GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear ... what is it about a person sleeping on a big bag of air that makes it leak during the night? I am working on air mattress #3 for this upcoming tour, and dang it ... the third mattress I purchased ALSO leaks air!

I bought the INTEX from WalMart. What does a person have to do, to find an inflatable bed that doesn't leak?!?

Joe

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
THAT WHAT I USE INTEX WALMART WILL EXCHANGE BUT WONT GIVE MONEY BACK GO BUY NEW ONE AND TAKE RECIEPT WITH OLD ONE IN (NEW ) BOX AND EXCHANGE FOR ANOTHER NEW . $8 HERE IN FL FOR TWIN. ALSO RUN YOUR HANDS ON MATTRESS ( CUSHIONS) AND SEE IF ANY WOOD CHIPS/SPLINTERS/ DEBRIS IN IT THATS MAKING HOLE IN AIR MATTRESS . I FOUND MINE THE CAP WAS LEAKING :surprise: BEEN OK NOW FOR LAST COUPLE WEEKS CAMPING HAVENT LOOKED ONLINE FOR "HEAVY " ONE.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have been using a Thermarest self inflating mattress and the only time it has leaked in 30 years was when my bride accidental poked a hole in it. They cost $$ but I have been very happy with them.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Forget that and get a hammock. More comfortable, easy setup, packs up really small... all you need is a couple trees and you’re in business!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
As been said, "You get what you pay for." I have a Coleman that I've had for several years and love it. I'm a heavy person and it has never let me down.... It's a bit on the expensive side, but well worth the money.....

·
Registered
143 Posts
I swear ... what is it about a person sleeping on a big bag of air that makes it leak during the night? I am working on air mattress #3 for this upcoming tour, and dang it ... the third mattress I purchased ALSO leaks air!

I bought the INTEX from WalMart. What does a person have to do, to find an inflatable bed that doesn't leak?!?

Joe
Talk about a first-world problem. My thought is if that is the biggest gripe you got in this world you're doing alright.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Paco Pad made by Jack’s Plastic Welding. Available from professional river rafting outfitters and a few other outlets. They are basically heavy duty professional quality self inflating pads.

They are expensive and a bit heavier than thermal rest pads.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I also have a Coleman Air bed and it holds air just fine. I just have to make sure to get the plug good and tight. If I don't, it will loose a little bit of air overnight, but not enough to make a big deal out of.

I have the older version of this bed. Mine does not have the pump built in like this updated one does.

https://www.coleman.com/quickbed-el...=coleman-sleepingbagsandbeds-airbeds#start=11

Revrunt: Do not camp in a National Park with your hammock. It is against the regulations to tie ropes from tree to tree. A lot of state and private campgrounds are the same. Check before you go!

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
forget that and get a hammock. More comfortable, easy setup, packs up really small... All you need is a couple trees and you’re in business!

:thumbup:
for $300 "extra" dollars you can get fold up aluminum frame so no trees needed . I like to "roll around " at nite so hammock wont work for me . 3 guys used at glens in tx last week n really like option

·
Registered
8,060 Posts
I also have a Coleman Air bed and it holds air just fine. I just have to make sure to get the plug good and tight. If I don't, it will loose a little bit of air overnight, but not enough to make a big deal out of.

I have the older version of this bed. Mine does not have the pump built in like this updated one does.

https://www.coleman.com/quickbed-el...=coleman-sleepingbagsandbeds-airbeds#start=11

Revrunt: Do not camp in a National Park with your hammock. It is against the regulations to tie ropes from tree to tree. A lot of state and private campgrounds are the same. Check before you go!
Just curious when your air mattress is deflated how big and bulky is it to carry on the bike or do you tow a trailer and store it in the trailer?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Step up to a good-grade "backpackers" air mattress. I've used a Big Agnes (mattress and bag) for 6 years of ADV camping, never lost a bit of air. The Colemans and similar I was lucky to get a couple car trips out of before they leaked.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Just curious when your air mattress is deflated how big and bulky is it to carry on the bike or do you tow a trailer and store it in the trailer?
Paul,

Sorry, I did not see this when you asked a few months ago.

Mine is a twin bed and it rolls up to the size of a large loaf of bread. I have also folded it up so it lays flat. That takes up very little room. I would put the bed, small battery pump, sleeping bag, tent, and small cook stove is a large waterproof duffle bag that would sit on the back seat of the bike.

Here is a photo of the bag I would put everything in. In this photo I just strapped the tent on top of the bag. Normally I put it in the bag.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts