. That was the first i've used waze as well. Again, i know you can use waze as a gps too but i only used it for the simple stuff, debris in the road, car on shoulder, and cops.

Also, i used the hotspot on my work phone to connect my personal phone to run my tracking program.

The bike only has about 4000 miles on it and the foot peg rubber is already wearing away. I've never had this issue before.

On the way home my knees and hips were fine but my butt was killing me. I had to stop about every hour to stand up for a few minutes. I was glad to get home.

My trip was michigan to chattanooga, straight down and got there friday just after noon. Saturday morning i ran the cherohala skyway and deals gap and came straight back home. It seems sport mode it just right on the tail of the dragon to avoid all the shifting. I think it stayed between third and fourth gear the whole time.

Sorry this is so long. Again, just my experience. I wanted to get it out while it was still fresh in my mind.
congrads

·
Registered
175 Posts
Great post!

Reactions: Kanjo

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey Kanjo, enjoyed your write up, great review. I also have the 2019 DCT Tour and really like it. For all the possible positive & negative comments the bike may have in different ways, I Love the DCT!! I really don't think I would go back now to a manual transmission. Now the seat is a different story!! Boy it is uncomfortable, Im looking to do something different with it this winter when the riding season is up here in Michigan. Not sure which way I may go but leaning towards the RDL, seems that is the favorite overall the best I can tell.. Maybe we could hook up sometime, Im near Detroit.

Take care
Rusty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts