GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worked for hours on this simple RAM Mount. The GPS will be centered. The only part that will show is the ball. The ball will be supported by a rod coupling that will be flush with a drilled hole in the key escutcheon. A power jack will be installed in the top of the key escutcheon where the small Honda logo is.

Shooter Indy

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
GPS Ram Mount

Shooter,
That looks pretty darn nice. Are you going to market this or just keep it to yourself. :D I also was trying to figure a way to mount mine in the same location. It appears you may have a winner there!! :s27:

·
Registered
823 Posts
How about a double decker? One in front of the key and one behind with different heights so we can mount our GPS and XM radio ?????

·
Registered
170 Posts
Could you post a photo of how it looks once it's all back together.
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great Idea

What a great idea, and if for some odd reason it dosen't work or gets in the way you can get back to the stock look very easily.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll post some pics when it's all done along with the details. It is a pretty tough installation so I doubt it has commercial value.

Shooter Indy

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Here's how I mounted my GPS and XM radio control module. When I'm parked I can easily uncradle the GPS, un-velcro the XM module and put both into the right fairing pocket. I took a 2x6 galvainized truss/beam joiner and cut it with a dremel tool and formed it into a neat little mounting bracket for the XM module and to inlay into the emblem space. I then cut a 2 x 2 1/2 inch plate out of the same material for the bottom of the emblem space (under the top shelter) to give it some support so it's not just being held in place with the plastic under the emblem.

I don't like to mount stuff to my handle bars because it is way too dangerous. Same goes for mounting stuff to the fairing pockets. I prefer to scan or adjust my instruments in a head straight and eyes forward motion as you can see in the second picture. Everthing is lined up and directly in front of you and only takes a slight degree of eye movement to see.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rodehard,

Nice looking mount. One of the best I've seen. The Garmin SP III is a lot wider and I was afraid it would interfere with the handle bar's side to side turning if I mounted it the way you've shown. I'm sure your GPS wouldn't interfere because it is much narrower. I really like the way you mounted the remote. Nice clean look.

Shooter Indy

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Shooter,

A StreetPilot III mounts perfectly and you still have plenty of clearance from the handlebars in a full lock to lock turn. In fact the StreetPilot III actually looks pretty cool mounted this way and is real easy to read and navigate.

I was going to get the StreetPilot III, but instead will be getting a Garmin 2610 as soon as the prices come down a bit and they get all of the mounting brackets and what not designed and on the market. Plus I like the fact that I can use my compact flash cards with the 2610.

RodeHard

·
Registered
73 Posts
Center Mounting GPS

Shooter I center mounted my GPS also (Jan 02), and have been very happy with the results. I also installed a 12V power connector (hot all the time), using an audio RCA jack (female), that's located to the left of the key in the black plastic panel just under and below the gray panel holding the ign key assy. I bought an extra GPS cig light power cable and cut it to length to fit between the GPS and the power connector. I soldered a male RCA jack to it.

The mounting point for the ball is a piece of aluminium fitted to the under side of the shelter and has a raised 7/16" dia boss that comes flush with the top of the shelter. It's installed under the "shelter" just forward of the Goldwing emble. The piece of aluminium is drilled for the 1/4 20 ball threads in the center and drilled at the ends for 10-32 screws. I then bonded and screwed the mount in place under the "shelter".

It took a little "brain storming", time and cost (power cable, machining, wire and connectors etc), but I think it was worth the effort.

Arnie Mowrey
Orange 02

1 - 13 of 13 Posts