GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HA! Made you look!

I said I would post a picture of Add-on's new product GL1800 trunk handle with LEDS.

My review is as follows...

Piece is chrome plated plastic... Kit comes with a cutout template for drilling holes. 4 holes are required, 3 mounting and 1 to run wires. After marking the holes with the template with an awl, I drilled the holes. That's when I found that the holes do NOT line up with the product and I had to elongate the holes to make it fit. Finally after getting it installed, I had to run the wiring. This required removing the top inner lid to conceal the wires properly. I ran the wiring down and connected to the rest of my LEDS run earlier.

Time to install was about an hour. As a HANDLE, I feel it is not too well built, being plastic. Also, if you were to put you fingers under the handle, you will be directly placing your fingers on the LED strip mounted underneath. This product is IMHO great for looks, but not much for functionality as a handle.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Nice looking "cheeks"! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Hubba Hubba... The aliens have landed..

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will make sure the template lines up with the holes on the handle befor I start to drill.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
At least you have the comfort knowing that if someone runs into you from behind they should at the least get a ticket for blindness while driving.

Looks nice!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Shake it baby!!!!!

:22yikes:

oh, not that kind of rear end . . .

:oops:

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Gack!!!

I can't believe it!

I just found out who bumper1 is.

He IS a bumper all right.

Ask him to tell his story of his September vacation.

Bumper indeed!!

:lol:

·
Registered
679 Posts
jwen..
Had the same Ted Harper LEDs on my late '03..the guy who rear-ended me last December and totalled the bike told me "I saw you but I couldn't stop". Hm. So much for my "being seen and not hit" theory. Didn't drop the bike, and $18,000 damage.

Ride long and safe..and looking for an automatic CIWS-type set of rear-facing phaser mounts for my '06.

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'-6 GL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
373 Posts
I don't care for the handle (thanks very much for the review) - it seems far more for looks than functionality.
What brand LEDs are those that are on the saddlebags and trunk surround? I (for one) think they look pretty cool.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Oh, it is a bedtime story, cuz someone got screwed!!!!

hehe

:twisted:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Notsluggo..
Those trim LEDs are by ted Harper at the following:

http://www.winglites.com/index.htm

Had them on my late '03..looked great, got lots of compliments. Ted does very nice work and will do them in any color/functionality/pattern you wish. About the same price as the Kury crap.

Ride long and safe..and will have them on my '06 as soon as some medical issues are corrected. Or not.

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I think bumper is the one that got bumped!!!

lol

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, OK... I will tell!

I have been riding now for 35 years, 4 years now on a Goldwing. Went on vacation to the Smokies in September with 7 other wings. Mind you I am riding my new 06 Dark red wing with my wife and pulling a fully loaded trailer. We had just left a gas station and we were in Kentucky on the 2nd day of the trip. Riding in standard formation, I was #3, but right behind the leader. It was sunny and we were coming up to an intersection that had the stop lights suspended via wires instead of on poles. The sun was at 11 o'clock behind us and therefore it was hard to see the stop lights. The leader saw the lights change to red and came to ubrupt stop. #2 (my brother) decided to go thru the light as he felt it wasn't safe enough to stop in time. By the time I realized what was happening, all I could do was yell OH SH#T!. I tried to vear right to avoid hitting the leader, but couldn't. My left front smacked in to the right rear of the trailer he was pulling. Both my wife and me were ejected and my bike kept going in a large semi-circle coming to a stop in the middle of the intersection. My wife sustained severe puncture to her knee and we both suffered from road rash and bruising. The leader had also sustained a badly left leg as his bike ended up laying on him. There was very little damage to the leaders bike but the trailer was TOTALLED! The trailer did NOT belong to him but someone different. My bike, while it had very much plastic removed, was still drivable!

After the emergency room visit, I assumed that the vacation was over due to my wife's injuries, but what a trooper! She INSISTED we go on and she got back on and we went to the Smokies. The lead biker was unable to continue due to his injuries. :(

Had a wonderful vacation and enjoyed the BRP and Wings over the Smokies rally.

Upon return, we were only 1 1/2 hours from home when I had accident #2! Yes, you heard me right.

I was leading the pack and it had rained so the pavement was still wet when this happened. Had gotten in to a long soft sweeping turn to the right following a big rig. Upon getting out of the turn, the coast was clear for us all to pass. So we proceeded to do so and what I failed to realize was that the semi was NOT loaded and he could accelerate fast and was doing so. He was bearing down on the group and we started in to the next turn which was a long sweeping curve to the left. I got in to a tar snake that was wet and my whole front end started to shake violently. I was able to recover from that but by that time I was already on the right side of the road and could not stop the bike from getting on to the shoulder which was of course gravel. As much as I tried to keep control, the front wheel cought something and once again both my wife and me were ejected. I could NOT believe that this was happening to me AGAIN!

My bike flipped twice on it's side and the trailer ended up up-side down. Off to the emergency room again goes my wife. I ended up with a severely bruised hip and she enjoyed more road rash.

Coupled with the previous accident, the bike was totalled! Insurance was FANTASTIC as they replaced not only the bike but EVERY SINGLE accessory I had on it too!

I bought the new 07 Wing within 3 weeks, spent 2 1/2 weeks putting on all accessories and lights.

BTW... for those of you that do NOT believe in helmets, both my wife's and my helmets saved us as we both had banged them up pretty good. Neither of us had ANY head injuries.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Oh man, and I was just coming on here to say that I was just kidding, that nothing happened, and it was all a big joke . . . but I see that I am too late!!

But I will say that you DO have good insurance!!!

so, quick bumper, delete your confession!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts