GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for inviting me into your forum. I'm the new owner of a 2002 GL 1800 and am looking forward to tapping into the experience and expertice here. Hopefully I can contribute something too. I also own a 2004 VTX 1300 and a 1988 GL 1500 that I brought back from the dead after the former owner ran into the back of a car on the interstate. He survived with minor injuries, but the bike required lots of wrenching and a bit of money on my part.

I have one tiny question though about the 1800. How do you properly remove those plastic button fasteners that are used on the plastics? Does the inner button have to be pulled out prior to removal? Thanks and I am looking forward to making your aquaintance.

Chopper

·
Registered
761 Posts
Welcome to the best place on earth to learn and share about the GL1800. Lots of expertise here. You will enjoy both the time spent here and on your GW. :biker:

·
Chard Member
12,996 Posts
Welcome! :)

On some of the plastic rivets you have to push in the very center. Those are the flush ones. On some you pull out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
chopper246 said:
Hi Everyone,

I have one tiny question though about the 1800. How do you properly remove those plastic button fasteners that are used on the plastics? Does the inner button have to be pulled out prior to removal? Thanks and I am looking forward to making your aquaintance.

Chopper
The fasteners on the two front storage bins you need to push the center button, the rest of the fasteners you pull.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Welcome chopper 246 ... I am also the new (July) owner of a "previously ridden" 2002 1800 ... keep in touch ... my former bike was an '85 GL1200 ... pretty "cherry" and I got to know her fairly intimatly ... :oops:

I

·
0 Posts
If they have a flush top surface, press on the center with a pointed tool, then pull them out and reset them by pulling the pin in the center fully out to reinstall, then push the center pin back down so it is flush.

If they have a protruding center pin, just pull out to remove, and push back in after reinserting in place to reinstall and lock in place.

The ones that hold in the dash pockets are the flush type. The ones behind your front wheel holding the center cowling in place are the other style. Both types are easily identifyable.

Both types are Jesus fasteners. As in "Jesus C****T, where did it go" :lol:

Ride safe.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Welcome chopper246
Welcome cgent
A little known fact about the 2002 Gl1800's...Theeeey don't bounce good!
(I have no experience with any other year concerning this particular
peculiarity) :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
20,986 Posts
i use a ballpoint pen to press down the center of the lat rivets, that way i can't push it to far and loose the center part :oops:

the other rivets just pull out on the head

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To all those who replied, thanks for the warm welcome and the fastener information.
Chopper

1 - 9 of 9 Posts