GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DSCF1009 (600x338).jpg

Built these for about 4.00 ea side, took about an hour per side. When the turn signal is off you don't see the led's.

·
Registered
784 Posts
how bout sharing some info on your build. Pix would be nice too.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how bout sharing some info on your build. Pix would be nice too.
I can share how I did it, but I didn't take pictures as I went. So you just going to have to use your imaganation. This is on a 2012 GL1800 level 1

Step 1) Gather the parts, for mine I used 14 Amber LED's (ordered them from PartsExpress.com) the superbright LED's. When you order a package of LEDs' they come with resistors. You will need a soldering iron and solder.

Step 2) Remove the mirror from the housing, this is done by removing the bolt at the base of the housing.
Step 3) Removing the mirror from the mirror mount. Heat your oven to 150 degrees, and put the mirror and mount in the oven for 5 minutes, this softens the bonding agent that is use to
mount the mirror to the mount.
Step 4) After removing the mirror and mount from the oven, peel back the lip on the mirror mount, carefully insert a butter knife and work your way around the mirror loosening it from the mount. Don't discard any of the bonding agent for you will use it when reinstalling the mirror to the mount.
Step 5) Clean the back side of the mirror to where the LED's will be mounted, the outside 1/3 of the mirror, I used mineral spirits. Set the mirror aside.
Step 6) On the back side of the mount on the outside 1/3 make a 45 degree scribe with the tip of the angle about 3/8" in from the edge.
Step 7) Drill 7 holes evenly space down the lines you just scribed. Make sure there are no burrs left in the holes. You holes should be arranged in a V shape. The first hole goes in at the intersections of both lines, then 3 holes down each segment, giving you a total of 7 holes.
Step 8) Reinstall the mirror to the mount, it you removed any of the bonding agent you will want to lay it out on the back of the mirror being careful not to cover the area for you LED's, reheat the oven to 150 put both mirror and mount in for 5 minutes, then snap the mirror back into the mount, let it cool.
Step9) Install the LED's into the holes you drilled, they will be configured in a "series" configuration meaning positive lead to negative lead. The LED's leads are two different lengths, the positive lead is always the longest. Install the 1st LED into the hole at where the lines intersect, with the positive (longest) lead to the left, (just a word of note, you might want to dab of super glue to help hold these in place, make sure they are firmly seated into the hole)
Step10) On the 1st LED the positive lead will be free so bend the negative lead back toward the positive lead on the next LED in line, lay if flat across the LED and then bend the positive lead over it and solder, clip off excess lead at the solder joint. Do the same with the negative lead on the second LED, bend it back to the positive lead on the next LED in line and solder in the same fashion. Continue doing this until you have reached the last LED in the line of 4, you will wind up with the negative lead on the last LED free. Repeat this process one the other leg of the V, you will only have 3 LED's on this leg. Star with the positive lead free and bend back the negative lead, just like the other leg. Once you are finished you will have 2 positive leads free and 2 negative leads free. Solder the two positive leads together, on the negative lead of the 4 LED leg you will solder the 150 ohm resistor and one the negative leg of the 3rd LED's negative lead you will solder the 180 ohm resistor. Solder the two resistors together and connect the ground wire at the junction of these two resistors. Then you will solder a wire at the junction of the two positive leads. The positive wire goes to the turn signal wire in the housing and the ground wire will go to the green wire in the housing. Then all thats left is to mount the mirror and mount into the housing.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I can share how I did it, but I didn't take pictures as I went. So you just going to have to use your imaganation. This is on a 2012 GL1800 level 1

Step 1) Gather the parts, for mine I used 14 Amber LED's (ordered them from PartsExpress.com) the superbright LED's. When you order a package of LEDs' they come with resistors. You will need a soldering iron and solder.

Step 2) Remove the mirror from the housing, this is done by removing the bolt at the base of the housing.
Step 3) Removing the mirror from the mirror mount. Heat your oven to 150 degrees, and put the mirror and mount in the oven for 5 minutes, this softens the bonding agent that is use to
mount the mirror to the mount.
Step 4) After removing the mirror and mount from the oven, peel back the lip on the mirror mount, carefully insert a butter knife and work your way around the mirror loosening it from the mount. Don't discard any of the bonding agent for you will use it when reinstalling the mirror to the mount.
Step 5) Clean the back side of the mirror to where the LED's will be mounted, the outside 1/3 of the mirror, I used mineral spirits. Set the mirror aside.
Step 6) On the back side of the mount on the outside 1/3 make a 45 degree scribe with the tip of the angle about 3/8" in from the edge.
Step 7) Drill 7 holes evenly space down the lines you just scribed. Make sure there are no burrs left in the holes. You holes should be arranged in a V shape. The first hole goes in at the intersections of both lines, then 3 holes down each segment, giving you a total of 7 holes.
Step 8) Reinstall the mirror to the mount, it you removed any of the bonding agent you will want to lay it out on the back of the mirror being careful not to cover the area for you LED's, reheat the oven to 150 put both mirror and mount in for 5 minutes, then snap the mirror back into the mount, let it cool.
Step9) Install the LED's into the holes you drilled, they will be configured in a "series" configuration meaning positive lead to negative lead. The LED's leads are two different lengths, the positive lead is always the longest. Install the 1st LED into the hole at where the lines intersect, with the positive (longest) lead to the left, (just a word of note, you might want to dab of super glue to help hold these in place, make sure they are firmly seated into the hole)
Step10) On the 1st LED the positive lead will be free so bend the negative lead back toward the positive lead on the next LED in line, lay if flat across the LED and then bend the positive lead over it and solder, clip off excess lead at the solder joint. Do the same with the negative lead on the second LED, bend it back to the positive lead on the next LED in line and solder in the same fashion. Continue doing this until you have reached the last LED in the line of 4, you will wind up with the negative lead on the last LED free. Repeat this process one the other leg of the V, you will only have 3 LED's on this leg. Star with the positive lead free and bend back the negative lead, just like the other leg. Once you are finished you will have 2 positive leads free and 2 negative leads free. Solder the two positive leads together, on the negative lead of the 4 LED leg you will solder the 150 ohm resistor and one the negative leg of the 3rd LED's negative lead you will solder the 180 ohm resistor. Solder the two resistors together and connect the ground wire at the junction of these two resistors. Then you will solder a wire at the junction of the two positive leads. The positive wire goes to the turn signal wire in the housing and the ground wire will go to the green wire in the housing. Then all thats left is to mount the mirror and mount into the housing.

Awesome, thanks!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
682 Posts
I had done just about the same thing but I did not remove the mirror from the backing plate.I just put a depth collar on a drill bit and drilled out the holes and then I used a pick to clean out the glue. I then covered the back of the LED lights with hot glue to hold them in place and I covered that with plastic dip to make a water tight seal. I have done about 8 sets of mirrors and I will be doing another set soon and I will post some pics or email them to you if you want.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts