GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased the new Kuryakyn wind deflectors for the 2018+ Wing so I thought I mention my thoughts, both good and bad. Firstly, I like the way they integrate with the lines of the bike, secondly, they work well. I haven’t tried any other wind deflectors so I can not compare these to them. These ones do their job and do it well, when closed along with the Honda OEM upper wind deflectors also being closed and the windshield in it’s uppermost position, you get very little wind on you. If you open up the Kuryakyn deflectors they direct a lot of air onto your legs and upper thigh area and when you open the Honda upper’s there is a lot of wind hitting you, great for hot weather riding. Thirdly, and here’s the rub, I am not a fan of how they mount. There are two strips of double sided tape that are supposed to stick on two places of the fairing that would cause an issue when the fairing needs to be removed. Hopefully the pictures will help explain this. I decided to put them on anyway but I did not used the tape where it would cause an issue when taking the bike apart. This, to me, is a very poor design. I’ll let you know whether they stay on without using the additional tape.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
When you open the deflectors to direct air in toward the rider are you getting fresh unheated air or heated radiator exhaust ??

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Thanks for the product report!!

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
When you open the deflectors to direct air in toward the rider are you getting fresh unheated air or heated radiator exhaust ??

Thanks for posting.

The radiator throws air out the side and the forward movement of the bike allows the hot air to flow back on the rider and passengers leg, hence the added deflector. If you want heat, then open the deflector.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I recently purchased the new Kuryakyn wind deflectors for the 2018+ Wing so I thought I mention my thoughts, both good and bad. Firstly, I like the way they integrate with the lines of the bike, secondly, they work well. I haven’t tried any other wind deflectors so I can not compare these to them. These ones do their job and do it well, when closed along with the Honda OEM upper wind deflectors also being closed and the windshield in it’s uppermost position, you get very little wind on you. If you open up the Kuryakyn deflectors they direct a lot of air onto your legs and upper thigh area and when you open the Honda upper’s there is a lot of wind hitting you, great for hot weather riding. Thirdly, and here’s the rub, I am not a fan of how they mount. There are two strips of double sided tape that are supposed to stick on two places of the fairing that would cause an issue when the fairing needs to be removed. Hopefully the pictures will help explain this. I decided to put them on anyway but I did not used the tape where it would cause an issue when taking the bike apart. This, to me, is a very poor design. I’ll let you know whether they stay on without using the additional tape.
That's why I decided to send my set of deflectors back to where I bought them. They look great and looked like they would work as advertised, but once installed using all the double sided tape, I thought is might be close to impossible to remove the bike's fairing panels ever again.

Hopefully someone will confirm that it is possible to remove the side fairing panels from the bike with the defectors installed.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's why I decided to send my set of deflectors back to where I bought them. They look great and looked like they would work as advertised, but once installed using all the double sided tape, I thought is might be close to impossible to remove the bike's fairing panels ever again.

Hopefully someone will confirm that it is possible to remove the side fairing panels from the bike with the defectors installed.
I installed mine, I just didn’t use the double sided tape that would cause an issue.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Mine are supposed to be here on Thursday, and I've thought about doing just that, but my concern is that velcro is noticeably thicker than simple double-sided foam tape, so it may throw off the looks. Honestly, double-stick foam tape is cheap, and it's not really that difficult to remove if you had to, so I personally think this is not as big of a problem as some are making it out to be. If you have to remove the deflectors to work with the fairings, a little heat will loosen up that foam tape for removal. Granted, it stinks to have to do that every time, but how often are we actually doing that?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Mine are supposed to be here on Thursday, and I've thought about doing just that, but my concern is that velcro is noticeably thicker than simple double-sided foam tape, so it may throw off the looks. Honestly, double-stick foam tape is cheap, and it's not really that difficult to remove if you had to, so I personally think this is not as big of a problem as some are making it out to be. If you have to remove the deflectors to work with the fairings, a little heat will loosen up that foam tape for removal. Granted, it stinks to have to do that every time, but how often are we actually doing that?

I would think it would be an easy fix to replace the sticky tape and I keep plenty on hand for my projects, which also includes Dual Lock.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I installed mine, I just didn’t use the double sided tape that would cause an issue.
I put mine on with just the screws, this was to look at and see how they fit. I think these screws will not hold the Deflectors, not sure what the screws thread into but that is a lot of force hitting these at 70+. I also noticed the front edge did not fit into the fairing as well which the tape would help.

I really do not want to use the tape as others has said it will be next to impossible to remove, but I also do not want to jeopardize the attachment points. If there were four or maybe lager screws it might have worked.

That said, they look great, almost as if they were factory built that way. Not sure how they function but look like they should work really well.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Got mine today. I think folks are way too worried about that tape. It will peal right off and is easily replace. Love the look, fit and finish. Tomorrow looks much cooler, will report on effectiveness then.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Put mine on last night before the THANKFULLY last day of heat for the year, so I could get an opportunity to test them in the high 90's, and the 25 degree! cooler temperatures tomorrow. My initial impression is that they absolutely do what they advertise. With the vents fully forward (closed), my legs felt cooler as the radiator heat was being blown to the sides. My heavens could I have used these for the past few months in sweltering SC. When I opened them to the middle (straight back) position, it felt as if they weren't on at all. I couldn't really tell any discernible difference from before they were installed. I suspect this means that when cooler temperatures arrive, I will be able to appreciate the heat when I want it. I tried running with them in the fully rearward (think suicide door) position, thinking that it might help direct more air in. At least IMHO, I don't think it really made much difference. But the heat index was still over 100 today, so it might not be the best indicator.

As for styling, I really do think Kuryakyn has knocked it out of the park on this one. I'm not sure there's a lot of improvement to be made here.

Build quality, although pretty good overall, did have a couple nitpicks. They molded the parts on the parts tree in such a way that when they are removed, it leaves a small, but still quite noticeable white dimple on the otherwise flawless plastic, RIGHT where you can see it. Why they didn't do this on the UNDERSIDE is a mystery to me. I'm sure a little fine grit sandpaper and a quick dab of gloss black will tidy that up enough to keep it from a being a distraction on an otherwise great looking part.

NOW, let's talk about that double-sided tape. I originally thought it was going to be regular double-sided foam tape. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that it was actually the much stronger VHB tape. This stuff is known to be stronger than rivets, and I use it on a bunch of projects around the house. It's tough stuff, but it WILL loosen up if you apply the right amount of heat and can get something wedged in there. I just wouldn't try it in really cold temperatures, or you WILL damage the parts you're trying to separate. In fact, this stuff should be both applied and removed under higher heat. When I initially mated the left deflector to the cowl, the included tape just couldn't quite mate to the painted under portion. It could *reach* if you tried to push it on, but it wouldn't stick. So I ended up removing the deflector (which it did so just fine), and applied a second trip of VHB to this short section, and reinstalled. It's now affixed VERY firmly, and ain't going nowhere. In fact, I went ahead and did this to the other side as well. Granted the adhesive hadn't quite achieved it's maximum bond (that can take 12- 24 hours), but I stand by my belief that they're not difficult to remove.

I did encounter another negative that is not so much a negative of the product, but rather a negative of my particular situation. I use Goldstrike highway boards, and the deflectors stick out enough in the closed position that I can't comfortably rest my legs on the boards any longer. This might be fixable by relocating them slightly rearward or downward, but I haven't tried that yet. Just food for thought if you are considering them. I have a 34" inseam for reference, and my boards are mounted in the most forward position, with the arm pointing straight up.

edit: Went out for a ride this morning, with temperatures in the low 60s. This is nearly 35 degrees cooler than my ride home yesterday afternoon. With the vents closed, my legs felt rather chilly, but as soon as I opened them up, I could immediately feel the warm air off the radiators. So these are absolute winners in my book.

