GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Red/Black Goldwing Tour DCT
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the new Garmin Zumo 550. The bluetooth is paired to my LG 8300 cell phone. I have it set up in my truck now in the auto cradle and when the MP3 player is on and there is an incoming phone call the Zumo says I have a phone call from such and such number...do I want to answer it and turns the music off. The same thing happens with the voice prompts from the GPS if I am playing the music, the music shuts off and I hear the voice prompts.

I am waiting for John at Kennedy Systems to finish his system for the GL1800 before I put it on the bike.

So far the Zumo is working great...it's different than my 2610 . They both have good and bad points but for the average user... the Zumo will be better because it is mush easier, faster, and is more user friendly (IMO).

Ed... :roll:

·
Registered
319 Posts
ED norton(CT) said:
I have the new Garmin Zumo 550. The bluetooth is paired to my LG 8300 cell phone. I have it set up in my truck now in the auto cradle and when the MP3 player is on and there is an incoming phone call the Zumo says I have a phone call from such and such number...do I want to answer it and turns the music off. The same thing happens with the voice prompts from the GPS if I am playing the music, the music shuts off and I hear the voice prompts.

So far the Zumo is working great...it's different than my 2610 . They both have good and bad points but for the average user... the Zumo will be better because it is mush easier, faster, and is more user friendly (IMO).

Ed... :roll:
I'd better chime in here before the threatened people who don't own a Zumo hijack the thread specifically to tell you why it's a POS or how you could have done better with something else... (ha - you watch, "Zumo" is like a magnet!):

Because it is first and foremost a GPS device which allows 1 or 2-way communication, Garmin considers the spoken word intrinsically more important than music. Accordingly, for matters of safety, it is specifically designed to pause your music without sound when there are navigation prompts. Music is then relegated to being secondary. Of course you can simply turn off the audible navigational prompts to erase this situation.

When you engage in or are given an option to make or receive a phone call, then that source even trumps the navigational prompts and temporarily shuts both that AND the music down. Presumably if you are interested enough in speaking telephonically on a motorcycle, Garmin assigns top priority to that and removes any extraneous interruption. Of course there is or won't be any work-around for this so long as you use Zumo as your telephone/Bluetooth interface. However, In both instances this temporary interruption of the music is logical, and makes sense. I'm gathering you'd rather hear your music, but personally I think it's pretty ingenious and kind of cool!

Thanks for that info too regarding your successful pairing of your LG phone. I'm trying to keep track of those cell phones that people have personally used that work, which don't appear on Garmin's website list, I will post them all on Razorbiker's new Zumo-only (all-bike) forum (which you are certainly invited to attend if your needs or inclination permit: http://razorbiker.com/zumo/index.php)

Otherwise, congratulations on your purchase; as you've seen on this board (or could see on the VTXOA and Zumo boards) everybody who owns one universally likes and/or loves it. And as soon as I get mine on Tuesday, of course I'll be in the latter category. :D

billwild said:
Good comments Ed. Do keep us updated. I [personally like a little bigger screen and was deciding between the new 2820 and the Zumo 550.

Bill
If you are considering one of those two and your decision might be predicated on the larger screen size then you should go with the Zumo which is very slightly bigger:

MODEL.................................W...........H..........Sq. Inches
Zumo...................................2.8.........2.1............5.88
26xx, 27xx, 28xx Series......3.3.........1.7............5.61

They are certainly both great GPSs, however, as you can easily discern from the below comparison chart of "Motorcycle GPSs" from the GPS Now website, the Zumo additionally boasts carrying the SiRF-III chipset/high-sensitivity receiver (making it as Ed says above, "faster"), the cool new Garmin anti-lock feature (if you elect to engage, the unit won't turn on unless you put in your 4-digit security code), the .jpg picture viewer to share photos at your destination, the high-bright sunlight readable and UV-resistant screen, an open SD card slot to expand storage of your music and other files, supplementally being able to run on a rechargeable lithion-ium battery to provide power to your Zumo when the motorcycle is turned off, or in a hotel, restaurant on the road, or at home. Not mentioned but lastly, a Zumo complete motorcycle mounting hardware (i.e., the RAM mount and hardwire power cable for your bike) is included at no additional cost. Oh, and have I mentioned that the Zumo is NOT the size of a small brick...?

http://www.gpsnow.com/motorcycle_gps.htm

Regarding price, the GPS Now site shows that the Zumo and 2820 are selling (there) at the same price. Note that the 2730 listed to the left of the 2820 would be a worse deal since the price difference between it and the Zumo/2830 would be the same if you purchased the GXM-30 antenna/receiver for $200, which I did; and probably accounts for it's being discontinued as people recognized it as a sucker buy, especially because it doesn't even include Bluetooth at the same price as the Zumo/2820 -- what are we, idiots?).

