GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't want to hijack the other thread, so I thought I'd start my own.

I've wanted a GW for a long time... it was my "dream" bike.. I test rode one a couple of years ago and did not hear "buy me".. not sure why...I knew I'd have to upgrade the suspension if I wanted to ride it like the yellow wolf guy in the deal's gap video. :lol:

So... fast forward two years... I tried the 2012 model and loved it. I brought her home:

Having owned BMW's for the last 15 years, I've made the switch because I wasn't happy with their quirks and some of the design issues. I'm heading from Denver to Durango area today and will be touring Colorado for the next week.

I don't need to tell you what a great bike this is... and the newly redone seat is fantastic. I'm thinking it just might be a day long seat.. we'll see.. I do like the blacked out treatment on the engine covers and headlights.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
:congrats: Enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Yeah, baby! You got the fastest color! I was sitting right where you are with my new Wing two Junes ago. I know just how you feel. You have found a great way to break her in. You will be totally amazed how the Wing just seems to blow through the uphill tugs. Ride on, ride happy, ride safe but what ever you do just RIDE!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that I'm getting the full Traxxion treatment in a couple of week$. I know it's not a sport touring bike, but I'm not gonna let that stop me! My wife LOVES the throne. I had a K1600GTL for a couple of months, it's a great handling bike, but the passenger grab handles and penthouse seating didn't go over big with my wife, so the bike is gone, plus it was starting to give me trouble with certain systems not working as intended. The Goldwing is the bike I should have had all along. To satisfy my BMW habit of having a gear indicator, I bought one and will add it after this trip... and I have zero regrets...I don't miss the explosive power of the K1600... I've never had a speeding ticket riding a bike in my over 20 years of riding and if I had kept the K1600, that would have been all over..

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Mingo, thanks for the post, and congrats on the new bike. You're gonna luv it! And while it may not be a sport touring bike in the strictest of terms, it's not far from it, despite the size and weight. You'll find that out as you tour around Colorado. It is a very capable bike and not afraid of any twistied, and more than likely capable of way more than most of us are.

That said, it's good to have a report, however brief, regarding the K1600 you had. There have been a lot of posts about it, but mostly from the standpoint of a short test ride or tire kicking, so to speak. You've been riding BMW's for 15 years, so you ought to have a good perspective from a rider's and owner's standpoint, so your evaluation has to be spot on. It was brief, but says it all. I think you made the right choice. Makes my mind up regarding the K bike.

Thanks again, and enjoy.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
:congrats: on your new ride. If you would, keep us posted on how it does for you.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That said, it's good to have a report, however brief, regarding the K1600 you had. .
Thank you. I will give you a more detailed comparo from MY point of view between the K16GTL and the Wing upon my return home. Right now, I only have a 100 miles on the Wing. (I had signed up for an organized tour of colorado, where the tour organizer would ship the bikes from the east, and we fly in and ride and then fly home.. no point in riding across Kansas or Nebraska in summer! The plan was to take the K16, but I got the Wing a day before the bikes were supposed to be trucked.)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. Looking forward to your reviews after you get a chance to put some miles on the new bike. Enjoy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nice one it looks great (more pics please, WELL DONE i think you will love it Red too!:congrats:

also i have a red air bag model on order to be shipped to me here in the UK can you tell me what GB stick you can use for music as sometimes if you put like a 64gb in the drive will not be read, so i was thinking maybe 32gb.. does it say owt in your book? Please.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
:congrats::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: looks nice

·
Registered
115 Posts
:congrats: on your new ride, I too have had a new wing in the stable for 2 weeks now! Enjoy

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to our group. Goldwings are great machines.

Mine is an "old one." A '10 purchased in January.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Gratz and best of luck. Hope they tie it down right for the trip. Will be interesting on your 2 cent comparison after some miles on it. :coffee1:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
:congrats: On the bike, and as someone else said, you got the fastest color.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
The more i look at the 2012s the more dated my 2010 looks:eek:4::eek:4:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Congrats on your new bike!!! My new 2012 has a little of the 40-45 wobble in the handle bars just like some of the other older bikes had! Have you noticed any on yours?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts