GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what this is going to turn into but I need the info anyway. I am ready for an after market seat and would like some real world experience from all day riders.

I read from a recent post that the Corbin is high quality with better than average styling but rides like a rock.

I have found that Russel makes the Day-Long seat and Ultimate Seats also makes a good after market seat.

From a rider's perspective what are the characteristics of each brand? What about value? I'm 260# at 5' 10'' so I'm thinking that a firmer seat may be the way to go. I often ride 2-up so I'm also concerned about my passenger's comfort.

What do you guy's think?

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
if you care only about looks, the ultimate with the colormatched panels looks great

if you care about sitting in it for a long time

then i endorse the russell, and it stills looks very nice as well

have it made exactly the way you want, and they will also add the factory wires for heat in it as well

·
Registered
85 Posts
Seats

I like the Diamond or Hartco seats, firm but not hard.

Ed

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
if you care only about looks, the ultimate with the colormatched panels looks great

if you care about sitting in it for a long time

then i endorse the russell, and it stills looks very nice as well

have it made exactly the way you want, and they will also add the factory wires for heat in it as well
You seem to be insinuating that the Ultimate seat isn't comfortable for the long haul. I think there are a lot of people who use that seat that would disagree.

Personally the Russell is too soft for me, I like the firmer feel of the Ultimate. It's right in between the stock seat and a Corbin for hardness which I consider to be optimum (or Ultimate if you don't mind the pun ;) )

Des can also build the seat to your specifications if one of the stock sizes aren't to your liking. There's also a 14 day trial period where you can return it if you don't like it. Try that with Corbin.......

I tried the low seat and although it gave me the foot security I was looking for it's comfort wasn't the greatest. It was still better than stock but my 220 lb butt needs a bit more padding. They swapped it out for the mid seat no questions asked. After I get a few hundred miles on it I think I'm going to stop by and see if he can re contour the nose to help with the width while keeping the height and padding. Of course I may be biased since their new shop is only 5 miles from my house.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
WingRider5722, this may be info that your not looking for but i use a seat cushion for me and my wife. This thing works great, very comfortable and it lets air flow under you so you don't get monkey butt.
http://airventusa.com/styles2004.htm

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
We have the Russell with the leather inserts and we love it. This my second Day Long seat and they have both been good. JMHO. The factory seat was good for about 75 miles and then I dreaded getting back on. This seat allows me to ride until I have to get off because of my knees. (Wished they fixed knees too)

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I know what this is going to turn into but I need the info anyway. I am ready for an after market seat and would like some real world experience from all day riders.

I read from a recent post that the Corbin is high quality with better than average styling but rides like a rock.

I have found that Russel makes the Day-Long seat and Ultimate Seats also makes a good after market seat.

From a rider's perspective what are the characteristics of each brand? What about value? I'm 260# at 5' 10'' so I'm thinking that a firmer seat may be the way to go. I often ride 2-up so I'm also concerned about my passenger's comfort.

What do you guy's think?

Sir.search for Sleddog (and PM him-he's a good guy) or he may chime in when he spots this thread?

He bought his 1800 with the Corbin on it-took it off and sold it!
Then he tried the Wingsoft,and added the beads to it..
He just left LA and rode up to Russell to have them build him a seat.

He then rode back to South Dakota (2,000 miles) and said he liked his new seat better than any of the others he had on his bike..

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I may be Poorer or Cheaper than the average GW rider.
My problem with the stock seat was it made me slide forward and the center of the seat felt like it was on a colon search and destroy mission.
I peeled back my Seat cover and dished out the center of the seat and Alot of the Back portion.
Then I threw a Walmart cushion on it.
I can ride 1000 miles now with Minimal discomfort.
5 to 600 miles in a day is a Breeze. Cost? About 20 bucks.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I too would like to have a new (or used) Russell seat, but the coins just aren't gathering around me for one.:popcorn:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
the best reason for the russell, is the fact you sit on your rear, and not your inner thighs, like the ultimate, the hartco, and the stock seat

the sides are built out, with a huge spring, that allows butt seating

i had a hartco for a long time on my wing, and thought it was real good

then i got the russell and the hartco wasnt all that good when compared

i could personaly care less what you ride on

but since the op, ask for opinions, i gave a truthful one

when i ride, it will be on my cloth russell

·
Registered
825 Posts
the best reason for the russell, is the fact you sit on your rear, and not your inner thighs, like the ultimate, the hartco, and the stock seat

the sides are built out, with a huge spring, that allows butt seating

i had a hartco for a long time on my wing, and thought it was real good

then i got the russell and the hartco wasnt all that good when compared

i could personaly care less what you ride on

but since the op, ask for opinions, i gave a truthful one

when i ride, it will be on my cloth russell
I have not tried anything other that what I have now which is a Hartco. I wanted and like the weight off my arse and on my inner thighs. I have ridden it about 800 miles so far and have been pleased. I rode 200 last weekend and added the walmart pad that I had just for the heck of it and I felt like I could have gone on forever. So...bottom line, it's an individual thing! You might like the russell until you ride a hartco and vice versa. Good Luck, hope you don't spend too many bucks finding comfort.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Looks like the only way to find out what you might like is to Have a really thick wallet and buy them all and try them.
And then you have to go out and put a couple of Long days on them each to find out for sure.
Because what I have seen here if you don't pick the one some of the people on here use, You will be considered a Moron.
I guess it comes down to , different seats for different Butts.

This is a pretty tough one to ask advice on. Unless you tried them all you can't really say. You spend a Grand on a Seat, you might be inclined to think you picked the right one. Especially if you can't afford to try them all. Then the guy that has tried them all as a Bigger or Smaller butt than yours and it won't matter anyhow. :shrug:
Looks like another Oil or tire thread. :popcorn:

·
Registered
393 Posts
I am on my second Russell Day Long only because I sold the 1500, If I could have used the seat on the 1800 I would have kept it.
RDL is by far the Best I have ever ridden on

·
Registered
235 Posts
Seats

My wife and I love our heated leather Corbin saddle. Had one on the 1500 and it was the first thing we replaced on the 1800. Wouldn't leave home without it.

jb

1 - 20 of 32 Posts