GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back to Arkansas from Wing Ding today and It was two Wing Dings in one. My first one and last one. What a joke. You had to park 5 or 6 miles away and ride a bus to the convention center because there is maybe enough room to park a couple hundred bikes there. I made an appointment to get a Utopia backrest installed and had to catch a bus back to the parking area, get my bike, ride it to the convention center and I got back there 20 minutes before my appointment time and so they made me leave and told me to find a place to park until 10 minutes before my appointment time. Of course there was no place to park so I had to drive around downtown Knoxville for 10 minutes. When I finally got to go in to the booth inside the convention center It was an obstacle course to drive down isles no wider than Walmart filled with thousands or wing dingers.

·
Registered
625 Posts
WingDing

Some people love huge crowds off people squeezed in so close you can smell each others a$$ and armpits. I never understood why, different strokes I guess. :shrug:

·
Registered
922 Posts
I understand.
Wing Ding was on my bucket list and was able to cross it off in 2006.
I was glad I went and do not regret going, but doubt if I will go again.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I went to WingDing 32 in Des Moines. Went more just for the ride, about 300 miles from Chicago. Was my first. Joined the GWRRA to get in.

The magazine is ~OK. The tech help section tries, but this forum, being almost real-time live, beats it hands down.

Socially it was not big deal. Since it was a last-minute decision to go, I hadn't signed up for any riders' courses or anything else.

$23 (?) to enter a trade show and spend money?? For a big-ticket purchase item, like a saddle, trailer or trike conversion, it would make more sense as I would be able to sit on them or look at them up-close before buying. Maybe they should refund your admission if you spend X$.

But everything else there is available on the internet for about the same money.

As for getting helmet sets installed, fagettaboutit. 2 day wait at least.

Wanted to go to Knoxville this year, more to ride the area than do WingDing. Couldn't make it due to maintenance issues, so I am planning to go to the area maybe in September. It will be cooler and hopefully less crowded.

Madison, Wi 2012 sounded like a good go. Only 3 hours out of Chicago, so its a day trip and the back roads thru western Illinois and south-western Wisconsin can be interesting. Don't think the ride to Ft. Wayne, Ind is going to be as much fun.

·
Registered
409 Posts
wonder how many more they will have before a complete overhaul happens or the same ol game just runs out of gas.....

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Never been to a wing ding and have no plans to attend one in the future. If I want to be in that kind of crowded environment I'll go to a UM football game in Ann Arbor in a couple of months(a heck of a lot more fun)

Went to a couple of state rallies in the past(no more) and that, I'm sure was a small preview of the big show. I was not impressed. JMO

Fred

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
All the lemmings jump in the same hole............:joke::joke::joke::joke::lol::lol::lol::lol::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

Going to the Ding is Ok if you go for the right reason . For the ride, I wanted to go. Had to and have to work.

Nice to meet people that kind of thing, and for the ride.

But the event is not my cup of tea. I went to the one in Greenville, S.C. I got up and started early, all ready to go see the vendors. Looking forward to it.

Got up there as the doors opened, talked to some folks outside, messed around , got inside and they had the vendor area closed off until 10 a.m. They wanted to make sure you sat and listened to their speeches, and awards handing out and on and on and on with the yapping. Ya know , like a club meeting. Lol! .

So I endured, and after all that I think I bought a little foot for the side stand.

I did enjoy watching the guy do the painting on the bikes , I watched that for about an hour.

It is a mess, a lot of people, and it is like wally world on a busy day.

Hey look on the bright side, ya can buy a 50/50 ticket in the lobby, but must be present to win, they make sure of that.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Never been to a wing ding. Crowds just don't do it for me. I used to go to the Honda Hoots, until they started to attract huge crowds. I guess GWRRA and Honda can be proud that their annual events (well, honda stopped the Hoot) and how big they grew, but I prefer the smaller gatherings.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I have put on a national convention for my car club for 10 years, and helped with the previous 10. We are a small club, and attendance is usually between 100 and 200 cars, and 1.5 times that for people. A good size to have fun and not have to fight crowds, but on the other hand, not enough people for the big vendors to come out, so we make our own fun. Rent a drag strip or road course, have a speaker come in for fun or information. Plan drives and go to fun places that want us. Eat good food (of course).

I have not been to a Wing Ding, but I would hate to have to try to put together something that big. The people that do this should be honored and applauded for even trying, and for the most part succeeding in a big way.

Just trying to find a proper place to put 100 people is a big job, can't imagine thousands.

Hope everyone has fun and is safe.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
It would be interesting to see how many people dissappointed with Wing Ding would have the same opinions of something like Sturgis. Just about every event, whether a swap meet for cars, bikes, etc all draw large crowds and parking issues. Heck, have you ever tried getting a local ride together with a few friends, imagine organizing something like Wing Ding!!

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I understand.
Wing Ding was on my bucket list and was able to cross it off in 2006.
I was glad I went and do not regret going, but doubt if I will go again.
:agree: Totally!
Glad I went... will probably not ever go to another one again. JMHO

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I have been to a few Wing Dings, some were great and some not so good, Depends on what facility they are held in. There has been 2 in Billings MT. that I went to and they were great. lots of parking, a couple separate buildings to have different thing in, lots of open grassy areas.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
The smaller gatherings are my thing. The last CatsCade was great and Rockies Gold 2010 was a blast. to each his own. We all enjoy events of our own choosing and that's a good thing.

Happy for those that attended the Wing Ding and had a good time.

Fred

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Seems the complainers want to park at-the-door (or, maybe in the display aisles), have all of the vendors there that interest them and no others, with no other customers than them and giving huge discounts and personal service by the owners of the companies, all for free 20 miles from their homes.

Would that make them happy?:shrug:

Oh yeah, I didn't go to the WD events. Hope most of those that went had a great time and Knoxville was a gracious host! Thanks for visiting!:thumbup:

2,732 Posts
Not this one

I didn't make it to Wing Ding this year but the one in Billings, Montana (2007) was awesome, parking right near the door, vendors getting things installed rapidly, easy access to the "install" area, lots of room to hang out and just people watch and Wing Watch plus how can you beat the ride over Bear Tooth Highway anyway. Not sure why they don't figure out that motorcyclists want their bikes nearby, not 5 miles away.

While I'm on the subject, Colorado would be an awesome venue for a Wing Ding. Loveland is the perfect setting with huge convention facilities at the Ranch facility, great hotels and easy access to some of the best mountain riding in the world. It's also centrally located right in the middle of the U.S. and riding in Colorado is on almost everyone's Bucket List!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Went to Wing Ding in Billings in '07. Had never been to one before, and I wasn't too impressed. Biggest reason was that I got sick and wasn't feeling well, so couldn't enjoy it very much. Anyway, I was satisfied, and learned that such things just aren't my cup of tea. Great for those that enjoy them, though. Parking there was fine--big parking lot to accommodate lots of bikes, but I felt that the facilities were a bit tight for all the vendors, so it was pretty crowded, but oh well. Billings really appreciated having Wing Ding there, though, and no doubt it'll be there again some time. Too bad it was so hot!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Let's see, crawling in crowds or running on open roads? No contest and no Wing Dings (or Americade, Sturgis, Bike Week, etc.) for this kid. By contrast, riding to a local car or bike meet is a fun thing to do.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts