GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

You can pretty much tell everything about it from the photos below. Yes, that is a trunk rack held on using industrial-strength suction cups. No, I am not using mind-altering drugs. Yes, there is a safety tether running behind the passenger backrest.

This is just an experiment, mind you. It may work fine; it may come apart like a clown car. Further details as they emerge.

·
15 year Member
6,896 Posts
That 'Sucks"!!

LOL

Matt(BCNV) :thumbup:

·
Registered
513 Posts
That's thinking out of the box!! :thumbup:
Would the possibility of dirt/dust getting trapped beneath the suction cups and damaging the finish be of great concern?

·
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's thinking out of the box!! :thumbup:
Would the possibility of dirt/dust getting trapped beneath the suction cups and damaging the finish be of great concern?
Yes, but if this works I will put down four round pads of 3M clear paint protection film where the suction cups rest. That should take care of paint scuffing.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Why would it come apart?

I recently bought a couple of GoPros and with one of the kits they gave us a suction cup mount.

If it were longer I could probably do pull ups on the darn thing.

I was very wary of using it at first, but after watching sport bikers using them in all positions/manners at speeds of 130+, I felt secure mounting it to the front fairing.

Solid as a rock all day long.

No issue with marring either - I just cleaned the surface well and mounted her up.

Mind you - this is one of those that you press on, then move a lever to increase the suction and affix it to the mounting surface, but I don't know why the same thing wouldn't work for what you're doing.

Cool idea - surprised no one has done it before.

·
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why would it come apart?
Don't know. The vibration back there might be higher than I think, or the wind resistance of a rack bag might be too much. The first part of my experiment is to just drive around with the empty rack and see how long it takes to loosen up or shake off. If that seems to work O.K. then I'll repeat the test again with a lightly loaded rack bag in place.

Cool idea - surprised no one has done it before.
Probably because no one had a bag of leftover, industrial strength suction cups kicking around in the garage and was really bored one day.

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
It's been a few years, but saw that on an older wing. Worked well. The weight of the bag on the rack helped hold the cups down, and the size of the cups helped with weight distribution so no cracking occurred.

Only problem guy said he had was the Texas sun dried out the cups pretty fast, he had to replace them every couple of months.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I would think cooler / cold weather would make the rubber suction cups more rigid and they would lose their grip.

Mark

·
Registered
698 Posts
:shrug: :?: Call me confusrd...But why not just mount the rack :?: :shrug:

·
Registered
401 Posts
You're a genius!!! I have argued with the wife for 5 years she wanted one I didn't (just don't like the looks) She finally won (it was futile to resist) and I installed one this week. I should have waited a few more days and went this route.:22yikes:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think all suction cups fail with time. The advantage of the ones on a rack are that as you put weight on it the suction cup is forced down again. Over time however it will draw dust under the cup and that will cause it to fail to stick.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think your on to something. This would make for a good weekend trip.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Suction cups with a little assistance usually do a decent job. As a rural mail carrier, the car-top sign I used had 4 large suction cups and a tether on each side. Only lost it once and that was in very severe conditions at 55+MPH. Other than the slope of the trunk, I think this would work pretty well as it does not get much wind on it and the weight should hold it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hmm Out of the box thinking like that should be outlawed!:evil: Next, some idiot will try putting a car tire on a motorcycle!:thumbup:

·
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:shrug: :?: Call me confusrd...But why not just mount the rack :?: :shrug:
Several reasons:

You have to drill holes in the trunk to mount the rack. Once they are there they are there forever.

You might only want to use the rack for trips.

A rack (or trunk lid holes) might kill a future resale.

No two rack brands have the same hole pattern, so if your current one rusts out and is no longer produced you are screwed.

Racks are a pain to wash and wax under.

·
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think all suction cups fail with time. The advantage of the ones on a rack are that as you put weight on it the suction cup is forced down again. Over time however it will draw dust under the cup and that will cause it to fail to stick.
True, but it is easy enough to pull up the cup, wet it with a little soapy water, and stick it back down again.

·
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would think cooler / cold weather would make the rubber suction cups more rigid and they would lose their grip.
Yes, possibly. But I can get the same suction cup in silicon rubber instead of nitrile rubber and that should handle extreme temperatures better.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts