GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I decided to do a route to attend the MotoGP race at the Circuit of the Americas this past weekend. I planned the route with the Honda Trip Planner website, created a ".gpx" file, and loaded that to the bike's navigation system. The route had only eight major "points" as I had started this prior to the January software update. I did update the bike's code to that release, but didn't really change the route. Basically, I planned a Saddle Sore 1000 mostly using the starting, ending, and change of direction points as waypoints. The route calculated out to 1034 miles. Yes, we had to go out of our way to get to 1000 miles as it's really only about 860 miles from where I live to Bastrop, Tx (it's near to the COTA and we didn't want to spend Austin level money on hotels).

I used the middle of the street as the GPS points so that the software wouldn't get confused and do the rerouting thing every time I missed a point. That worked fairly well except on the first stop where I must have misplaced the "point". But, it was a simple deletion of the point to stop the rerouting loop. Most all of my "stops" were at gas stations even though I might not have needed gas - that was usually a change of direction that I needed to record, but would fill up anyway. My riding buddy had no such gas issues as he has an extra tank and rides an FJR.

The navigation system performed very well for this effort and caused me absolutely no issues on the way over, and we completed the Saddle Sore 1000 route in just under 20 hours (being an old man I required a few more stops than my riding buddy).

I didn't plan a return route and I couldn't find in the software a way to reverse the loaded route. Not that we wanted to do another SS1K, but it would have been nice to reverse out of Texas the way we came in which we ultimately did, but using a different program. I tried to get the bike's nav code to route us out, but I had left the option unchecked to avoid toll roads. So, it directed us to a toll road to take us up to I20. Well, we didn't want to go on a toll road, so I stopped, thinking I could just unselect the option and have the software recalculate the route. It did, but something happened along the way and it reported that one of more of my "options" could not be executed and directed us back towards the toll road. I'm not completely sure what options I checked or unchecked at that point, so we went with my riding buddy's GPS which basically took us out the way we came in. We rode all the way back that day (just over 850 miles not counting the ride to the toll road). So, this was a fairly limited exercise of the software as I did not try looking for POI's, or worrying too much about the displayed map. The software did a good job of showing turns at the proper time and I found no spurious or incorrect data.

Overall, I give the navigation system a passing grade. It worked with the loaded route very well and the mistakes I made for the return route were more my lack of understanding the system than the system not performing. There's still plenty of hair on that dog and Honda should continue to improve the system and provide those improvements via the software update process. As a disclaimer, I do have Apple Maps and Google Maps, but wanted to test the Honda system so ruled out using those programs.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I've been using it with pretty much the same results as you. However trip planner only allows for 25 way points. I have been contacting gongs about every two weeks tho see if they fixed it, not yet. I agree that it should have a reverse route option also. Another reason to contact Honda.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The Honda trip planner website is pretty lame, especially when compared to Garmin Base Camp, or google my-maps.
You do have to be careful to place your waypoints on the road you intend to travel on. You can drag and drop the waypoint where you want It. However, by default, it will jump to a street address near to where you are trying to place the waypoint.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts