GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was needing a new air filter and decided to go with the EMGO filer advertised on Amazon for $24.00. There were two reviews that said the filter was OK, so I decided to take a chance on it. I discovered that the filter had significantly less paper folds than the Honda filter and therefore a significant reduction in the surface area for the filter. I decided to go ahead and use it, but will change it after one riding season even if I don't have 24K miles on it. That was one time I definitely should not have saved money buying non-OEM parts.

I know some people are OEM only, but I don't subscribe to that philosophy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yep as the OEM has the screen mesh to keep from caving in from suction which I seen several K&N do as the sides are weaker than stock. Does the one you got have the screen?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Screen

Yep as the OEM has the screen mesh to keep from caving in from suction which I seen several K&N do as the sides are weaker than stock. Does the one you got have the screen?
Yes, it does. If it would not have had the screen I would not have used it.

·
IronMan
17,623 Posts
SAVE THE SCREENS N PUT IN VENT HOLES TO KEEP THE CRITTERS OUT ….IF YA DONT KEEP A SNAKE IN YOUR GARAGE ! :wink2:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I haven't even looked at Emgo since the scandal years ago with the GL1500 fuel filters. That was enough for me...

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
200 Posts
Air filters are just too important to mess with, so it's OEM for me.

On a similar topic, I recently purchased a slightly used Honda Civic. One of the first things i checked was the condition of the air filter. I pulled it out and saw that it was new, probably replaced by the dealer. But it had an odd appearance to it. It looked damp and had an oily feel to it. It turns out Honda puts oiled filters in their cars, or at least some cars.
Not long after I stopped at an auto parts store and checked out their after market filters for my car. All were dry, none were oiled.
It seems sometimes the manufacturers get it right.
So I'm sticking with OEM.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Replaced air filter

I took this perfectly good OEM air filter out of my Goldwing. If anyone would like it, I will send it to you for the cost of shipping. Let me know. BTW: I will take the bugs out of it to reduce the shipping weight. :grin2:

·
Vendor
17,784 Posts
I know some people are OEM only, but I don't subscribe to that philosophy.
I'm one of those. Basically it boils down to not having time to experiment. Sometimes the downside of trying other parts is discovered till months or thousands of miles later. For example, I know someone who'd been using a K&M air filter, and over time, because the K&M does not securely lock the upper and lower parts of the air box together like a ridged OEM air filter does, the lower air box warped. Which meant that for several thousand miles, his air was not filtered. That's an example of poor design not discovered for probably 70,000 miles. Also, Honda's OEM quality is match by no other. That's not to say that occasionally I don't come across a defective part or one that is packaged wrong, or the count is wrong, but it is far and few between. For example, recently I added up all the parts I've ever ordered from Honda ... 13,404. Of those, 4 have been defective.

·
Vendor
17,784 Posts
SAVE THE SCREENS N PUT IN VENT HOLES TO KEEP THE CRITTERS OUT ….IF YA DONT KEEP A SNAKE IN YOUR GARAGE ! :wink2:
That's the old way. I attached one of those periscope-looking-air-vent-thingies from Polaris side-by-side, to my air ducts. Using duck-tape, and re-shaping it with a heat gun, my newly designed fresh air scope now sticks up 8 feet, and by putting a little bit of engine oil on the outside of it, mice can't climb it.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oem

That's the old way. I attached one of those periscope-looking-air-vent-thingies from Polaris side-by-side, to my air ducts. Using duck-tape, and re-shaping it with a heat gun, my newly designed fresh air scope now sticks up 8 feet, and by putting a little bit of engine oil on the outside of it, mice can't climb it.
Sow hat was the Honda part number for that modification? I know you prefer OEM parts. . . . . .:grin2:

·
Vendor
17,784 Posts
Sow hat was the Honda part number for that modification? I know you prefer OEM parts. . . . . .:grin2:
You are so right ... I should have taken one off of a Honda side-by-side.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I'm one of those. Basically it boils down to not having time to experiment. Sometimes the downside of trying other parts is discovered till months or thousands of miles later. For example, I know someone who'd been using a K&M air filter, and over time, because the K&M does not securely lock the upper and lower parts of the air box together like a ridged OEM air filter does, the lower air box warped. Which meant that for several thousand miles, his air was not filtered. That's an example of poor design not discovered for probably 70,000 miles. Also, Honda's OEM quality is match by no other. That's not to say that occasionally I don't come across a defective part or one that is packaged wrong, or the count is wrong, but it is far and few between. For example, recently I added up all the parts I've ever ordered from Honda ... 13,404. Of those, 4 have been defective.

FWIW, the reason the air box warped was because the installation instructions by K&N were probably not followed. That is one of the biggest mistakes that happens with those filters. It was the same with the GL1500 and many didnt follow the Installation instructions. If you remove the o-ring in the lip on the lower base, the air filter is supposed the fit perfectly in there. On the GL1500's, the o-rings on the top cover and the lip of the base had to be removed. If the directions arent followed, the lid wont completely close and cause the warping you found.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Air filters are just too important to mess with, so it's OEM for me.

On a similar topic, I recently purchased a slightly used Honda Civic. One of the first things i checked was the condition of the air filter. I pulled it out and saw that it was new, probably replaced by the dealer. But it had an odd appearance to it. It looked damp and had an oily feel to it. It turns out Honda puts oiled filters in their cars, or at least some cars.
Not long after I stopped at an auto parts store and checked out their after market filters for my car. All were dry, none were oiled.
It seems sometimes the manufacturers get it right.
So I'm sticking with OEM.
Been a Honda Auto tech for many years but where I work we actually work on everything. Honda seems to be the only manufacture that pre-oils the air filter. And we have fewer issues with debris getting passed an air filter than other makes and models. I have my Wing but for my fat butt I drive a Ford truck. My 2 kids and their spouses all own Honda's from Pilots and Ridgelines Accords and Civics and I guess when the grands get old enough I will be getting them Civics.

·
Registered
163 Posts
That would be a sight to see going down the road. A submersible Goldwing. Yah-:1st:baby

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
A bargain is not always a bargain... especially when talking pennies.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had purchased the Emgo a couple of years ago and found it didn't fit correctly. (It seemed to be too small) I went and purchased an OEM one and fit perfect. Just my experience.

·
Vendor
17,784 Posts
At least it was a learning experience. What's done is done.:banghead:
Thank goodness for the DIYr's. How else would some of us learn. For me, almost everything I read reinforces what not to do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts