GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... here I am nearly 2,000 miles into my trip from the FL Keys to Chicago
to Cal via Route 66...

Ten minutes out of the hotel yesterday morning... lost a CV axel in Springfield IL... just dropped it taking off normally from a traffic light...

We pushed it out of the intersection and called for tow truck... had it
towed 50 miles to Litchfield Honda since I know they worked on trikes even if not
Hannigans... so the tech says he cannot figure out why the cv shaft
separated from the differencial (sp)... and the sway bar is also out of whack!!!

He called Hannigan yesterday to talk about the problem and what parts would be needed to fix it... but the guy he needed to talk to was not in
yesterday (figures)... so we wait today for Hannigan to get back to
the tech here... he also said he was not sure he could fix it as ALL!!!

:eek:4: any of you techs heard of this prob before?

BY THE BY... I AM NOT A GOOD WAITER, HA

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I would call (and e-mail photos) Shaun or Pop before I would wait on the factory for an answer. I would also call the factory myself because after my personal dealings with Hannigan them not having, or being able to have quickly, an answer just doesn't sound right. They have always done whatever was necessary to help.

Which end gave way, the Honda CRX CV (outboard) or the T-Bird (inboard) end ?
Everything but the actual shaft that connects the two is available at any decent auto parts store so unless the shaft itself is bad it should be a straight forward and quick fix with locally available parts.

The sway bar connects to the frame and trailing arm so unless the shaft broke loose and made contact, or the trailing arm bearing has failed/come loose I don't understand how it would be "out of whack" ?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
appears to be the short shaft on the diff. side... I didn't get to real good close look yet... and am concerned about whether the diff. was damanged as well... sure made some terrible noises when it went... the tech here
is no kid so when he says "I am not sure I can fix it at all"... that makes me nervous... hoping to hear from them sometime this am... have contacted Hannigan via email to encourage them to help us get going and also emailed Shaun and told them about it... still early in "our" time zone at home...

... will take some pics when I go back to dealer this am... thanx for the reply...

ps... we had a warning the night before... thought it had just jumped hard
out of second gear... but when I shifted it... we went on as normal to
hotel about 2 miles away... then yesterday... just few miles into our day
she broke down completely with the tire even rubbing the inside of the fender on that side...

regards...

·
Registered
642 Posts
Steve

At Springfield IL you are not extremely too many miles from Hannigan's facility in Murray Ky. They are great people and if you can talk directly with Dave Hannigan, I bet you can get-er-fixed.

Good luck, hope you and Dave talk soon.

Regards,

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just talked to Hannigan, and they are in touch with the Honda people here... also some good news... talked to Trike Traders in FL that did
my conversion... and it was done on August 1st 2009... which means
parts and labor are covered... SAWEEEET! ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim at Hannigan just called ... he is going to overnight a new axle for
that side...

so progress is being made...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Steve,

I live about 70 miles from Litchfield is there anything you need I have a truck and trailer here If I can be of any help to you.

PM me I can give you my cell number

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Steve, I was going to suggest you ask for Jim. straight out, but you've already gotten to him. I remember when you had your conversion done and was going to do a search of your posts to determine when you converted, but you've already contacted Shaun. You the man!

Here's the skinny. Each end of either axle is attached by a number of round socket head screws/ bolts (whatever you wish to call them). Red lockite should have been put on the threads prior to run-up. They should have never backed themselves out. Plain and simple, NEVER.

The suspension is a tried and true set-up, but if someone failed to locktite them, they're prone to backing out. I would request new screws/bolts as they can strip themselves during the wobble motion, as they back out.

Let us know about the sway bar. I'm guessing it was affected by the suspension drop when the axle let go. Just a guess, however!

Reads like you've got some trip planned out. Wish we were there.

Ride safe,

Wayne

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve,

I live about 70 miles from Litchfield is there anything you need I have a truck and trailer here If I can be of any help to you.

PM me I can give you my cell number

Hey, that's great of you to offer RoscoeD... really do appreciate it
but as of right now... looks like by tomorrow or the next we'll be
back in business... but you never know... we'll keep you in mind...

Regards to you and yours,
Steve and Terry

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Any breakdown stinks, but it sounds like you're going to taken care of and back on the road shortly.
Not close enough to offer any help, other than hope it works out well...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok... bike is all fixed... Jim at Hannigan did an overnight on the cv axle...
Done by noon today... made it under the 2 year warrenty (up in 8/1/11 :roll:) no charge parts, shipping, or labor... sweet...

A clip the retains the cv joint together came out somehow... so the joint
just separated itself the three part bearing cup assembly came out of the female socket... and that's all she wrote... one of the cups was missing entirely... somewhere on the road no doubt...

Can't say enough about Hannigan's customer service and the great guys
at Neihauss Honda in Litchfield... and all of you'll as well always in my
corner...

Took her back to Springfield this hot afternoon to make up the miles we
missed while riding in the tow truck... wow hot, hot hot...

So, if all goes well, Lord Willing we'll head on down towards St. Louis in
the am...

regards,
to all Steve and Terry

·
Registered
2,032 Posts

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Sa-Weet!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Good news for sure keep us posted on your trip and GLAD you did not need my trailer :lol:

I will be coming through that way tomorrow may sure you stay HYDRATED !!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
The guys at Hannigan are the best. I had a 2006 and loved it, then had a dumb attack and sold it. I will have a new one soon.
Capt Bob

·
Registered
999 Posts
Beware of a mechanic that says he doesn't know if he can fix it.

He's no "mechanic".... He's a technician.....

In my 40 years... I never told anyone that I couldn't fix it. I always said ..."Yes , I can fix it. It might not be timely or cost effective, but I can fix it....."

As already stated....CV joints are available at all auto stores.

A Hannigan is an assembly of available parts and a custom fabricated frame and body. Find out where they got their parts and you'll find yours.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts