GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a battery tender connected for the past few days during our wet weather. I got ready to go for a ride on New Years Day with a local GWRRA chapter and when I attempted to start the Goldwing with only the relay clicking. After several attempts, the starter finally ingaged and the engine started.
This morning the day after, it started like nothing had ever happened.

Any idea, except taking it to the dealer?

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Could be several things, including the ground connections. I'd check them at both the battery and on the engine.

Also, are you sure the Tender was working? Had it gone to the light indicating that the battery is fully charged and that it is now only doing the trickle charge? Reason is that it sounds like that after your rode the bike for a while the battery was back to normal? Might need to check your Tender connections.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've been using tenders for years. Never once had a problem. Previous poster has a pretty good idea. Check the connections at the battery or whever you installed the tender connections. Sounds like it might be loose.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Kikker,

All the guys above are correct. I had this problem a few years back and it was a matter of tightening the + & - screws/bolts on the battery.

Whenever I have a mechanical failure, I always start with the obvious and work towards the not so obvious.

I hope that this is your problem and it is an easy fix.

Those bolts do not have to be all that lose to give you this intermittent problem.

Good Luck.

Bulldog

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ironbutt Ken,
Are you sure you are not talking about the left side battery cover?

I didn't know there were any battery connection behind the right side engine cover.

I'll take a look anyhow. Thanks for the help guys.

The darn thing started right up this morning and I rode it all day with not problems.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Kikker said:
Ironbutt Ken,
Are you sure you are not talking about the left side battery cover?

I didn't know there were any battery connection behind the right side engine cover.

I'll take a look anyhow. Thanks for the help guys.

The darn thing started right up this morning and I rode it all day with not problems.
There is a little rubber boot under the right cover with a connection under it. Check it to be sure it is tight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts