GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I thought I would post my initial thoughts on the 2018 Traxxion shock update now that I finally got my shocks installed. I just got back from a 350 mile ride with plenty of time in some good mountain passes in the twisties, and some good open road riding out in the middle of nowhere.

What I really liked about the shock update is it significantly improves the stability of the bike, especially at higher speeds or when the road is rough. It made a much bigger difference than I thought it would at the north end of the speedo even on good road sections. The shocks significantly clean up the twitchiness and sketchy handling on rough roads. The bike overall feels much better planted to the road. The other thing that is very noticeable is the bike holds its line much better in the curves when riding in sport mode at a more spirited pace. I am a lighter rider (164lbs) and did not feel the standard traxxion setup was overly harsh or stiff, the setup felt spot on. I had the spring preload set for a single rider and tire pressures at recommended levels.

If this update is right for you I think really depends quite a bit on your riding style. I do not specifically dislike the stock suspension, if most of the time your riding is at a more sedate pace in tour mode at 2,200rpms and you don't push the bike much in the corners and you don't push the bike much into higher speeds of over 70MPH the stock setup does it's job and is pretty good, after all this is a big touring bike, but if you like to push the bike to the sportier side the Traxxion shocks really deliver for this.

-Jim

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thank you for the detailed evaluation.

I have been considering doing the same. I don't mind the money for purchasing the shocks, and I have watched Fred's videos on front & rear shock replacement. I am a good mechanic, and in fact earned my living for a few years as the sole tech in a small shop that specialized in GoldWings and HDs.

But when I look at the sheer amount of ridiculously fiddly steps I don't know that I have the patience for it. I would not trust any local "mechanics" to do the work either.

If I pass on doing the suspension it will be the first bike in decades I have not modified the suspension on, and each time it was the best thing I did to the bike.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Michael, I would agree! Working on this bike is not for the faint of heart! It is is VERY labor intensive & without Fred’s or Chris’s videos, I would not attempt to do ANY Tupperware removal!

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,543 Posts
If this update is right for you I think really depends quite a bit on your riding style. I do not specifically dislike the stock suspension, if most of the time your riding is at a more sedate pace in tour mode at 2,200rpms and you don't push the bike much in the corners and you don't push the bike much into higher speeds of over 70MPH the stock setup does it's job and is pretty good, after all this is a big touring bike, but if you like to push the bike to the sportier side the Traxxion shocks really deliver for this.

-Jim
Thanks for your review. I pretty much agree with what you said above. The OEM suspension is so much better than the OEM suspension with the old model that riding solo I don't have the urgent need to upgrade like I did with my old wing. No doubt those that ride two up and are on the heavier side and those who push the bike at higher speeds will love the upgrade. I'm riding Traxxion's demo 2018 in a few weeks and after riding that bike I might have a more urgent need for the upgrade then. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks to your very detailed videos Fred, I understand what needs to be done and I know I could do it.

Just not sure if I want to get into a project that involved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts