GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been enjoying my c/t for a while now and I have made my own video of ground contact. It is not of great quality but is good enough for me to keep the c/t on for touring. I do not push the limits but did run a good bit harder than normal to see how it worked. Well I did scrape the pegs a few times at 50 mph. I held A tape measure up to the tire for referance and it looks like it went down close to 2 1/2" of contact with the road, but A m/t being round will have only about 1 1/2" of contact at any time, even when straight up. The c/t never once tried to go on the side wall, but you could see the center grouve pull like it as bending to the inside of the turn keeping contact with the road. I did feel the front tire [dunlop E/3] try to slip A little on some sand in the road. I taped about 30 mins. of rideing but I'm not to brite when it comes to A p/c. I will ask A friend of mine to edit some of it and post it for me on this site. I will NOT tell anyone to go to the c/t, I did this for my own peace of mind as to how it reacts to the road, and I'm pleased. If I were A racer it might be differant, but then I would not be rideing A touring bike, and anyone useing A touring bike for raceing ain't to smart anyway. I will try to get it edited and posted as quick as I can. Alan :excited:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Good for you Alan. :clap2: But be prepared for a bunch of negative comments from people who don't know what you know - in fact, seem to prefer ignorance to knowledge. They'll drop in, post a negative comment based on... uh, nothing except the false notion that they know more about the subject than you do, and then they'll leave, hopefully never to return. Kind of remind me of a bunch of birds that fly over, drop some stuff as they pass. Know what I mean? :lol:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Good for you Alan! I'm glad someone else made a video. I was Too Afraid of trashing my camera out on the highway. I'm anxious to see your video. But as AKLDRIDER said "But be prepared for a bunch of negative comments".

Ride Safe and God Bless,

Harold

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
AKLDRIDER said:
Good for you Alan. :clap2: But be prepared for a bunch of negative comments from people who don't know what you know - in fact, seem to prefer ignorance to knowledge. They'll drop in, post a negative comment based on... uh, nothing except the false notion that they know more about the subject than you do, and then they'll leave, hopefully never to return. Kind of remind me of a bunch of birds that fly over, drop some stuff as they pass. Know what I mean? :lol:
Easy now - :wink:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Bluewoo said:
AKLDRIDER said:
Bluewoo - you're one of the few who actually sticks around to discuss things with us. Doesn't matter if you don't want to try the car tires - that's a personal decision that no one else can fault. At least you ask questions and participate. You're welcome to keep posting in these threads - you're a gentleman about it. :yes1:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I've tried to video the tire but can't get close enough to the ground to see the tire in contact with the road. The video shows the tire a few degrees after its contact. I'm trying to figure out a way to film from the outside looking under the tire. 'Been busy moving and stuff so I've been off the project for a while. I use a cheap USB lense so I won't destroy much.

Tom Franken

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Your title should say it all , its YOUR opinion. Good Luck

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I am interested in viewing the video ... i commend you for sharing your findings... if we never explore new territory... we would still be walking or riding horses...

cosmic

·
Registered
239 Posts
Nice Alan, definitely looking forward to seeing the video. I also have been running a car tire for 9000 miles on my '04 Wing and have no regrets so far. Will be replacing it with another car tire when it wears out, which looks like it may be about two years down the road. Have been getting alot of comments on it.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
AKLDRIDER said:
Bluewoo said:
AKLDRIDER said:
Bluewoo - you're one of the few who actually sticks around to discuss things with us. Doesn't matter if you don't want to try the car tires - that's a personal decision that no one else can fault. At least you ask questions and participate. You're welcome to keep posting in these threads - you're a gentleman about it. :yes1:
Thank you very much. I find this interesting and like to read the good stuff. I know nobody who runs a CT so I just put in my $1.00 every now and then. My wife can't understand why I do not watch alot of T.V. :lol: I would like to see more Profesionals get involved in this topic like the one in the Goldwing Magazine. This may end up like Carl Sagans catch phrase(billions and billions) of post and still no scientific expliantion "why or why not " and thats our question we try to answer on this subject. I'm still getting used my GW and I had a Hayabusa before this( night/day ) and I find this idea is very interesting since the rear tire cost about the same for either bike...... :roll:
Hope to see more video footage thats for sure -Good stuff -

Patrick

·
Registered
806 Posts
Been watching this car tire thing for some time now and am wondering?
What kind of mileage are you guys getting out of the car tire, both MPG and tire life?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Cockleburr said:
Been watching this car tire thing for some time now and am wondering?
What kind of mileage are you guys getting out of the car tire, both MPG and tire life?
MPG stayed the same - 32 - 52 depending on how I ride; ~38 normally and I use a fair amount of throttle; low 40's at 65 - 70; 50 at 50.

Longevity of the first car tire was 35K - about what I expected.

Longevity is the least of the benefits! Think, "Better, safer ride."

·
Registered
812 Posts
Hold the phone!

I have watched the various car tire threads for a few months now (I'm a newbie to the list) and had always assumed that folks were trying car tires on their bikes for financial benefit. As such, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the arguments because I wasn't interested in saving a little money at the risk of my skin. Now I see that the reasons for using car tires are safety/performance related and I'm all ears. Can someone briefly restate the arguments for switching or post a link pointing me in the right direction.
Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65510

This has a lot of information and links to other places. Read and make up your own mind. I like the CT that I run however I don't feel that it would always be the best one for everybody's riding. Your signature shows N.GA. That covers a lot of good bent roads. I live a little south of most of them.
gary

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Analysttom said:
Hold the phone!

Can someone briefly restate the arguments for switching or post a link pointing me in the right direction.
Thanks
Start here:
www.tomfranken.com/darkside

and
http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/ ... kSide.html.

In a nutshell:
Advantages: much smoother ride, more traction (particularly in wet/slick conditions, when exiting corners hard, or when running hole-shots if you are so inclined), more stable (particularly on damaged/grooved surfaces, bad weather, or the intentional or unintentional spinning of the tire), more durable (i.e. less like to suffer disabling damages), and (with run-flat technology) an ability to continue riding even with a damaged tire. And the absolute last thing you should worry about, the tires are cheaper and last more than twice as long.

Nuetral: cornering since the lean angle of the 'Wing limitss the cornering ability of the 'Wing.

Potential disadvantages from experience: the bike gets heavy if only part of the width of tire is supported such as riding in a rut; must be counter-steered; might be less stable at speeds over 100 (mixed reports).

Potential disadvantages from guesses with no basis for judgement: Tire will come off rim (well over a million combine Darksider miles and no tire has come off a rim); the sidewalls will over heat (car tires are rated for over twice the weight we put on them and one was tested to be COOLER than a M/T); the insurance company will blame the car tire for an accident and deny payment or drop coverage (assumes some other cause such as rider error will not be obvious but it's never been tested as no Darksider has wrecked that I know of).

Feel free to contact me off-list if you have specific questions.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts