GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off,let me say that I am not a parts guy.This review is strictly about how the 2012 feels as compared to my 2008 fully Traxxionized bike.

In the dealers lot,I did a full lock left hand circle with the preload set on 25.It felt more stable than my 08.The turn was done in 1st with throttle only and without any scraping of the pegs..No problem,you topgun guys better look out for these bikes!

The seat felt much better to me.There was no discomfort at the edge of the seat where it meets the side of the tank.This is where my seat bothers me.

The exhaust sounds a little better.You can hear that six cylinder just a little bit better,especially when leaned over.

The best part is how it handels in the curves.Almost identical to my o8.
Set it for the curve and roll with it,no wallowing,no bobbles,it just works.

I like the way the stock 2012 handles much better than my 2008 when it was stock,and almost as well as my 08 now after upgrades.

I like the gps screen on my 08 better.

Tried several times to get this bike to wobble,even went into a downhill lefthander with no hands on the grips and the cruise set on 35.........nothing.Just smooth and steady as she goes.

I really liked the rear tire on the 2012,and much of the handeling improvements may be coming from the rear tire alone.

I liked this bike a lot more than I expected to,it is a great bike right out of the box.This is what you would expect a goldwing to feel like.

Pretty is as pretty does,and in my opinion,this new one is a keeper.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hey Bank-Shot, tell us more about that rear tire. I thought it was a simple G704 Bridgestone?
Must have had a "Darkside" conversion on it.:twisted::twisted::twisted:

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
It is the 704 but that is a much better than the Dunlop that was on the bike before. I had a 702 on the rear of my 08 and it was fantastic.
There are a few posts about how great the 12 handle stock, like the early ones after Traxxion is installed. watch out you guys from Traxxion, your services might not be needed!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems to be a cross between a mc tire and a bmt.Dealer said it was made especially for the wing.

It has a wide print with a nice roll on the edge.

I am running a metzeler right now.I think it is a great tire,but I belive I like the one on the stock 2012 better.

It holds a great line....and is extreamly stable at any speed I tried,fast or slow.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think Max has anything to worry about as long as you can still get a good deal on a used bike and upgrade it with his suspension.

Sticker on the 2012 was over 24,000.

Get a used one for 12,000 and upgrade it for another 3200,and you have a bike as good or better than the new one.

Time will tell if the suspension on the 2012 will hold up,but if I did own a new one,I wouldn't feel the need for an upgrade.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I liked the larger screen they use on the o8.It is much easier to see the rolling map,which is what I use most of the time.

I didn't take the time to really check out the functions of the 2012 GPS.Today is my wifes birthday and she had lots of "Honey Do's"lined up for me,LOL

·
Registered
19,440 Posts
Suspension is the same. Those felt improvements are imaginary

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like I said,I really didn't expect to like the 2012 as much as I did.If I was all excited about the 2012,I could see what you mean by the imaginary changes.

I don't know how they did it with basically the same parts,but they did.The bike sets up higher than my stock 2008 did,and handles great.I really liked the lighter feel of the front end,it made those low speed turns effortless.I went to full lock so fast it really surprised me.

One thing did seem a little strange.........When I change my preload settings on my 2008,I can feel the rear of the bike coming up.

When I changed the settings on the 2012 from 1 to 25,the rear rear didn't come up anywhere near as far as the 08 did.Really didn't feel any change at all.It's like the rear of the 2012 is already about as high as it's going to go at 1 as it is at 25.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Hey Bank
Some folks know more about things they have never tryed than the folks that have tryed them:shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
863 Posts
good write up. i can't agree with all of it because i've not ridden any other wings than my own 2012 and i'm still a newby on it. i see no reason to change suspension or seat. i'm comfortable in reach and seating position so need for bar risers. it won't wheelie in 2nd and go from 40 to 90 in 3 seconds either but it's good for what it is. it is very comfortable at 7 hours of not getting off the bike at all. I sat in the seat and refulled. it's comfortable and stable at 100mph. and in torrential rains, only the tops of my forearms got wet.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
There is a board just for the 2012's.
True, but this doesn't seem to be something technical about the 2012 such as 'will this accessory fit', which I agree should go to the 2012 board. This post strikes me as something current owners of a 2001-2010 might be interested to read. If you see it is about a 2012 and you have no interest, then move along. Just like the motorcycle accident threads that didn't involve a GL1800. If you're not interested, move along.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts