GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While cleaning my bike today I found a fairly large scratch on the right side trim piece below my tail light.

I have no idea how I got it and was wondering if anyone knows if you can purchase this single trim piece by itself? Also, how hard would it be to replace?

Thanks for sharing in my misery.... :cry:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Looks more like a rub than a scratch. Did you try to rub it out? I use Colegate toothpaste on a soft cloth (old tee shirt). Colegate has a lot of fine pumice in it and will take away very little paint. If it rubs out well, mask it off and give it a few shots of clear topcoat spray.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
When I mentioned my first scratch, I was told it couldn't remain virgin paint forever. Cute statement, but didn't help the hurt and pain I felt.

A therapy ride did take my mind off it for a while.

Good luck with it, I feel your pain. :(

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Replace it with chrome.....or lights.....

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Your first scratch ! :lol: :lol:

Get a black bike. I swore I'd never get a black bike again, and
then my dealership gave my an awesome price on a black
VN2000 Kawasaki. So, once again, I swear I'll never get another
black bike. :lol:

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
My theory is that you should take a ball peen hammer the day you buy the bike and get that first ding out of the way. After that no sweat for little nicks and scratches. :lol:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
:shock:

If ya got a 2005 Wing and that's the first scratch ya got, ya got it goin' on !!! I have a 2004, my grandson, bless his heart was helpin' me do an oil change by fetchin' the tools, well he got a lil' too excited and drug the screwdriver I needed to undo the cover on the belly pan down the side of the tank. :shock: I rubbed it out without makin' a big issue out of it, he was scared to death and I had to keep cool to defuse the situation. :wink:
I learned that if it ain't broke or cracked it can be worked over to look as good as new. :wink:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the suggestions but I've already tried Mequire's scratch-X on it. Unfortunately it's thru the paint. I know I shouldn't complain since it's taken this long to get a scratch but I'm still crushed....

·
Registered
281 Posts
sorry to hear about it...I just had my first on a new 2005 white ABS...the problem with white is when you scratch it, you see the primer. So now you and I have an excuse to buy some more chrome....just be thankful the replacement cost isn't too outrageous.

Zeebo

·
Registered
348 Posts
Rickster said:
My theory is that you should take a ball peen hammer the day you buy the bike and get that first ding out of the way. After that no sweat for little nicks and scratches. :lol:
I was just wondering how your advice worked out for yourself? :shock:

·
Registered
826 Posts
To answer your question, yes you can buy the single piece from any dealer or HDL http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp I got one from them recently after giving up on EBAY. Personally, no worse than that is, I would ride it. Eventually, one will show up in the classified section or on EBAy.

Not hard to change.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
But you should see Terpens bike, It is covered in mis matched tupper ware, black, blue, red, everything under the son.... Geeze !!! One day I saw it all covered in mud with broken mirrors,,, Mud every where on it.

It does look like a ebay tupperware bike :lol:

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
RazorWinger said:
Rickster said:
I was just wondering how your advice worked out for yourself? :shock:
Didn't need to use the hammer, Dropped a muffler from another bike on the left bag and made a small ding in the paint the first day (I also dropped it the first day while putting it on the center stand, kind of got a lot of bad stuff out of the way early). No more dings or drops (yet) since then, but not too worried about it because it is already taken care of. LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts