GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for a shop that changes tires for a reasonable fee? Not a CT (darkside). I'm in Joliet, and my usual shop has gone out of business. I recall someone mentioning a Blue Island shop, but that was ages ago. I know this isn't a tech forum, but it's not a tech question, either... more regional than anything.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Freeport (IL) Honda/Kawasaki, 1 hr, 45 min west of you is a reasonable, fair, honest dealer just 35 minutes west of Rockford. Bring in your wheel/tire and they will change it out for $30 per wheel. Ride your bike in and they will change it out for $75 for both axles or $50 per wheel.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The shop in Blue Island is Expert Cycle.
Address: 12424 S Western Ave, Blue Island, IL 60406
Phone: 708 385-6655
There is also a shop around 58th and Harlem, Cycle Tech that can do tire changes as well. It is just south of the I-55 and Harlem exit.
http://www.cycletechchicago.net/

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Bob-Jo cycle in Sycamore is a good shop to go to.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Or you could buy a bit of gear to change your own, its really not that hard with these tubeless tyres. After a set or two you have paid for the gear and on a winner from there on. A static balancer is also recommended if going this route. There are many u-tube items on this.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had mine done at PJs cycle in Morris. They even mounted the CT with no problems or questions. I just dropped off the wheels and tires, but they can also do the RnR also, if needed. It's well off the beaten path, but worth finding. I have also used Surface in Coal City. That one is easy to find.
I assume you want to avoid paying dealership prices, but there is Willy World in Joliet, scratch that, I just saw that it closed. There is an HD dealer in Joliet and Ottawa, and a Honda dealer in Ottawa.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had mine done at PJs cycle in Morris. They even mounted the CT with no problems or questions..

I was out that way riding with a friend, when the friend's GL developed problems with his front valve stem. We were pretty much screwed. We limped around looking for help, and someone pointed us to PJ's. Even on a Sunday, the guy dropped what he was doing to R&R the front wheel to replace the valve stem. So this small businessman is certainly deserving of support!

I've been past there many times, after riding Cemetery Road.

I didn't know he did CT's, though.

Again, thanks for the suggestions everyone.

·
Registered
226 Posts
As with any place, all you can do is ask. The worst that will happen is being told no.
I forgot that another place I have used a couple of times was Wal Mart. I also asked Discount tire and they said they would mount a CT. The trick is to say it's for a home made trailer and you are using M/C rims because you had extras laying around the garage. I ended up at PJs instead.
For other suggestions, I went to a shop that sells custom wheels and was told they would mount the tires, but later said no due to liabilty reasons. They gave me the name of another custom shop that would do it though. The best part about a custom shop is that they have the equipment needed to not scratch fancy rims, so you know you won't end up with damage. Another idea is to call a small mom and pop shop. They might be willing to change your tires just to make a few dollars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts