GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 developed the problem that when ever you hit the starter button on first start up in the morning you would get a solinoid click but the bike would not turn over. You would have to press the start button very firmly down several times then it would start. I thought it was a dirty contact on the start button but was not. I removed the battery and it tested 12.9 volts. I cleaned all the battery conections ie: positive and negetive cables and battery posts. I removed the small brass inserts from the posts that the cable bolts screw into. This is where I found a lot of corrision and took a lot of time to clean out this area. Two weeks now and not one failure on start up. Lightly press the switch and boom its running. I noted on this board some folks had stated that there bike used to fire up on the first compression stroke but lately seems to spin slightly longer. Mine was also doing this but now is back to the way it was when new, you barely touch the button and boom its fired up. I hope this may add one more thing to check first if you have this problem. I have read many of the trouble shooting posts by Tec Dude and Larry M and others. You guys are great, I worked in the electrical trouble shooting most of my life and you guys are great. You can read an electrical print all you like but where you guys differ is you can tell folks where to locate the part or connector where you need to do your tests. Keep up the great work guys.

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
Yeup ... checking most electrical problems start with making sure the battery tests good and the contacts are clean and tight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts