GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear, everything is Made In China these days.

For my tour this year, I want to find either two QUALITY American flags for my motorcycle, or one American flag and one Kentucky State flag.

Everything I have found on the Internet is basically cr*p. Cheap, printed flags that will absolutely self-destruct on a long tour. A one-sided printed flag, sandwiched to a mirror image of it, sewn along the edge with a single line of thread.

The two flags I have now are 6"x9" and they have fallen apart. It is time to replace them. This will be my fifth set already.

Doesn't ANYONE make a good quality American flag that can handle actually being flown from the flag mounts on the rear of a GoldWing?

My flag masts can handle anything from 6"x9" to 10" x ??", but it seems that you choices are limited to 6x9 or 10x15. No one makes an American flag that is 8" tall?!?

Links or suggestions are appreciated!

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
If you find one, let me know. The ones I've had either shred or won't stay on the mount.

·
Registered
263 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts

For my tour this year, I want to find either two QUALITY American flags for my motorcycle, or one American flag and one Kentucky State flag.

Everything I have found on the Internet is basically cr*p. Cheap, printed flags that will absolutely self-destruct on a long tour. A one-sided printed flag, sandwiched to a mirror image of it, sewn along the edge with a single line of thread.

The two flags I have now are 6"x9" and they have fallen apart. It is time to replace them. This will be my fifth set already.

Doesn't ANYONE make a good quality American flag that can handle actually being flown from the flag mounts on the rear of a GoldWing?

My flag masts can handle anything from 6"x9" to 10" x ??", but it seems that you choices are limited to 6x9 or 10x15. No one makes an American flag that is 8" tall?!?

Links or suggestions are appreciated!

Joe

Here You Go! I’d suggest you use their system! The airwing is what protects the flag from the punishing wind!

https://www.x50flagmounts.com

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here You Go! I’d suggest you use their system! The airwing is what protects the flag from the punishing wind!

https://www.x50flagmounts.com
This does sound like the best option but the flags are 11.5"x15" Wow! That is nearly the size of Wing World, opened flat! :grin2:

I was hoping for about a 8 x 11 or so. 6x9 works okay, but most of them are just cheaply made. The link offered (above yours) seems to have a better 6x9 flag with a triple sewn edge.

I'm going to cut a paper to that 11.5x15 size and see if it overwhelms the bike. I wanted to fly two flags. Either two American flags, one American and one Gadsden, or one American and one Kentucky flag.

Joe

·
Registered
678 Posts
Funny. When I was growing up the phrase for sub-standard manufacturing was "Made in Japan".
:laugh:

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny. When I was growing up the phrase for sub-standard manufacturing was "Made in Japan".
:laugh:
The big difference between early Japan and present day China is that China is a Communist country, so they will never achieve the level of quality that Japan has mastered. Chinese products will ALWAYS be of cheap quality and inferior manufacturing processes.

Joe

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Search for this guy on ebay. He has pretty nice flags. I know he has US flags and a lot of other ones. If he doesn't show a Kentucky one, just message him and he may have one. I have the flame US flag and the Air Force one and they seem pretty nice. snowgatorsports

·
Administrator
4,581 Posts
This does sound like the best option but the flags are 11.5"x15" Wow! That is nearly the size of Wing World, opened flat! :grin2:

I was hoping for about a 8 x 11 or so. 6x9 works okay, but most of them are just cheaply made. The link offered (above yours) seems to have a better 6x9 flag with a triple sewn edge.

I'm going to cut a paper to that 11.5x15 size and see if it overwhelms the bike. I wanted to fly two flags. Either two American flags, one American and one Gadsden, or one American and one Kentucky flag.

Joe

https://www.x50flagmounts.com/product/motorcycle-flag-mount-with-8x11-flag/

·
Registered
194 Posts

Joe

8X11 is no problem!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,492 Posts

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I buy mine from this guy www.motorcycleflagstore.com. I've used him for several years. He's a retired navy Master Chief Petty Officer and will make a flag from any picture with no setup fee as long as it doesn't have a copyright. His flags last me least a year and I don't wrap them up as suggested on long rides. The reason I normally get new ones is because the white on the flags get dirty and I haven't figured a way to get them clean yet. I'm pretty sure it's a one man operation and he's very easy to talk with and gets the product to you quick.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I wish I could remember the name of the company, but I bought a Gadsden flag from a vendor at WD40. Mine is attached to my antenna. 20,000 miles on it flapping in the wind up to 80 MPH. This thing still looks brand new and no fading here in Florida. Do not know where it is made, but it is top quality.

Another option you have it to have one made by an embroidery company. They could sew and/or embroider whatever you want on 2 pieces of material, then sew the materials back-to-back to make the flag. It would be more expensive than a mass-produced flag, but you would have the choice of material, thread, size, and many other things. Therefore, it will likely last much longer.

American flags can be purchased (or ordered) through any VFW and they will be American made. Not sure if such small sizes would be available.

NOTE: Proper retirement of all American flags is also done by VFW and/or your local Boy Scout troop (well, used to be a Boy Scout troop).

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep! Thank you both for this link! I really like the idea of an airfoil in front of the flag to prevent the wind from beating it to death.

I just spoke on the phone with the x50 owner, Gene, who discussed his product at length. He is very friendly and open to ideas, but he said that every time he develops a new mount, it is a multi-thousand dollar R&D project to produce it, and he'd have to see a lot more orders from GoldWings in order to produce one. I told him the reason Wing owners are NOT ordering his flag poles with the airfoil wings is because he does not offer a suitable mount for the newest 1800s. He has sold several tot he older Wing owners with the round tube racks or round tube antenna mounts.

I told him that GoldWing owners fly flags too! His gallery is 100% Harley :frown2: His mounts all grab the older style round bars, so I said he needs to either come up with a new mount for the current genre of GoldWings, OR source them from another company.

So I ordered two of the Pro Pad antenna mounts last night. I like the concept. When mounted low on the antenna base, there is little leverage from the flag to place a torsion on the antenna mounts.

x50 will send me two of their smaller flag poles along with the flags. I am going to try to mate them together and fly my flags from the bases of the antenna mounts on each side of the rear trunk.

I do have a CNC plasma table. I have an idea for a new product that just might work very well for Wing owners. :nerd: Gotta find someone who can laser cut 3/16" aluminum, and then a good chrome plating shop.

Always thinking....

Joe

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NOTE: Proper retirement of all American flags is also done by VFW and/or your local Boy Scout troop (well, used to be a Boy Scout troop).
Absolutely. I don't toss old flags into the trash.

Joe

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am glad to see sources for good quality flags that are Made in America. I am so tired of seeing that Made in China mark on everything.

Joe

·
Registered
194 Posts
“My Kingdom for a QUALITY Flag!“

So, who gets the keys to your Kingdom? Assuming someone would actually want your kingdom! :shrug: :grin2:

Yep! Thank you both for this link! I really like the idea of an airfoil in front of the flag to prevent the wind from beating it to death.

I just spoke on the phone with the x50 owner, Gene, who discussed his product at length. He is very friendly and open to ideas, but he said that every time he develops a new mount, it is a multi-thousand dollar R&D project to produce it, and he'd have to see a lot more orders from GoldWings in order to produce one. I told him the reason Wing owners are NOT ordering his flag poles with the airfoil wings is because he does not offer a suitable mount for the newest 1800s. He has sold several tot he older Wing owners with the round tube racks or round tube antenna mounts.

I told him that GoldWing owners fly flags too! His gallery is 100% Harley :frown2: His mounts all grab the older style round bars, so I said he needs to either come up with a new mount for the current genre of GoldWings, OR source them from another company.

So I ordered two of the Pro Pad antenna mounts last night. I like the concept. When mounted low on the antenna base, there is little leverage from the flag to place a torsion on the antenna mounts.

x50 will send me two of their smaller flag poles along with the flags. I am going to try to mate them together and fly my flags from the bases of the antenna mounts on each side of the rear trunk.

I do have a CNC plasma table. I have an idea for a new product that just might work very well for Wing owners. :nerd: Gotta find someone who can laser cut 3/16" aluminum, and then a good chrome plating shop.

Always thinking....

Joe

I know Gene and Ron, I’ll see about using my Goldwing to take photos to update their website!

Reactions: RickLB

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have had good luck with Rivco flags....

Gravedigger
I have both a Rivco Fire Dept Flag and their American Flag.
The American flag is double stitched, and I do not have an air foil to protect either flag.
I can get 2-3 years out of the Rivco American flag....what lowers flag life is a Kuryakan bag I have that has velcro closure strip....it is a flag magnet!
alot of time with the Kury bag on the trunk will lower flag life.
I wish they offered a HD version of the American Flag the same as the firefighter flag....

FF flag https://rivcoproducts.com/shop/metric-bikes/fire-department-6-x-9-flag-copy/

American Flag https://rivcoproducts.com/shop/metric-bikes/pfst-01-small-6-x-9-american-flag/

hope this helps
bryon

·
Registered
869 Posts
I buy mine from this guy www.motorcycleflagstore.com. I've used him for several years. He's a retired navy Master Chief Petty Officer and will make a flag from any picture with no setup fee as long as it doesn't have a copyright. His flags last me least a year and I don't wrap them up as suggested on long rides. The reason I normally get new ones is because the white on the flags get dirty and I haven't figured a way to get them clean yet. I'm pretty sure it's a one man operation and he's very easy to talk with and gets the product to you quick.
Another vote for the motorcycle flag store... I've been using his flags for years and they hold up quite well... He's even made custom flags for me at a reasonable price...

Les

1 - 20 of 36 Posts