GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted to for years but have never taken a ride on a GL1800 until Tuesday. It was a used 2007 HPNA model in burnt orange with 71,000 miles at a dealership that they were nice enough to let me ride. I've been riding an ST1300A for the past 11 years. I found that the Wing felt lighter and much easier to ride at slow speed than the ST. The engine is sweet with gobs of torque and ultra smooth. So many buttons, switches, and dials it boggles the mind.
A couple of negatives I noticed was a notchy and noisy transmission, and when pulling up to a stop the idle would surge up and down the last 1-2 MPH with the clutch in before it would go back to a base idle. I was also expecting a much smoother ride than from my ST and found more road harshness transferred through the front forks than my ST.
Overall it was a pleasant experience. The seat was great and when underway at speed it felt much lighter than its #900.
I will be keeping my eye out for something in the 2005-2010 range with ABS. I do love that 07' burnt orange color.

Pat

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
The harshness may just be a little lack of maintenance. The anti-dive will stick if the shock oil isn't kept clean or the springs may be sacked out. There are several solutions but in the end I doubt that it will be a lot more compliant than the ST. If you are in the market, it's a good time for you.

Richard

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
The transmission noise and surging idle could be related, my 2002 doesn’t have either of those issues.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The harsh ride could be old tires, too. I bought an '09 with 9 year old tires and the ride was terrible. Completely changed when I put new tires on. The old tires were hard as a rock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts