GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left the house this morning around 0600 with temps in the low 60's and fog along the river that runs beside the golf course. I stopped at the end of my street and checked traffic to my left before turning right onto the main road. About a half mile away, across the river and up a hill, I saw the glow of headlights through the fog. With plenty of room, I pulled onto the main road and wound it up for the half mile run to my next turn. Turning off the main road put me on a nice, twisty road that is 6 miles long. Unfortunately, the speed limit is only 35mph. I had not been on this road for more than 15 seconds when my mirrors were filled with headlights. I cracked the throttle to open up the space (for safety reasons) and realized these were no ordinary headlights. They were attached to a Goldwing! Well, it had to be Alabama IronButt, but he would not answer calls on the CB. So I did the only thing anyone else would do, I opened it up!! I figured if it was AI, he would hang close. If not, then the rider would fall back. I dove into descending right hand curves followed by climbing left handers, accelerating hard out of each corner, and running the RPM up on the short straight-aways. A quick glance in the mirror showed AI on me like white on rice. Towards the end of the road, we caught up with a truck and slowed to a normal pace, and AI pulled alongside with a huge grin on his face. Turns out he had a blown fuse on his CB, so we just hollered back and forth like HD riders, but without the noise. He said the shower of sparks from my pegs was impressive in the early morning light. Now he wants to do it again tomorrow! He also said he would have run up a pine tree before he let me pull away from him. We obviously bring out the best (or worse) of each other when we get on our bikes.

FYI, Alabama IronButt and I met through this board and live 2 miles from each other. Hal has a pretty good thing going here.

·
Registered
868 Posts
All I was doing was trying to keep up. The "Light Show" from the sparks off your pegs was rather entertaining. All I wanted to do was ask if you were interested in stopping for a cup of coffee :lol: -- It was you that was running so fast :lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts