GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my little intro of myself to the fla section. i've riding up to chatanooga next friday to trade in my 1250 bandit for a new goldwing. after taking a 3400 mile trip on my bandit over the fourth, i found that i liked long trips but the bandit was not the bike for it. so...yesterday i went to honda of jax and tried on the wings. they would not drop their list price at all. they went so far as to tell me that if i bought a bike in tenn, i would have to take it back there to get it serviced! i got home and called the service dept and found then salesman to be a lyer as i expected. So...i plan on picking my bike up and ride the cherohala and deals gar to get my picture on the new bike. that's the only tiume i ride the gap, when i get a new bike. then i'll ride the brp up to blueridege campground and possibly on to willville in va, then slab back to jax. i plan on camping. anybody want to join me?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
:congrats: on the new Wing! I hope you like it as much as we like ours! Lot's of good info on the "Tech" and "How to Do" forums. Search is your friend and if you can't find what you are looking for just ask!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
You have a PM.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
:congrats: on the new bike! I know you will like it. I just got one myself and I only have 500 miles on it so far!

I'll get meet you and see your bike this winter in Fl. I get there the first part of Nov. Gil

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
We're leaving Saturday the 20th., heading to Tellico Plains to do an annual week long BRP ride . PM me your phone number if you wish.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Kitesurfer, congrats on your soon to be new Wing. I bought my '08 Airbag Wing from Southern Powersports in Chattanoga and they were excellent to deal with. I ran into the same thing with Honda of Jacksonville and St. Augustine as you did, they would not come off their asking price, and Souther Powersports beat their price by $4000. If you can, buy the Honda extended warranty while in Tennessee because you can't buy it in Florida. Souther Powersports will try and sell you their warranty, don't buy it, stick with the Honda extended warranty. Also, they tried to sell the Honda extended warranty to me for $699 and I told them I can buy it online from DLP for $499 (and showed them on their computer) and they met the price. Enjoy your new Wing, you're gonna love it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Congrats!

I bought my '12 there 3 weeks ago.

Good people to work with.

(Hey Calvin, did you see this? Where is my crisp, new $20 bill) :joke:

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
He changed his mind. I talked to him yesterday on the phone. He's getting it from St. Augustine. They matched Southern's price and threw in lifetime tires. Gonna be a red one when it comes in. Congrats to him.:congrats:

·
Registered
159 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea, that tires for life was the clincher...even better than a free loaner bike, come get it and deliver back for free, and everyone in the dealership was friendly and personable. Honda of jax told lies, salesmen new very little about goldwings both times i went. i justt wonder what kind of tires I'll get for life?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Congratulations on the new ride. After riding the Bandit - the Wing should feel much better on long trips! This 2008 is my 5th Wing and all have been high mile rides.

Retired and Riding - Love it! :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Congrats on the new bike from another Jacksonville "native."

When you decide to start installing accessories, shoot me a PM if you need help or guidance. And before you start dropping big bucks at a dealership for maintenance, let me know and I'll teach you how to save some money.

Good luck and enjoy the new scoot.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my new bike will be ready at 0900 tomorrow :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Glad to hear it's worked out for you, kitesurfer.
Heading to the parkway in the next day or two. I'll smile for ya. :p
One of my favorite places.
OB

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I truly loved my 03 Bandit 1200S, but only miss it about once a month now that I've bonded with my 05 GL1800 Anniversary. Nothing beats wanting to continue to ride when you're 300 miles out... :biker: !

Congratulations on the new ride. After riding the Bandit - the Wing should feel much better on long trips! This 2008 is my 5th Wing and all have been high mile rides.

Retired and Riding - Love it! :thumbup:

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BARTMAN, thanks for your generous offer! I sure could use a few tips on this bike. the salesmen were no help with anything about this bike. i don't even know how long the warranty is but i will read my owners manual again today. the service manager showed me a few things but he admitted to not being a wing rider annd not well versed. my first visit to st auggy honda was great! i was in a hurry and didn't ask a lot of questions. second visit to pick up the bike was just plain dealership norms. the finance guy--if that is what he is called-- almost blew the deal. no bedside manner, no smile, no knowledge at all. offered me 3 warranties but did not offer any information at all on any of them. could be i had my own money so he was not going to waste my time. for that experience, i sort of wished i had bought in tenn!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Welcome to Wingdome...........

Congrats on the Wing choice. Stay close to Bart, he will steer you in the right direction. My experience indicates there are only so many "volume" GoldWing dealers around. If they are taking big dollars off of retail and closing a ton of deals annually they are probably very knowledgeable. My last two Wings came from Schroader's in Hendersonville and I was quite satisfied. In a couple of months we will start our RTE on Saturdays and you will want to join us.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
BARTMAN, thanks for your generous offer! I sure could use a few tips on this bike. the salesmen were no help with anything about this bike. i don't even know how long the warranty is but i will read my owners manual again today. the service manager showed me a few things but he admitted to not being a wing rider annd not well versed. my first visit to st auggy honda was great! i was in a hurry and didn't ask a lot of questions. second visit to pick up the bike was just plain dealership norms. the finance guy--if that is what he is called-- almost blew the deal. no bedside manner, no smile, no knowledge at all. offered me 3 warranties but did not offer any information at all on any of them. could be i had my own money so he was not going to waste my time. for that experience, i sort of wished i had bought in tenn!
Yeah, it's sad you had to experience that. When I bought mine, I tried my best to buy from HOJ or St. Augustine and both dealerships were so clueless, I ended up going to Honda of Sumter in Sumter, SC. I had an excellent experience there and was able to become very familiar with the bike on the ride home.

Good for you reading the manual. It's sad that more people don't do that. It's full of a lot of good information.

My recommendation is that you never visit your dealer again, useless you absolutely have to go for warranty work. Oil, tires, brakes, fluid changes, all of that you can do yourself if you have some basic wrenching skills. If not, bring it to me and I'll do it for you and I'm a hell of a lot less expensive than the dealer and I'll treat the bike like it was my own.

As far as accessories, I'll help you save some money on those too. You can save a lot of money buying your "farkles" online and if you need help installing them, hit me up.

If you want to do lunch one day, let me know and we'll meet up somewhere. I live in Mandarin and Hooter's on San Jose is always a good place for food and atmosphere.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bartman, i'm going to harbour freight tomorow and buy a trailer kit. i also need to buy a hitch. what hitch do you suggest? i also know nothing about electrical. is that something that you do, or should i take it to a dealer?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts