GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got home from Chattanooga, TN. with my 2012 (Blue A/C)

Wonderful 540 mile ride, but the heat/index could have been better. Temp 99/100 and humidity you could drink.

I am a first time GW rider/owner, but have had many other makes/models of baggers before.

I think that I'm sold and this bike will probably be my last.

Some observations: minor irritants -

5th gear could be a little taller... kept looking for that 6th gear.

Grips have a way too small diameter. Tried my riding gloves and w/o. Forearms got a little sore from what I think was having to have maintain a tighter grip on the small diameter. Throttle side grip seemed to be binding a little.. nothing to do with the linkage, but however this is mounted. Feels like it is sticking on whatever part rotates on the handlebar. Never had trouble with my other bikes. Will rectify that shortly. A how to is solicited.

Pegs seem to be in the wrong place for me.
I needed to put my feet on the ground right where they are located. Snagged my jeans many times when trying to put my foot/feet down.
Peg would catch the bottom of my jeans, leaving my foot about 3" from the ground...would have to quickly lift, clear and then hit pavement. Guess I'll get used to that or ??

Annoying howl at road speed from the engine area and not exhaust. I can only equate the sound to something like the whistle-turbo sound of a diesel pick-up, add slightly metalic. Maybe this is normal ???

Things I liked:

Lots of torque - twist the throttle in any gear and it's there.

Fairing - yesterday's ride was hot, 99/100 indicated all day long. I put my hand way down and outside of the fairing to feel what I would classify as convection oven heat... never felt any of this on my legs.

Windscreen great. I moved it all the way up, had the vent open about 3/4 way and my helmet, for the first time, felt comfortable. It usually was good for scrambling eggs and a good headache after a while.

Seat was real comfortable. Also had that 'new car' smell.

Very nimble. Felt like I was riding with a much smaller width front tire. Suspension took Illinois pot holes and heat burps real well. Haven't figured where the rear setting needs to be yet.

Brakes... whooaa. All I could want and more.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Try grip puppies to cure the small stock grips. They slide over the stock grips and don't interfere with the heat from the stock grips.

http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycles/GRIPPUP.html

Like any other different bike you ride you have to used to the foot peg placement, when I went from my Wing to a Concours 1400 I had a real hard time adjusting but now it's no problem.
The engine whine is normal, some are louder than others, turn up the radio!! Enjoy your new bike.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts

Wonderful 540 mile ride, but the heat/index could have been better. Temp 99/100 and humidity you could drink.

I am a first time GW rider/owner, but have had many other makes/models of baggers before.

Have never noticed that on mine!

Grips have a way too small diameter. Tried my riding gloves and w/o. Forearms got a little sore from what I think was having to have maintain a tighter grip on the small diameter. Throttle side grip seemed to be binding a little.. nothing to do with the linkage, but however this is mounted. Feels like it is sticking on whatever part rotates on the handlebar. Never had trouble with my other bikes. Will rectify that shortly. A how to is solicited.
http://www.shop.shinhopples.com/category.sc?categoryId=103

I needed to put my feet on the ground right where they are located. Snagged my jeans many times when trying to put my foot/feet down.
Peg would catch the bottom of my jeans, leaving my foot about 3" from the ground...would have to quickly lift, clear and then hit pavement. Guess I'll get used to that or ??

Annoying howl at road speed from the engine area and not exhaust. I can only equate the sound to something like the whistle-turbo sound of a diesel pick-up, add slightly metalic. Maybe this is normal ???
Most likely the alternator-Welcome to the Wing!

Things I liked:

Fairing - yesterday's ride was hot, 99/100 indicated all day long. I put my hand way down and outside of the fairing to feel what I would classify as convection oven heat... never felt any of this on my legs.
Coming off the radiators

Windscreen great. I moved it all the way up, had the vent open about 3/4 way and my helmet, for the first time, felt comfortable. It usually was good for scrambling eggs and a good headache after a while.

Very nimble. Felt like I was riding with a much smaller width front tire. Suspension took Illinois pot holes and heat burps real well. Haven't figured where the rear setting needs to be yet.

Have fun.

·
Registered
559 Posts
As others have said before - turn up the radio loud enough, and you won't hear the engine whine !! (But you may hear your neighbors whine !!)

·
Registered
155 Posts

Things I liked:

Dont you chaps over the pond have cameras:congrats: share us some pic's please

·
Registered
4,841 Posts

Things I liked:

You get over the 5th gear thing once you are used to the bike. It is a 6 cylinder and is firing at three times the rate of a twin and 1.5 times the rate of a four, so it sounds like it needs to shift when it really doesn't until you get used to it.

It takes a few riding hours to adjust to the peg position, but it becomes automatic pretty quickly.

Congrats on the new bike. You'll love it.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How was the sales transaction experience? Was it what you expected?
Bing, bang, boom... out the door. Real easy transaction.

Now getting there was another experience I'll save for later.

Envision 14.5 hours on Greyhound. First time and last time, EVER.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. When I first started riding a goldwing I was used to my feet being more forward and added some kury hiway pegs. I have found that I very seldom use them anymore as I have found the stock pegs to be in a location that is good for the long haul.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Congratulations on the new ride! The looks of the 2012 are growing on me. Some of the small improvements they made I think are indeed significant.

Maybe we'll finally get the 6-Speed tranny for 2024.:roll:

·
Registered
267 Posts
:congrats: on your ride and you pick a great color.

·
Registered
20 Posts

I have the same problem. A sixth gear would lower the rpms, engine whine, and raise mpg.
Go will a Utopia backrest, the grips are fine. This will help with sore forearms, back, shoulders. With all that power, a backrest helps.
You'll get use to it, all bikes are different. Try the ****-O-Pegs for the highway, they are the best.

Things I liked:

Let us know how you like the '12 when you get a few more miles.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Congrats on the new Wing. Thanks for the review. Looking for the update as you have more time to ride.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The engine whine you hear has typically been atributed to alternater whine.
Don't know if that is what yours is but could be.
I have an 03, only occasionally is the alternater whine load enough to be noticable to me. But I have some hearing loss too.
I don't remember haveing a problem with foot pegs placement. But it has been several years now I have been rideing mine. You will get used to it.
Congrats and enjoy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts