GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another notch for the tire theory. Had to replace my second front tire due to a glass slice. Avon tire, and new avon tire did not have any mark dot on it for balance point. The tire is now really heavy out of balance compared to the first avon. Just added more weights, and not the best choice. We are talking extreme counter balance here, when it takes like tens seconds for the tire to even slightly rotate on balance stand. The point being, now I do have a very low wobble at about 33 mph with hands off only. Holding the grips I cannot detect it!

·
Registered
19,065 Posts
My wibble never wobbled until I did my first tire change and the E3s developed a slight deceleration wobble at 35-40. The OEM D250s never wobbled. No not all bikes or brands wobble. The ALL BALLS BEARINGS for me cured this 100%

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fair chance that if the tire had a dot to mark the balance point of the tire, it could have been better. I just did not want to be bothered re-rotating it.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Unfortunately, Avons don't come with dots for balancing. :(

·
Registered
19,065 Posts
a Honda mechanic told me you can only balance the front and the rear doesnt matter

is this right?

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
laen said:
a Honda mechanic told me you can only balance the front and the rear doesnt matter is this right?
My 07 came from the factory with weights on the rear wheel
... makes me think "Honda" thinks they should be balanced.

Dennis

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
a Honda mechanic told me you can only balance the front and the rear doesnt matter

is this right?
I do not think you have a HONDA MECHANIC here. I think you have some guy that works for a Honda dealership that does not have a large knowledge base. A MECHANIC will tell you balancing does make things run smoother. And Honda balances their rear tires. So, draw your own conclusions. Thought about a diferent mechanic?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
laen said:

is this right?
"Back in the day" I used to hear that it was useless to balance the rear tire on a chain driven bike because the irregular tugging of the chain negated any balancing. I never understood it but that's what I believed way back then.

G

·
0 Posts
wobble

my '05 never wobbled at all until i replaced the front D250 with another one. wobble went away with all balls installed. smart tech said all wings have the wobble, just can't feel it most of the time. he may be right. new bearings worked for me, of course YMMV.

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
And when I was a young whippersnapper "mechanic" working in my first gas station (back in the 50's) the owner told me to balance the fronts only and not the rears (cars) because of the damping effect of the heavy rear axle. BS! All wheels set up a resonance and balancing helps minimize it.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was not true in past about the DOT. The first set of AVONs did have a blue dot to shoe the light side. (think light) While other brands would use the DOT for the heavy side. No visible paint DOT was found. Guess they are cutting corners, or maybe the tire was exposed to rain that washed the mark off somewhere ? Is a new tire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts