GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know, Max and Penske have been doing some work together on the rear shock. Max is trying to get it so he can do it all in house. In wanting to do that Penske and him had to make some minor tweaks to the shock. Max can correct me if I am wrong on this, however.

Max was gracious enough to let me be his test bunny. I am oh so humbled by that, and very appeciative.

I have ridden about 250 miles since it was installed. I have done about 50/50 highway and backroads. I have not had the chance to take it to the mountains yet and ride my favorite roads though. I hope to do this on Sunday. I was one of the first to have installed the Traxxion front springs, I also did the All Balls, and Kury Brace. I did all of this on seperate occasions so I could feel the differnce in all phases. Now I have the rear shock I can give a good opinion on the ride.

My bike was starting to pogo stick as I like to call it. You would hit an exit ramp pretty hard and you could feel the rear end wanting to dance back there. You wont feel this unless you really ride hard and push the enevelope. My adjuster was not hitting until about 8 on the dash. So I knew my back shock was trashed. I ride moslty 1 up and I have 55k on my 05.

While just cruising down the highway the bike is butter smooth. It feels like it is firmly planted to the road. On the highway before I could barley feel a little hop as I went along. Like the pavement wasnt very smooth. Now its nothing but smooth as silk.

On the twisties is where I am most happy. Wherever I point the front end it goes. I have not had enough of backroads yet to really push it like I can, but I will. The roads I have been on I can tell you that it just feels like the bike and you are one piece now. You feel so confident in what the bike can do. This is what the bike should have been like from the factory. It is exactly like I have been saying all along about the Traxxion set up since I first rode a full blown setup, its like somebody shaved off 300 lbs from the bike. I cant explain it any better than that, it just feels like a tighter,smaller bike. After I run it this weekend I can add to this. I just installed new rear brakes and rotor. So I am primed and ready to go.

Max and the guys at Traxxion have done a great job at making this bike what it is today. It is that I am so thankful for.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Toyo; rember to take care as you get used to the difference. Looking forward to the report.

BTW; why did you need new rotor at such low miles on an OH FIVE?

prs

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
OK, nice report.

Now, how does the suspension work with a car tire mounted?

:lol:

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason I wanted a new rotor was I had tried a brand of pads and they really ate into my rotor. You could run your finger nail on the rotor and it really had alot of grooves. I was able to pick up the rotor off of a trike. It looked liked it had 10 miles on it. $30.00 bucks so I took it.

Dan, Of course you can sit on it. Hav eyou ever sat on the fastest color?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Toyo said:
Dan, Of course you can sit on it. Hav eyou ever sat on the fastest color?

Make sure you don't leave the key in it! :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
We can buy this gear here in the UK. those that have it have all been very positive. Tell me has anyone fitted it to a new (ish) bike and then noticed a 'real' difference? You are bound to on a well used machine but is it that much different on a new one, HELP I want to spend my money!!!!!! :oops:

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Toyo!?!

Do you mean t' say you painted that bananna black? :lol:

prs

·
Registered
732 Posts
Budweiser wrote:
We can buy this gear here in the UK. those that have it have all been very positive. Tell me has anyone fitted it to a new (ish) bike and then noticed a 'real' difference? You are bound to on a well used machine but is it that much different on a new one, HELP I want to spend my money!!!!!!
I put the front and back on at 14,000 miles and I could definitely feel the difference. Really a pleasure to ride now. But, you won't know unless you ride one with it or you have your wing done. Too many positive comments about the performance difference to ignore. It is a lot of $ but worth it IMHO.
Refer to....> http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... hp?t=73354
Good luck in your decision making.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Budweiser said:
We can buy this gear here in the UK. those that have it have all been very positive. Tell me has anyone fitted it to a new (ish) bike and then noticed a 'real' difference? You are bound to on a well used machine but is it that much different on a new one, HELP I want to spend my money!!!!!! :oops:
Well Bud, I had an 02 and the stock suspension didn't get it. I changed it over to progressive supsension (all that was available at the time in 03) and it was some improvement. I installed the Traxxion Dynamics suspension on the new 07 with ZERO miles on it. The improvement over the stock and progressive setups is impressive.
DC

·
Registered
567 Posts
Should I hesitate doing this because my '02 has 73K on it? I plan on at least doubling the mileage before I get another (if then, unless there has been a new standard set for tourers). I seem to do about 18-20K/year.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Karl of PDX said:
Should I hesitate doing this because my '02 has 73K on it? I plan on at least doubling the mileage before I get another (if then, unless there has been a new standard set for tourers). I seem to do about 18-20K/year.
Karl
I don't know if you have done any maintance on your forks or not but at 73K miles they are well past due. With the upgrades it will be like you bought a new bike.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today was the day I was waiting for. ArnButtBill, Trialsman, HelmetDance and I went to the mountains. I set the suspension at 15. I was able to push it as hard as I could without any problems at all. The bike took everything I could throw at her. The rear Metzler broke loose only one time in a hard turn while powering out. On the way home I hit my favorite road which is 129. I stopped at put the suspension on 22. Holy smokes that rear end rose up like an animal. The clearance is unbeliavable, its almost like a hot rod back in the days when you had air shocks in the rear. I could take those turns at any speed and angle I wanted. I just get over how that rear shock can make such a difference. Its truly amazing.

When you are mild to medium type roads you just simply turn and relax. No effort at all is needed, it just tracks so nice. I cant say enough about it.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
I am surprised you can run the adjuster that high with the new rear shock. I can't run the original Traxxion rear shock past 10, even two-up and fully loaded.

The spring rate is so much stiffer to begin with, that you don't need nearly as much pre-load to get the sag set correct. Too much pre-load makes the top end of the shock really harsh and small bumps won't even compress the spring at all.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fred, I wanted to bring it up to see what the difference would be. I will say the higher you bring it the more you feel the tar snakes. Its that sensitive, or I guess that much planted to the road. You get used to it after a couple of miles and dont even think about it. However if you hit a hard bumo its not that harsh. Confuses the hell out of me, but it works.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I went up to the Tail this weekend

I also have the front to rear X suspension. I put the rear at 25 hoping for all the clearance I could get. I was in a turn heavy and the peg started dragging (nothing unusual), so I eased off the peg with my boot so the feeler would wear so much. In the middle of the curve was a small dip. The bike compressed a little and the front crash bar touched down. :shock:
This was the first for me. I didn't know what caused it. Too much rear, jacked up, causing the bar to hit? At wing stock I scrapped my right exhaust shield but not the crash bar. This weekend it was the left crash bar and not the shield. At wing stock I didn't have the X susp on the bike.
I backed down the rear to about 20 the rest of the day which was only two passes.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Toyo said:
However if you hit a hard bumo its not that harsh. Confuses the hell out of me, but it works.
Toyo, I've noticed the same. Even at very high settings the ride is still very good. The attitude of the bike stance is huge though.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts