GL1800Riders Forums banner

My Rant

7K views 71 replies 50 participants last post by  2Wheeler 
#1 ·
I don't know, maybe it's because I'm getting older, hit the big 6-oh recently, and as an official senior, according to my bank, I feel I can rant and rave and everyone will just say that I'm old and should be given some precious leeway, so here goes.

You guys and gals all ride motorcycles. That's right, motorcycles. That means we are out in the rain by choice, getting hit with bugs by choice and damn it, here it comes, letting wind hit us or as they say now "buffeting" occurs. I read all these threads about cutting back on the buffeting, should I start off in second gear, how can I improve my mileage, I got caught in the rain, blah, blah, blah, whine, whine, whine. I long for those halcyon days of my youth when I could ride like the wind, I mean ride into the wind and love the feel of it. I remember riding in and out of cold patches of air and never once worrying about whether I brought my electric jacket with me or not. I prided myself on closing my eyelid a precious split second before a June bug hit me, now guys worry about how to clean bugs off their windshield. We used to use "snap". Took the bugs and skin right off your face. I loved getting my hair all messed up. Ya know what? I still love the wind in my face (no more hair to mess up though), I don't give a damn about my mileage in fact I have no idea what it is. I didn't buy a $30,000.00 motorcycle to save money on gas. I'm going to ride it hard, run the crap out of all five gears, count 'em, five, burn some excess fuel and enjoy it, wind, bugs, poor gas mileage, rain and all.

C'mon guys. You're riding a motorcycle and one of the best, if the not THE best in the world. Stop your whining about buffeting, too much wind, lousy gas mileage, riding on wet days, etc., etc. I have been riding since I was 15 so ....., let me get my calculator,....I've been riding for 45 years and I will ride until the day I die. If that happens to be on a motorcycle then I will die doing something I love. How many people can say that? Wait, that makes no sense. They would be dead.:shrug: I'm going to play the age card with that last statement. Have I done that yet? Really?

I still feel like a teenager when I go for a ride, with a bike underneath me and that gas tank, fake and all, between my knees, despite the fact my left one is artificial and my right one is arthritic. May the road be endless, the wind never cease, the rain continue to fall, the bugs smack me on the face, with a twist of my wrist, me and my Wing will ride off into ..................

I'm going to rest now. That took a lot out of me.

See less See more
#2 ·
right on, ride until you die. I ride to Geotgetown, Texas every day for my radiation therapy 88 miles round trip and love it, even the ride home near 100 deg. is great, I'm only 66 and now have a reason to leave the house every day.:thumbup:

#3 ·
After having been back on a old school bike (see sig).I can't tell you how true every word is that you said.

In fact I admitted to myself that "I got soft" in my older years.Honda and the like turned us all into the whimps we are that whine about these things these days because of them dammed fairings and tulsa talls.lol

My bike has been gone for 4 months now,and last week I got to ride the bike below,and I can't tell you how nice the wind felt if my face.How the bugs felt as they hit my chest or bounced off my glasses or hit me in the face.I was actually laughing at myself at how soft I had become..

Well screw that.I'll be riding my 900 every chance I get now that it's running again.I like the good old days.

As Red says "It's a Motorcycle-Expect Wind"

Thanks for a very good post.:thumbup:

Now let the whiners chime in how they deserve the right to not get blown around by the wind at their age..sakes.:22yikes:

#7 ·
#8 ·
I don't know, maybe it's because I'm getting older, hit the big 6-oh recently, and as an official senior, according to my bank, I feel I can rant and rave and everyone will just say that I'm old and should be given some precious leeway, so here goes.

You guys and gals all ride motorcycles. That's right, motorcycles. That means we are out in the rain by choice, getting hit with bugs by choice and damn it, here it comes, letting wind hit us or as they say now "buffeting" occurs. I read all these threads about cutting back on the buffeting, should I start off in second gear, how can I improve my mileage, I got caught in the rain, blah, blah, blah, whine, whine, whine. I long for those halcyon days of my youth when I could ride like the wind, I mean ride into the wind and love the feel of it. I remember riding in and out of cold patches of air and never once worrying about whether I brought my electric jacket with me or not. I prided myself on closing my eyelid a precious split second before a June bug hit me, now guys worry about how to clean bugs off their windshield. We used to use "snap". Took the bugs and skin right off your face. I loved getting my hair all messed up. Ya know what? I still love the wind in my face (no more hair to mess up though), I don't give a damn about my mileage in fact I have no idea what it is. I didn't buy a $30,000.00 motorcycle to save money on gas. I'm going to ride it hard, run the crap out of all five gears, count 'em, five, burn some excess fuel and enjoy it, wind, bugs, poor gas mileage, rain and all.

C'mon guys. You're riding a motorcycle and one of the best, if the not THE best in the world. Stop your whining about buffeting, too much wind, lousy gas mileage, riding on wet days, etc., etc. I have been riding since I was 15 so ....., let me get my calculator,....I've been riding for 45 years and I will ride until the day I die. If that happens to be on a motorcycle then I will die doing something I love. How many people can say that? Wait, that makes no sense. They would be dead.:shrug: I'm going to play the age card with that last statement. Have I done that yet? Really?

I still feel like a teenager when I go for a ride, with a bike underneath me and that gas tank, fake and all, between my knees, despite the fact my left one is artificial and my right one is arthritic. May the road be endless, the wind never cease, the rain continue to fall, the bugs smack me on the face, with a twist of my wrist, me and my Wing will ride off into ..................

Wow who pissed in your meta-mucil?
If I want to ask a question about wind why do you give a rats arss? If I worry about gas mileage why should it bother you? The wind bothers my wife and I want her to ride with me so I make her as comfortable as possible. Bad gas mileage can be a sign of something wrong with your bike. But I guess we can't all be as rich as you and Bill Gates. :shrug::bow:

#9 ·
I agree with all that and I'll go even further. I don't need heated seat, heated grips, drink holder, etc. I don't need a bluetooth connection. I shift gears when they need to be shifted and don't care what the gear number is. I don't put on a costume to ride. I don't fret bug guts on my paint. I don't fret scratches on my paint. I'm proud of the scuff marks on my pipe covers and highway pegs. I wash it maybe once a year. I don't worry about resale value. I'm going to ride this one until I'm dead.

I think it's silly to ride a Goldwing in a manner that will get you 50 mpg. I don't care what my mileage is. I ride the hell out of it.

I just changed oil, filter, air filter, coolant and drive grease. In the process I checked the whole bike for any problems. While under it I noticed how filthy it is under there. I got to thinking...'I'll bet some of the folks on the 'wing board actually get under their bikes and scrub this stuff off.' I'll let somebody else do that after I'm dead.

#10 ·
Sounds good to me. And yep the GL1800 is the machine for sure.

Now if only something could be done about work. ;)

You all retired farts enjoy, gonna take me a few more years yet.

#11 ·
One of the best comments I have read on this site!!

:agree::agree::agree::agree:!!!!!:bow::bow::bow::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

#12 ·
As A 65 year old I pretty much agree with your post. However, I'm not giving up my windshield. heated seats. Nav system, or heated gear. I do feel alive when riding my goldwing for sure. What a blessing to be able to afford the finest touring motorcycle in all the world and to be able to take a cross country trip every year with my loving companion. I do love it so and the wind and rain and cold weather at times are just part of what makes it so wonderful.

Amen brother.

Fred

#13 ·
The first aircraft I flew was a open cockpit biplane. Cold, windy, smoky and smelled of the oil that you mix with DDT. It could do 80 knots on a very good day an maybe get up to 7k ft.

The last plane I flew was my with my nephew. Twin jets, 25k ft, over 350 knots. A/C, smooth, ap, qdfr.

My last plane trip was in a jet liner at 30k ft, no brains needed.

When I want to see things I walk.

When I want to get there faster, bicycle.

In a hurry, car or motorcycle.

Big hurry, I fly...

It's all about choices and how we want to experience the trip.

#14 ·

Nicely put. It is a motorcycle-expect wind.

#18 ·
RIXX
That was both funny yet true. And I remember the 'old days', alas you have road a few years longer than me, :bow:I only have 40. But in those days we rode without a GPS, or saddle bags. Come to think of it there was no windshield. Tires lasted 20k. Bike was lite and you would run down a gravel road slinging shell.
But the biggest difference from today is, sitting on the internet reading the comversations of a bunch of Wingers and thinkin' it aint a motorcycle its a Gold Wing!

#21 ·
I am 72 plus 7 months and I try to ride everyday. Had butt surgery a couple of weeks ago so was side-lined for about two weeks, but have ridden twice this week and trying to get fit for a 250 mile ride on July 16.

Heat gets to me a lot more than when I was younger so I wear a kewl vest under a mesh jacket. I stay very comfortable even in the 100 plus Texas temps.

#22 ·
RRIXX,

Great post!!

Get rid of the GW and get a VTX1800!!! Minimal protection (if you have a windshield) or no protection - your choice! Lousy gas mileage since it is soooo much fun to twist that throttle! Rear tire? What rear tire? If you ain't ridin' hard enough to wear it out in less than 9K miles, you should be on a H-D!! (I started to say Wing, but - - - - :lol: )

So, sack the Wing and get an X!

(BTW, if you decide to lose the Wing, and really decide to let it go at a steal of a price, let me know first!!! :joke:)

Regards,
Joe T.

#23 ·
A lot of you guys who make fun of the folks complaining about buffeting are confusing two things:
1. Wind = Stand in front of a running fan. That's wind.
2. Buffeting = Put on your helmet and then clamp the helmet into a paint shaker. Turn on the shaker. That's buffeting. If you don't have a paint shaker handy just have a passenger ride with you and ask them to grab your helmet and shake it constantly anytime you're at highway speed.

It's a motorcycle and I DO expect wind. But buffeting (aka turbulence) gives me a headache and I try to eliminate it as much as possible. For me, buffeting takes a lot of the fun out of riding. At its worst buffeting can blur my vision.

If it bothers some of you that others are looking for assistance in getting rid of buffeting just skip those threads.

Why didn't I just skip this thread? I wanted to point out that we're not all talking about the same thing.

And not only that but I'd like to see the Wing come with a digital gear indicator too! So there! LOL

Ralph Wenzl

#24 ·
I can relate

Just the other day something came up about using our Polaris RZR and I started to explain why I didn't think it was a good idea; too hot and a small chance of thunderstorms. Halfway through I caught myself and said to my wife, "Damn, hit 65 and became a wimp. Let's roll!"

It is easy at our age, when doing activities is not as easy and pain free as just a few years ago, to choose NOT to. It can become a habit if allowed and I don't plan on dying on the couch! Let's roll!

However, there are some things that make the Wing experience better. Nothing wrong with trying to improve on it so we and our co-riders can both enjoy the ride. I remember when I purchased a Honda 750 four in 1971 in Houston. Rode to Austin to show my brother and returned the same day; about 320 miles. The next morning I literally could not move my arms and my chest felt like I had surgery from hanging on to a non-faired bike while fighting a 20 mph headwind. Windjammer fairing was ordered the same day; problem solved.

Bottom line is I proved years ago that I was tough. Now I want to be smart.:doorag:

#25 ·
It seems to me that a Goldwing isn't a very good match for the kind of riding you enjoy. You could have a motorcycle that does what you apparently want it to do for half the price. You certainly don't strike me is being the kind of person who selects his possessions based on how much they impress others. :shrug:

#26 ·
Hey guys let's get real here. I've been riding for 42 years and my first scoot was a Honda 305 scrambler. I took a 450 Honda on a Western tour to Glacier in 1974. I'm not going back to that kind of riding.

Like my Dad told me a long time ago(he grew up in the South during the 30's without Electric or indoor plumbing) THE GOOD OLD DAYS WERE NOT VERY GOOD. Now I like the attraction of living like "Jeremiah Johnson" but not the reality.

I'm sticking with my Goldwing and comfort package with heated gear.
That's my reality and I like it.:coffee1:

Fred

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.