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the same measurement, 34 inseam, and the same bars, but did not have any issues with the deflectors rubbing my legs. My pegs are angled back a little more but that shouldn't matter. I bet my Corbin seat is the difference, I am back and lower so maybe that made the difference.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Put mine on last night before the THANKFULLY last day of heat for the year, so I could get an opportunity to test them in the high 90's, and the 25 degree! cooler temperatures tomorrow. My initial impression is that they absolutely do what they advertise. With the vents fully forward (closed), my legs felt cooler as the radiator heat was being blown to the sides. My heavens could I have used these for the past few months in sweltering SC. When I opened them to the middle (straight back) position, it felt as if they weren't on at all. I couldn't really tell any discernible difference from before they were installed. I suspect this means that when cooler temperatures arrive, I will be able to appreciate the heat when I want it. I tried running with them in the fully rearward (think suicide door) position, thinking that it might help direct more air in. At least IMHO, I don't think it really made much difference. But the heat index was still over 100 today, so it might not be the best indicator.

As for styling, I really do think Kuryakyn has knocked it out of the park on this one. I'm not sure there's a lot of improvement to be made here.

Build quality, although pretty good overall, did have a couple nitpicks. They molded the parts on the parts tree in such a way that when they are removed, it leaves a small, but still quite noticeable white dimple on the otherwise flawless plastic, RIGHT where you can see it. Why they didn't do this on the UNDERSIDE is a mystery to me. I'm sure a little fine grit sandpaper and a quick dab of gloss black will tidy that up enough to keep it from a being a distraction on an otherwise great looking part.

NOW, let's talk about that double-sided tape. I originally thought it was going to be regular double-sided foam tape. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that it was actually the much stronger VHB tape. This stuff is known to be stronger than rivets, and I use it on a bunch of projects around the house. It's tough stuff, but it WILL loosen up if you apply the right amount of heat and can get something wedged in there. I just wouldn't try it in really cold temperatures, or you WILL damage the parts you're trying to separate. In fact, this stuff should be both applied and removed under higher heat. When I initially mated the left deflector to the cowl, the included tape just couldn't quite mate to the painted under portion. It could *reach* if you tried to push it on, but it wouldn't stick. So I ended up removing the deflector (which it did so just fine), and applied a second trip of VHB to this short section, and reinstalled. It's now affixed VERY firmly, and ain't going nowhere. In fact, I went ahead and did this to the other side as well. Granted the adhesive hadn't quite achieved it's maximum bond (that can take 12- 24 hours), but I stand by my belief that they're not difficult to remove.

I did encounter another negative that is not so much a negative of the product, but rather a negative of my particular situation. I use Goldstrike highway boards, and the deflectors stick out enough in the closed position that I can't comfortably rest my legs on the boards any longer. This might be fixable by relocating them slightly rearward or downward, but I haven't tried that yet. Just food for thought if you are considering them. I have a 34" inseam for reference, and my boards are mounted in the most forward position, with the arm pointing straight up.

edit: Went out for a ride this morning, with temperatures in the low 60s. This is nearly 35 degrees cooler than my ride home yesterday afternoon. With the vents closed, my legs felt rather chilly, but as soon as I opened them up, I could immediately feel the warm air off the radiators. So these are absolute winners in my book.
On a side note, how do you like the Goldstrike Floorboards compared to the stock Honda pegs? Thanks

·
Registered
2,946 Posts

So how did it work out without the tape? I have a set coming tomorrow and rather not use the tape if I don't have to.

·
Registered
39 Posts
To remove objects with 3M double-sided tape or similar product, a simple fishing line wire or even strong (waxed type) dental floss will do the job. Some windshield installer use fishing line wire to remove windshield.

Used both a few times, never an issue.

So this would not be a concern for me installing these. Will probably get them when they become widely available or even a Americade 2020.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts