GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you use a My-T-Vac to bleed / Flush Clutch fluid?

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I believe that is what Fred uses.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes, you can - just be sure to keep the master cylinder full. I have speed bleeders for the brake system, but found it wasn't necessary for the clutch.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
The only thing a Mity Vac contributes to the procedure is to evacuate all but the last tiny bit of fluid from the reservoir (do NOT vicuum out that last bit down in the MC inlet). I have found that using the hand lever to purge the clutch lines is easier and more effective. Put a small diameter clear plastic tube on the bleeder, course that upward a foot or so and then bend it back down to the catch basin. Use the MityVac or a baster bulb to evacuate the excess old fluid form the reservoir. Fill the reservoir with new fluid. Open the bleeder and very slowly depress the hand lever fully and hold. Close the bleeder and then very slowly release the lever. If you see a tiny bubble "peepong" ou of the bleeder that won't just quite pass, get a pencil or small rod and tap the bleeder line drum stick fashion while you slowly depress the lever and it will eventually pop on out. Do take care to not deplete the reservoir, this does not take long to finish.

prs

·
Registered
207 Posts
I do what Pigeon Roost says about the reservoir, but from experience, I can tell you that the My-T-Vac works fine to bleed the system from the bleeder itself. No need to open and close the bleeder several times. It is EASY to drain the reservoir completely this way, so I found it was easier to have a helper keep the reservoir full, while I My-T-Vac'd the system from the bleeder until I saw fresh fluid coming out. Then I closed the bleeder, topped off the reservoir & buttoned her up.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do what Pigeon Roost says about the reservoir, but from experience, I can tell you that the My-T-Vac works fine to bleed the system from the bleeder itself. No need to open and close the bleeder several times. It is EASY to drain the reservoir completely this way, so I found it was easier to have a helper keep the reservoir full, while I My-T-Vac'd the system from the bleeder until I saw fresh fluid coming out. Then I closed the bleeder, topped off the reservoir & buttoned her up.
Exactally what I did....
WOW what a difference... I didn't know the fluid was THAT spongy!!!!!!
Like a NEW clutch... my hand hurts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Remember lastly after pulling new fluid down the line , pump it up a couple times and crack bleeder the old way to be sure to get the pressures up to par.
Most important to cover up painted areas well with plastic or old towels

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
This contraption helps because that tiny cup supplied is a joke especially on my wife's hemi which has about a gallon in each caliper.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Gresat idea Waldo but I make mine out of a glass jar so it won't compress under vaccum

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
......Open the bleeder and very slowly depress the hand lever fully and hold. Close the bleeder and then very slowly release the lever.....

Pidge,

Great explanation, as usual.

However, I'm confused about the "very slowly depress the hand lever" part. Seem to me that, for the compression stroke, you'd want to squeeze the lever rapidly to "blast" the air out of the bottom end of the system.

What am I missing here?

TIA!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can some of you mechanical geniuses, make and sell some of these Vac bottles.
I'd take one

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Can some of you mechanical geniuses, make and sell some of these Vac bottles.
I'd take one
On their web site, My-T-Vac sells a kit with fittings and what-not that makes a vacuum container out of an ordinary mason jar.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Pidge,

Great explanation, as usual.

However, I'm confused about the "very slowly depress the hand lever" part. Seem to me that, for the compression stroke, you'd want to squeeze the lever rapidly to "blast" the air out of the bottom end of the system.

What am I missing here?

TIA!
You will or have probably already noticed that the last tiny little bubble in the clutch bleeder is a real devil to get out. Its such a tiny little bubble, I bet most folks miss it altogether. That lil' sucker pokes his head out and then right at the last bit of travel of the lever he does the shy turtle thing and goes back inside the bleeder. If you mash the handle fast you would think it would squirt the little booger right out, but no; what happens is when the lever bottoms on the hand grip he jumps right back in. Most frustrating! But if you go really slow and rap the plastic drain tube right above the bleeder with a piece of dowel, that little bubble will finally float away from the bleeder. I have better success in teasing the little bubble out of there instead of aggitating him. ;-)

prs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts