GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My spare rim freshly powder coated (what I call brake dust grey) with new Alpin and new Tire Watch TPMS installed.

Ain't no way that big SOB is gonna fit!

I'll be darn....it fit. Not too bad at all. Sprayed a little silicon spray where it rubbed.

Lasty is is a pic of the Stone I just took off. Only about 4500miles on it and pretty flat in the middle. Got a previously purchased set of spare Stones in case I find I don't care for the ct. I'm gonna give the ct a fair shake and if I like it the way most of you do I will sell the new rear Stone.

Hope to ride on it for first time tomorrow and at same time program my new TPMS.

Thanks to to all who helped along the way. I'll give a report after a couple thousand miles.

Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Darkside

WELCOME to the Darkside. As you put on the miles you will understand why there are so many of us on the road. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Good job, HD!! Best wishes as you move forward with that new Alpin. You might want to keep one of those rear 'Stones in case you need to take the bike to a CT-unfriendly shop.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
:congrats::clap2::clap2::clap2::1st:

·
Registered
7,375 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
My spare rim freshly powder coated (what I call brake dust grey) with new Alpin and new Tire Watch TPMS installed.

Ain't no way that big SOB is gonna fit!

I'll be darn....it fit. Not too bad at all. Sprayed a little silicon spray where it rubbed.

Lasty is is a pic of the Stone I just took off. Only about 4500miles on it and pretty flat in the middle. Got a previously purchased set of spare Stones in case I find I don't care for the ct. I'm gonna give the ct a fair shake and if I like it the way most of you do I will sell the new rear Stone.

Hope to ride on it for first time tomorrow and at same time program my new TPMS.

Thanks to to all who helped along the way. I'll give a report after a couple thousand miles.

Dan
Very nice!! :thumbup: Welcome to the Dark Side!!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good job, HD!! Best wishes as you move forward with that new Alpin. You might want to keep one of those rear 'Stones in case you need to take the bike to a CT-unfriendly shop.
Good idea Elrod, had not thought of that.

I couldn't wait till tomorrow to try it out so I took about an hour spin in some slight rain at 39dg. I was expecting a major difference in handling & feel but it really wasn't that big of deal. Rode some country roads to a large parking lot area and did some full lock turns. I was very pleasantly surprised. I did the turns just as easily as I had before with the Stone. So far so good.

The biggest plus from my first ride on a ct is that I can tell the wife will love the new softer ride. THAT was very noticeable. Can't wait to take her on a ride....bet she notices right away. Haven't said anything to her about the switch.

Dan

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Welcome aboard! That alpin handles so close to a mc tire that you will soon totally forget its back there! It's great on wet pavement---- SO MUCH better than a mc tire!

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Welcome to the club, Hoosier Daddy.
I know your gonna enjoy it. As flat as that Stone is, maybe your already broke in for a CT.
thecruiser

·
Registered
2,479 Posts

I couldn't wait till tomorrow to try it out so I took about an hour spin in some slight rain at 39dg. I was expecting a major difference in handling & feel but it really wasn't that big of deal. Rode some country roads to a large parking lot area and did some full lock turns. I was very pleasantly surprised. I did the turns just as easily as I had before with the Stone. So far so good.

The biggest plus from my first ride on a ct is that I can tell the wife will love the new softer ride. THAT was very noticeable. Can't wait to take her on a ride....bet she notices right away. Haven't said anything to her about the switch.

Dan
Good report, HD! It sounds like so many others. Glad you took it out in wet, 39F weather to see how it grips in the wet. Keep the reports coming!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Welcome to the Darkside. Almost disappointing that the ct isn't the big change one expects the first ride. I have over 17 k on my first Alpin and it's almost finished. New Alpin on standby just waiting it's turn. Ahh....the DS is good.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Always best to test ride those things in the wet. This way when the wonky tire explodes and bursts into flames, there is plenty of water around to put it out. :lol:

Enjoy the new ride. I'm sure your wife will appreciate the softer ride. I know mine does.

Dan

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Welcome to the safe side! Your rims look great!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts