GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I've tried just about every high end seat maker's product with limited good results. Somewhat on a lark I ordered from www.amspecialtiesusa.com their 'Ortho Deluxe Sheepskin Gel pad for $124.95 plus shipping. Yesterday I rode with it for the first time; 555.4 miles. Everyone's mileage will vary on things like fuel mileage, tire mileage, seat comfort, etc. but this is one product that has served me extremely well in it's first outing. If you're on the fence as to spending the money on a custom seat, first consider this gel seat pad. Outstanding comfort for a reasonable amount of money! :D

W

·
0 Posts
Thanks Bruce,

This past riding season I couldn't make up my mind on a good cushion.
Started out with the Aqua cushion, got a leak, they sent me a new bladder.
Presently I'm using the aqua-cushion with a padded cushion from Wal-mart, and together seem to do the job.
I am saving your info on your cushion incase I decide to make a change.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
That is definitely one I will be looking at for the Vulcan. I am in need of something. I have never been on any motorcycle seat that seemed to fit my butt...LOL

I did get an Air Rider gel pad at Honda Homecoming this last summer and it has been the best thing for me on the Goldwing.

I tried a different seat mod and it would not work for me.

I have yet to spend big bucks for a custom seat. Too many different stories about each and everyone being sold. (not just on this board but many boards that I have looked at.)

Thanks for the info. It is appreciated.

Ross

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
BruceHarrisJr said:
Over the years I've tried just about every high end seat maker's product with limited good results. Somewhat on a lark I ordered from www.amspecialtiesusa.com their 'Ortho Deluxe Sheepskin Gel pad for $124.95 plus shipping. Yesterday I rode with it for the first time; 555.4 miles. Everyone's mileage will vary on things like fuel mileage, tire mileage, seat comfort, etc. but this is one product that has served me extremely well in it's first outing. If you're on the fence as to spending the money on a custom seat, first consider this gel seat pad. Outstanding comfort for a reasonable amount of money! :D
Well, I've tried everything too, except what Bruce has suggested here, so I just ordered one to give it a shot. Thanks for pointing it out. I know when it is warmer/hot I have more problems so the sheep skin should help that and the extra cushion should help too - all this on top of the wingsoft I already have.

Thanks again

·
Registered
260 Posts
I can not tell by looking at this offer if the riders pad is included with the $124.95 deal or if you have to add the passengers pad?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Happy Guy said:
I can not tell by looking at this offer if the riders pad is included with the $124.95 deal or if you have to add the passengers pad?
For $124.95 plus shipping you get a rider's only pad, no passenger pad.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Be careful of those gel pads!!! I know of a couple people that got there rear end burned by sitting on one of them during the hot summer. That sun can heat them up really hot and then they will hold that heat in for a long time. It happened when they were off the bikes for some time and then with that sun heating up the gel. Well, you get the picture of what happened when they sat down.

·
Registered
999 Posts
gel seat pad

THREE CHEERS FOR THAT. I FELL OFF MY SON-IN-LAWS ROOF BACK IN JUNE AND FRACTURED L4 AND DEFORMED 2 DISCS. AFTER THE DOCTOR ( A NON RIDER, OF COURSE) SUGGESTED THAT I FIND SOME OTHER FORM OF ENTERTAINMENT, I SOLD MY 1500 WITH CORBIN SEAT.
BUT THE BLUES SET IN, AND AFTER A COUPLE OF WEEKS, I
WAS LOOKING FOR A REPLACEMENT. I BOUGHT A YELLOW 1800. BUT I FOUND OUT THAT MY TAILBONE JUST COULDN'T TAKE IT. ABOUT AN HOUR AND IT FELT LIKE THE BONE WAS STICKING OUT OF MY SKIN. I WAS SERIUOSLY THINKING THAT TOURING ON A MOTORCYCLE WAS OVER FOR ME.
MY WIFE WASN'T READY TO GIVE IT UP SO, SHE ORDERED THE JUMBO SIZE. I BELIEVE IT WAS $124. MAN IT IS A LIFE SAVER. I RIDE TANK TO TANK NOW. DON'T GET ME WRONG, I STILL FIDGET AROUND AND SET ALL OVER THE SEAT, BUT I RIDE.
2 THINGS. #1. MAKES YOU ABOUT AN INCH AND A HALF TALLER AND I GOT A LITTLE HELMET BUFFET IN THE WIND AT HIGHWAY SPEED. CURED THAT WITH A TALL WINDSCREEN.
#2 THE PAD MAKES THE SEAT A LITTLE WIDER WHEN YOU PUT YOUR FEET DOWN. MY 32" INSEAM JUST DOES LET ME GET MY HEELS DOWN. I CURED THAT BY TAKING THE PAD OUT OF THE COVER AND DID A LITTLE CARVING WITH A RAZOR BLADE IN THE CROTCH AREA.
THIS MAY NOT BE YOUR ANSWER, BUT IT KEPT THAT YELLOW 1800 OFF THE MARKET.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BlueWing said:
Be careful of those gel pads!!! I know of a couple people that got there rear end burned by sitting on one of them during the hot summer. That sun can heat them up really hot and then they will hold that heat in for a long time. It happened when they were off the bikes for some time and then with that sun heating up the gel. Well, you get the picture of what happened when they sat down.
Reading comprehension might help out here Blue Wing. The subject gel pad is covered in sheepskin and the 'gel' is not exposed to the sun or other elements. I can understand the possibility of extreme heat being contained by a gel container in direct sun light. I'll submit a report later this year when the weather warms up.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I tried gel pad, Air Rider, and sheepskin on my SE-i with not enough improvement. Fixed the problem by going to the GL1800, which stock sets so much better than anything else I've tried. If this one gets to me after longer rides (so far 230 miles has been my longest day on it), I'll try the gel first, then add the skin. I found a gel pad for english riding saddles on eBay for a little over $30 delivered. Worked better than the others on the SE-i. The pad is small enought to pull off and place in a saddlebag if parked in the sun. I tend to put something over the seat when parked in the sun for long anyway, to reduce UV damage to the rare Nauga hides.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks for the demo Bruce. Just ordered one from AMS. BTW, J&P carries them also for $5 cheaper, but they make it up in more expensive shipping charges, so six one, half-dozen the other.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I, too, have found that the gel pads work for me. I purchased one back in October from airRider and it is better for me. I have a sheepskin cover(fitted) on the 1800 and my wife likes that fine. I just throw the pad over the skin and ride on. I have arthritis in my left hip and it can be painful at times but this definately helps.

Thanks for posting Bruce! I too hate to put out the BIG $$$$ for a custom seat as well.

Ride On!

W

·
0 Posts
BruceHarrisJr said:
Thanks loads Bruce, just put in my order.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts