GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you in the 'search mode' like me for a GPS - here is the Excel spreadsheet I have so far.

Don't pay too much attention to the prices I have listed. They are not totally accurate and I am sure they will proably go down after the holidays. I haven't put much effort into finding the cheapest yet. My darn job keeps getting in the way.

My goal with this is to choose a model to buy. I am sure I have some info wrong and would be more than happy to edit any errors you find.

Just thought it might help anyone that is anal like me.

Here is the link:

www.rickandjanis.com/gps.htm

Rick

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Very nicely done!

Another useful column would be the audio integration costs and since there's so many options on the newer Garmin models, it'll depend on what features you want.

I also think a more useful column value instead of screen dimensions would be screen area (in sq. inches) in both map-only and map w/data displayed.

Shoot, to make it even more useful, you could assign a 'value' to each of the categories and then let the spreadsheet sort the choices based on their ranking. (For example, you might assign a high value to the 'integrated XM' capability while someone else might value screensize)

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I'd double check the MEM vs HDD column, I think you have a few as solid state that actually have hard discs.. 2620 for one and I'm sure there's others..

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Rick,

Besides features, might I suggest you actually look at the screen quality and compare them side by side. I was stuck between a 478 and a 2820. I went to Cycle Gadgets and compared the view of the screens side by side. I much preferred the screen on the 478 and went with that one.

Just my .02...

BAT

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't mind at all. :D
I appreciate all the suggestions and ideas.

In the meantime - I have my trusty solar powered MAP.

Rick

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Most of your GPS's will have the altitude function. Here is a list of the optiuon that you can select from to display on the 376, 378, or 478 that I know of.

ACCURACY
BATTERY TIMER
BEARING
COURSE
COURSE TO STEER
CROSS TRACK
DEPTH{IN MARINE MODE}
DISTANCE
DISTANCE NEXT
ETA-DESTINATION
ETA-NEXT
ETE-DESTINATION
ETE-NEXT
ELEVATION
GPS STATUS
LOCATION-LAT/LON
LOCATION-SELECTED
MAX SPPED
MOVING AVG SPEED
MOVE TIMER
NEXT COURSE
NEXT WAYPOINT
NEXT TURN
NEXT COURSE
NEXT TURN
NEXT WAYPOINT
ODOMETER
POINTER
POWER
SPEED
STEER
SUNRISE
SUNSET
TIME
TRACK
TRIP AVG SPEED-MOVING
TRIP AVG SPEED-TOTAL
TRIP ODOMETER
TRIP TIMER-MOVING
TRIP TIMER-TOTAL
TOTAL AVG SPEED
TURN
USER TIMER
VELOCITY MADE GOOD
VERTICAL SPEED
VOLTAGE
WATER SPEED
WATER TEMP
WAYPOINT-DESTINATION
WAYPOINT NEXT
WEATHER-DEWPOINT
WEATHER-PRESSURE
WEATHER-RELATIVE HUMIDITY
WEATHER-TEMPERTURE
WEATHER-WIND
WEATHER-WIND CHILL
XM AUDIO
XM SIGNAL

These are the options you have to display on your screen with your map or without your map. If anybody has any question son the data fields, just ask.
I would pit weather as an option. It may not be important to you, but while you are making this on display for other people, other people might like or want it.

Thanks Rick, Good Job!

·
Registered
366 Posts
RickM

Good job...!

Corrections
The SP-2610 includes City Navigator North Ameriica (which version depends on when it was manufactured.)

The SP-2660 has a Hard Drive.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jon took my spreadsheet and added some great things to it.. like useable screen area and mounting options and pricing options.

You can now also search by importance of features to help you narrow your search.

Thanks Jon!

Take a look at his handywork:

www.rickandjanis.com/gps.htm

Rick

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
It's interesting - the iWay is still the cheapest (non-discontinued) option, no matter what type of installation and integration method is chosen.

(Maybe I should've added costs for return shipping charges to account for the projected failures? 8) )

The 378/478 units top the bar at $1,300+ installed & integrated (without the XM weather activation or subscription)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Better raise the price of a Garmin 2820. Amazon strikes again. I bought the thing on 12/23 from Amazon for 552.00 free shipping( Thats A Joke)

The website said IN STOCK. Today I get a famous we need to extend your shipping date to 1/28 - 1/31 should arrive at your location by 2-14.

You would think that even if I agreed to this because they took an order oversold their inventory they would at least upgrade the shipping to UPS overnight or 2-3 day vs 2-3 weeks USPS.

Nooooooo, try to call them, yea right. Great customer awareness people.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Yeah, that price didn't last too long - now all you have to do is actually get it...

Rick will have to update the prices on his spreadsheet to reflect the current street prices.

There's still time to cancel your order and get one of these for $475! (In stock with free shipping :D )

·
Registered
705 Posts
Jon

I luv you like a brotha, LOL

But, I reallllly think I will wait for the 2820. The best part is the combo cat mount arrived 3 days ago. Story of my life I now have the car, NO ENGINE, LOL

1 - 20 of 35 Posts