GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Looks really great! What did you use (brand) to paint it? I was thinking of painting mine too to match.
Steve F

·
Registered
700 Posts
Nice...:thumbup:...Spoiler gives it that added touch...is the spoiler a goldwing spoiler...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I painted the trailer with Dupont Chroma base with clear coat, I used 3m plastic
adhesion promoter and Nason sealer under the paint. The spoiler is the same one Tommy boy has on his trailer. I added chrome wheels and painted the hub silver with Krylon spray paint.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I painted the trailer with Dupont Chroma base with clear coat, I used 3m plastic
adhesion promoter and Nason sealer under the paint. The spoiler is the same one Tommy boy has on his trailer. I added chrome wheels and painted the hub silver with Krylon spray paint.
So, where did you find the chrome wheels, and how much were they?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steve
The Chrome wheels were purchased from Harbor freight .com $42.99 each, they come with tires mounted. So I mounted one of the of the white wheels under rear of trailer for a spare if needed. I purcased a jack from the local Habor Freight store to jack up trailer to change tire. The tounge jack on the trailer was made from 1 inch piece of black pipe painted silver.Hope this helps with your trailer

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Quicksilver, that looks great!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Steve
The Chrome wheels were purchased from Harbor freight .com $42.99 each, they come with tires mounted. So I mounted one of the of the white wheels under rear of trailer for a spare if needed. I purcased a jack from the local Habor Freight store to jack up trailer to change tire. The tounge jack on the trailer was made from 1 inch piece of black pipe painted silver.Hope this helps with your trailer
Thanks for all your info. Great trailer you have there!:congrats:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Very nice! :thumbup:

Did you do any sanding before you used the adhension promoter?

Also, did you extend the tongue?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Front runner I was told by local paint suppler to use a gray scuff pad which I purchased from them. They said to wash the plastic with hot soapy water then rinse, scuff wash again. I also used 3m plastic cleaner before adhesion promoter.
When scuffing I saw some of the texture getting thinner in spots so I sand lightly with 180 grit, 220grit, and 320grit on the main box so there would be no texture.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Great looking trailer!:yes1: I like the spoiler idea. I'm almost finished with my HF with Sears 20. Hope to post some pics soon.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I heard from the manager of one of the HF stores that this trailer was going to be discontinued, if it wasn't already.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I heard from the manager of one of the HF stores that this trailer was going to be discontinued, if it wasn't already.
That rumor was in the air when I bought mine, too--in October 2009! When I mentioned it to the manager (in Spokane WA), he knocked $100 off the price--$299, assembled. But I see people are still buying them. :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts