GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive been asked by a few people for an explanation of how i get a route planned in Kurviger to work with the Honda Nav.

Here is my workflow.

Kurviger - Your Motorcycle Route Planner 🗺+〰+🏍=😍

1-click on advanced opts
I have checked the following:
-Avoid toll roads
-Avoid unpaved roads
-Miles/Ft
-Avoid narrow roads
2-Choose English
3-Choose highway(far left icon)
-There are 4 opts available
Highway, straight back roads, curvy and super curvy

I have more control choosing highway. I just click a point and drag the route to the road I want, making sure the way point IS ON THE ROAD. its easier to drag a route from the highway to a curvy back road than it is to drag a route from a curvy back road to a less curvy back road or highway.
Sometimes the blue line is off the road, make sure you find a spot near by where it gets back on the road and place the way point there.
This is very important. Honda thinks a way point is a destination so itll reroute you incessantly until you get to it and youll have to manually delete it on the fly

I choose highway because If you choose curvy or very curvy it can sometimes reroute you through subdivisions, etc...
You can reroute it but it can take a lot of way points to get you back on the road you want

I make sure I dont place my way points in intersections. On highways or multiple lane roads,
i place it on the side Im riding. ie, in the north bound lane if im traveling north

Kurviger works with GPS coordinates. Its a european based program so if it cant pinpoint
an exact address, do a gps search on that address and enter the coordinates instead.
I havent run into that problem, but just be aware of it. I enter my start address and my
finish address like normal, but the way points will show up as coordinates, as you choose them.
Its click and drag. click on the road it recommends, and drag it to the road youd rather take.

If you right click on a way point that you have placed, you get several opts
One is "show on google maps" if you click that, google maps will come up
I like to click on the satellite view to get a good look at the area.
I chose a gravel road once and it acted funny. when i zoomed in
with the sat view it showed me my error. this also helps when im trying to get on/off a
major road from a curvy road and there is no entrance/exit to it. youll get a loopy section that you cant click and drag

if you place a point and the routing is screwy chances are you placed it in a wrong place.
ie, wrong side of the road or in an inaccessible entrance.
Also, In google maps i can search for
restaurants, gas stations, etc. and plot a way point.

When I took my wife for her first trip i only wanted to do about 150 mi between stops
so id plot a point about 150 mi and search the area for a restaurant, fuel stop

4-in the way point listing, top left you can delete a point by using the X or move them up and down to change the order

5-Ive used the round trip option as well. you enter a distance, how far you want to go,
and a direction and itll come up with a route for you. in this mode, i usually choose curvy or extra curvy
I planned a route from indiana to Kentucky, as i would normally. the next day i wanted to ride the roads
in that area of kentucky and return to the hotel, so i used the extra curvy round trip option.
it planned a great route for us

6-Saving. I played around with this for 3 weeks, trying every possibility in order to get it to load into
the honda nav as i planned it. a lot of trial and error. this is what i found works consistently each time

***before I save, i click on every way point to make sure its on the road and the side of the road i want
and see how many way points your route has

A-press "Export"
B-Name the route
C-leave route format as shown "*.gpx
D-IMPORTANT Choose "way points" and uncheck "track" or "Route". those two didnt play well with the honda nav
E-click on "count" and enter 5 more than the number of way points you have in your route
**Ive found that if I choose too many, it can add way points, or too few itll take away
F-click on "export" to download to your computer
G-insert the correct USB drive into your computer and transfer the route to the root drive.
I dont like to use sub folders. I have a usb drive just for transferring routes to the bike,
with nothing else on it. the bike recognizes it right away
H-turn on bike, insert usb into the cable and the route comes up, choose it and save it
G- BE SURE TO UNCHECK "FASTEST ROUTE" IN THE HONDA NAV ROUTE OPTIONS SETTING. otherwise the bike
will change the route to the fastest route.

Just get on a computer and play with it. create a route with 4-5 way points
around your neighborhood, making them back track on each other, etc... One thing i like to do is use my house address
for the start but then move the start way point to the exit of my neighborhood. the system will guide you
to the start way point

Dont hesitate to reach out if you have any issues or questions.

·
Registered
359 Posts
In addition.
1. Make sure your waypoints are on the correct side of the road for the direction you are going. I think this only applies to divided or multi lane roads. If you don't it will have you making u-turns.

2. Use the "place waypoints on the street" button occasionally while and the lastly when setting up a route.

Sorry if I missed those in your post.

EDIT: Just saw #1

Kurviger is the only routing program that I'm almost smart enough to use.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In addition.
1. Make sure your waypoints are on the correct side of the road for the direction you are going. I think this only applies to divided or multi lane roads. If you don't it will have you making u-turns.

2. Use the "place waypoints on the street" button occasionally while and the lastly when setting up a route.

Sorry if I missed those in your post.

EDIT: Just saw #1

Kurviger is the only routing program that I'm almost smart enough to use.
no worries. those are important points worth noting. even though i hit the "place way points on the street" button, i still go through each one and do it manually. thats the big hang up with the honda nav. it considers a way point a destination and itll ex wife you until you get to it or delete it. its worth taking the extra time

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I downloaded a route from Kurviger and when it loaded it did re-route me using a "shorter" route. Honda forces you to either choose fastest or shortest in the bikes settings. Why cant the Honda system just load the route as you prepare it and not feel the need to change it, why is that so hard.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I downloaded a route from Kurviger and when it loaded it did re-route me using a "shorter" route. Honda forces you to either choose fastest or shortest in the bikes settings. Why cant the Honda system just load the route as you prepare it and not feel the need to change it, why is that so hard.

Adding more waypoints will cure this. Just don't add too many as it will drive you nuts.

·
Registered
500 Posts
This tutorial should be a "sticky". I've been playing around with Kurviger and find it to be a really good program. Maybe not perfect, but better than most of the others I've tried. And, it's free to use the web-based version. I have not tried the phone app versions so I don't know about them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
This tutorial should be a "sticky". I've been playing around with Kurviger and find it to be a really good program. Maybe not perfect, but better than most of the others I've tried. And, it's free to use the web-based version. I have not tried the phone app versions so I don't know about them.
Yes, Same here so far it seems to be the easiest I've seen to use, hope it works well. I also have only used the PC version.
PBR

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ive been asked by a few people for an explanation of how i get a route planned in Kurviger to work with the Honda Nav.

Here is my workflow.

Thank you very much for posting this! :clap2:

The Honda Trip Planner no longer exists, so your timing for the post is perfect. I've played with Kurviger and found it much easier to use than the Honda Trip Planner. I've found the stock GPS to work fine for routes developed with Honda Trip Planner. I expect the same with Kurviger. :biker:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thank you very much for posting this! :clap2:

The Honda Trip Planner no longer exists, so your timing for the post is perfect. I've played with Kurviger and found it much easier to use than the Honda Trip Planner. I've found the stock GPS to work fine for routes developed with Honda Trip Planner. I expect the same with Kurviger. :biker:
The Honda Trip Planner is back up and running. I hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Kurviger works quite well. In my area all the route planners pick some dirt roads, even when set to avoid them.

I work mainly with MyRoute-App now. I'll use Kurviger to get started sometimes.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Is the Honda Teip Planner better than Kurvier?

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
And...can you run Waze on the back while using the GPS?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Kurviger

I have always used Garmin's planner (a total pain in the butt) so I was interested in this thread and played around with Kurviger, and I have to say it seems a lot more user friendly.
Thanks Drgsin

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And...can you run Waze on the back while using the GPS?
yes. in a way. it wont show up in the split screen on the bike. i pull it up on my phone and let it run there. if i pull up, lets say google or xm satellite, itll run in the background and interrupt the headset with warnings

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I have always used Garmin's planner (a total pain in the butt) so I was interested in this thread and played around with Kurviger, and I have to say it seems a lot more user friendly.
Thanks Drgsin
at one point i thought i might have to go to a garmin, so i youtubed a bunch of garmin tutorials. when i saw each tutorial had multiple parts to it, i thought there had to be an easier way. Kurviger is much simpler.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts