GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After using about every oil on the market from $3 per quart to $16 per, I have finally settled my opinion on the T6. I have had it in for 2500 miles now and it shifts better than the others and still feels "New" in the bike. I can usually tell when the oil starts to wear down by the shifting. So far, it is Great! Shifting is nice and crisp and nuetral is exact! It usually runs about $17-$22 per gallon. Already pre-measured is a plus as I just change the filter and dump in the gallon. I will be using this from now on.

Again!...This is Just my opinion, not a start of a debate!

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
No arguement here! Last time that it was on sale ($15 a gallon) I bought 4 gallons of it. Synthetic oil change with filter for less than $20. Not bad these days.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's good stuff I run it in my Ford Powerstroke but just a wee bit more per oil change:eek:4: than a bike.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
T-6 has become a very popular choice for cycles and gets very good reports from used oil analysis even on extended intervals. I have used it in several bikes all with complete satisfaction. In the wing, I notice a change in tranny shifts at around 5,000 miles; actually a bit better than with some other highly touted oils. My last change is nearing 5,000 and was 20-50 Mobil One because NAPA had a really good deal on it. Very noticable DECLINE in shift quality after only 2,000 miles and fuel economy has suffered too. I will use T-6 on this next change for sure.

prs

P

·
0 Posts
After using about every oil on the market from $3 per quart to $16 per, I have finally settled my opinion on the T6. I have had it in for 2500 miles now and it shifts better than the others and still feels "New" in the bike. I can usually tell when the oil starts to wear down by the shifting. So far, it is Great! Shifting is nice and crisp and nuetral is exact! It usually runs about $17-$22 per gallon. Already pre-measured is a plus as I just change the filter and dump in the gallon. I will be using this from now on.

Again!...This is Just my opinion, not a start of a debate!
Your results may vary...I changed out my Rotella T after 1200 miles because my transmission shifted worse with it in.

I'm currently running Mobil 1 4T Racing and like it alot

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
No arguement here! Last time that it was on sale ($15 a gallon) I bought 4 gallons of it. Synthetic oil change with filter for less than $20. Not bad these days.
+1 :agree::agree: with you I do the same and change every 5,000 miles I have 110,000 miles on my bike and love it more every day will keep useing it :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
IronMan
17,623 Posts
Just put in bike tonite for trip to ohio seems to shift nicer hope it keeps up

·
Registered
535 Posts
I tried Rotella T6 and did not like the way the bike shifted. Seamed to get worse with more miles. Changed it out after 5000 miles and went back to Mobil 1 15w-50w. Everything is back to normal with smooth shifting and no clunk. I'll spend the few extra dollars and have peace of mind. :cool:

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I've used it ever since the first oil change. A caution: don't count on the pre-measured volume being correct. I usually "dump in" a bottle after drain and filter change. I've noticed poor shifting on this last change, and checked the oil level to find it up above the crimp on the stick. I pulled out four Mity-Vac containers of oil before I could get it down in the normal range. Since then, it has been shifting smoothly agaain! I suspect that I was rapidly foaming the oil due to the over-fill. From now on I'll closely check the dipstick level after a fill.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I chanced to T6 a couple of weeks ago and my shifter seemed to have suffered for it. I road the bike about 10 miles and hated the way it was shifting, too much clunk and hard shifting so I went right to the Honda dealer and bought a gallon of their 10-W-40 and changed it back. Maybe it was just my bike that didn't like the Rotella, I just don't know. I road last evening on the new oil and it is better but it still isn't back to where it was before that change two weeks ago.
My wife and I are heading out on vacation tomorrow and I hope the shifting smooths out soon, I hate it when something mechanical doesn't seem right, I find myself alway thinking about it and worring.

Bryan

Your results may vary...I changed out my Rotella T after 1200 miles because my transmission shifted worse with it in.

I'm currently running Mobil 1 4T Racing and like it alot

·
Registered
77 Posts
I used to use Rotella oil but when Shell changed the formula last year the shifts where very clunky especially going into first gear. I have switched to Mobile One motorcycle oil and shiftly is back to smooth. I also use Mobile One in the Concours.

Keep trying oil until you find something that works and be ready to try another brand when things change.

Rash

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Thanks Bentknight! How often do you change your oil with it?

·
Registered
452 Posts
'03 40,000 miles

My engine didn't seem to like the T6 either, clunky shifting and the engine just seemed to run noisier/harsher. I'm on my second oil change with Rotella T (15W-40 dino) and the bike seems to like it much better. Although, I've noticed that around 5k miles, it progressively starts to shift clunkier (it also did this with the T6, if not sooner), so I am increasing my service interval from 8k to 4k and sticking with the Rotella T. Plus, I can use the same oil in my Excursion and tractor...which gets one more specialty oil off my shelf :yes1:

Regarding just dumping in the gallon, I always seem to come up short by a pint or two :shrug:

Bentknight, give it some more miles and post your opinion again...I think any oil can make 2500 miles without a problem. I am curious to know how things behave at 5000 or 8000 miles.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I tried it in my Concours and did not like it. Shifts did not seem smooth. I put in the Valvoline 10w-40 Motorcycle oil and it shifts great so far. I believe it is a whole dollar less than the Mobile and Valvoline is JASO-MA2.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I change any of my synthetic Oils whenever the shifting and/or neutral start to become an issue. Usually around 3-5k, depending on the oil. This is my first time with the Rotella and it is now about 2500 miles. We shall see. I usually get it at Wal-Mart. It had a coupon for a dollar or two off stuck to it to use at the register upon checkout.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Been using the T-6 for the last 30,000 miles, great stuff.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts