GL1800Riders Forums banner

My first ride on a GL1800!

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Jara97 
#1 ·
On Saturday my wife and I took a new 1800 out for a demo ride. I’ve been riding a 91 Venture for the past 11 years and this was my first ride on the 1800.

So…… WOW! What a machine! It was a bit of a shock to ride a fuel injected bike again (I had an fuel injected sport bike a few years back). The instantaneous throttle response takes a bit to get used to. The torque is just friggin’ unbelievable!!

I pulled out of the dealer parking lot and hit the throttle what I thought was a bit softer than I normally would to get the Venture up to speed on a 50 mph road and HOLY COW……….. My wife was instantly pressed back hard against the backrest from the acceleration. Her words "holy crap! I thought you were going to pop a wheelie there!"

It's amazing how fast the revs come up. You sure have to be ready to shift quickly if you're on the gas.

The bike sits a lot lower than mine and the center of gravity is WAY low by comparison. I was pretty tentative leaning it into corners since I was two up, I wasn't used to the bike and it wasn't mine but it seems to handle extremely well.

The heated seats pretty much sold my wife on the bike right away.

It looks like my Venture has been sold to a fellow in the Northwest Territories. He’s sending me ½ the money today and will pick up the bike in a week or two.

So it was an exciting weekend. When the Venture goes I’ll be one big step closer to being a GL1800 rider! :D

Just needed to share…………

Cheers,
Steve

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome to the board! :D

I gues you are BOTH sold on the GW. :?

They say that if you are going to test ride a GW you had better bring your checkbook. :lol:

I guess it is just a matter of time now.

#6 ·
Welcome to the world of wings once you ride you are a winger forever. I retired in 04 at my retirement party my wife gave me the keys to a beautiful Flare Red 04 wing. Been riding wings for years but that was the first 1800 and I still say damn when I hit the throttle.

Ride safe and ride long oh and don't forget to smile

#7 ·
The first thing I thought was it was like a huge scooter. After a couple of miles the capability of the bike becomes apparent and it starts to grow on you. Today nothing else seems to please me as much as my wing (35 mph hands-off wobble and all) and I have no interest in taking extended rides on anything else. I am eyeballing a 2006 Honda Intercepter (white) that would make a wonderful stablemate for the wing and make for more spirited rides around town and other day trips. You and your passenger will be pleased in the long run, no doubt. Go for the 06+ as the stereo is worlds better than the 05-.

Scott

#8 ·
I went from an 83 Venture to the 01 Wing......no comparison.

The Venture was a nice bike, but the Wing is awesome.

It did take some getting use to as far as the low center of gravity....I have been riding since age 14 & I'm 56 now.....when I took off in the parking lot with the Wing, I had that shakey handlebar thing, like the first time you ride a bicycle!

But within a block or two everything was OK.

Mike

#9 ·
Steve, You will not be disappointed with the 1800. I, too had a Venture (86 model) and an 84 Venture before that. I bought an 03 Candy Red Wing without even ever having rode one. Unbelievable was my first thought. I was like your wife said, Holy Crap. I kept my Venture for about a month after buying the wing just in case I didn't like it. Well the Venture was put up for sale and sold. No regrets on the purchase of the wing. My wife says no comparison between riding on the back of the Venture and then the Wing. She loves it. Good luck on your decision.

#10 ·
Snoppy said:
I retired in 04 at my retirement party my wife gave me the keys to a beautiful Flare Red 04 wing.
Awesome story Snoppy! That's quite a lady you have.

I'm really only looking at a 2006 or possibly a 2007 now. I would like the premium audio and the wife would certainly like (borderline demand :wink: ) the heated seats. Not sure on the navigation.

There is a used 2006 available used with premium audio/comfort package but no nav which I guess means no ABS either. Not sure on the nav but I'm inclined to pay the extra money for a new one to have the ABS.

It is indeed just a matter of time.

#12 ·
pbird49 said:
Ain't she a beaut? The best toy I've ever owned.
And I once had a 63 Corvette. :lol:

Pat
I'm selling my 79 Corvette to help with the GL purchase. She's no 63 but it's a beautiful car...

It looks like the Venture is sold. Now if that corvette would sell I'd be off to the Honda dealer.....

#13 ·
Let me suggest you save your money onthe Nav for an aftermarket one that many say works very well as compared to the factory one.

I too bought my 06 in July without ever having ridden one. I had wanted one for years. Good luck with your pending purchase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.