So, considering the entire package of the Zumo, the choice for me was unequivocally easy.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
mbresso said:
... If you are considering one of those two and your decision might be predicated on the larger screen size then you should go with the Zumo which is very slightly bigger:

MODEL.................................W...........H..........Sq. Inches
Zumo...................................2.8.........2.1............5.88
26xx, 27xx, 28xx Series......3.3.........1.7............5.61
Maybe when you finally get yours, you'll see that the actual USABLE area for the map display on the Zumo is actually only about 3.6 square inches.

... the high-bright sunlight readable and UV-resistant screen
The 'high-bright' display actually turns out to be no brighter or more readable than the 27-28 series units in the sun. (If it is any brighter, it's not much. Not at all like the GPSMap family of displays)

Regarding price, the GPS Now site shows that the Zumo and 2820 are selling (there) at the same price...
Actually, the GPSNow site has the 2820 for $759.95 and the Zumo for $999.99 (since they are a direct Garmin retailer, they are bound by the new MRP pricing policy that applies to the Zumo. They play the same old game with the 'Add to cart to see our lowest price' on the 2820.) Since you can find both these units for the same price from some dealers, it really boils down to what features you really want/need.

The Zumo has many great features and will fit the needs of most M/C GPS buyers. The more time I spend with it (yes, I actually have used one :) although I wouldn't keep it for myself) the more I like it.

There are GPS users who will miss the ability to turn off the data tabs, customize their content, or even the ability to zoom in on a POI icon and actually select it and do something with it without having to save it as a favorite first.

Since there is a lot of interest in this unit and a lot of people would like to see the units' features and options before making a decision, I've started making a webpage that allows you to test-drive it. It's a work in progress, and more features will be added daily, but you can review the status of it at this link.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Jon,

That is a SWEEEEEET "test drive." Umm.. could you do the same thing for each GPS I'm considering? :lol:

Seriously... I applaud your efforts in giving us a "feel" for what the Zumo is/does.

Thank you for doing that for us.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Jon, you have entirely too much time on your hands. Hmmm...what can I do to add more work to your schedule.....hmmmm... :wink:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Jon, it is interesting that BLADE aka MBRESSO only tells you how GREAT this unit is or will be since he has not had this puppy in his own hands and it just sounds like he is PAID by GARMIN to tout this product even though he doesn't have it in his own hands to REVIEW!!!

How can you say UNEQUIVOCABLY that this is the unit to own after you & others have stated that there are problems or limitations.

He has not even posted in your other post about the limitations about the ZUMO, VERY INTERESTING!!! I think he is losing credibility very quickly because he has stated that the ZUMO will do this or that without having any knowledge about it and then when he reads anything critical about it, he doesn't respond but still says that it is a fantastic unit.

THAT is BS!!!

I would bet BIG BUCKS that he is a GARMIN PLANT as he had issues way too much info about this unit and now he can't even answer your critique!!! VERY INTERESTING!!!

WHERE ARE YOU BLADE AKA MBRESSO???

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
First of all, it wasn't a critique, but a list of my observations after having spent about 60 hours working with it.

Mike is free to have and voice his opinions about this unit. I don't think that he's a Garmin plant, just an enthusiastic new purchaser who has obviously done a lot of research. Unfortunately, some of the posted information wasn't quite accurate and some of the 'deficiencies' are not and probably won't be published either.

My goal of the post was not to bash the unit or try to deter anyone from buying one. Hopefully, the information will help shed some light on the unit so people will know what they might be spending their hard-earned money on.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Jon said:
Hopefully, the information will help shed some light on the unit so people will know what they might be spending their hard-earned money on.
Jon,

That's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. Objective comparisons from someone informed. My only previous GPS was an E Trex. Currently I've narrowed my choices down to the 2820 or the Zumo.

From everything my friends tell me the new Zumo will not allow you to turn off the Auto Routing feature. Most of these friends consider that a deal breaker.

I would appreciate your opinion.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Your friends are correct - there is currently no way to turn off the 'Auto-Recalculate' function.

If you're used to planning routes on MapSource you're probably going to have to use many more 'hard' waypoints than you're used to so that when the unit recalculates, it doesn't screw your route up too much.

The good news is that the unit is very fast in its' recalculations, so you can see the impact quickly.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Jon, I just like to tease Blade, but what you did was an objective analysis of this unit and that is what we need. And yes Mike is an over zealous enthusiastic soon to be owner of this unit and very well informed about this unit.

I am just curious that someone that zealous about a unit before it comes out should offer us his comments on the deficiencies of this unit as well as the good points and concede that maybe it is not the end all and be all that he has touted it to be. He just stated that UNEQUIVOCABLY it is the ZUMO and I'm not so sure I would be that ecstatic over this unit until I had test driven it.

I just found out how to do some things on my 2730 that I didn't know before such as avoidance setup which now makes the unit alot better. I just wish it had the ability to store 10,000 track points such as the ZUMO. Mike, let's hear how you feel about some of these points that have been made about your ZUMO!!!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Jon said:
First of all, it wasn't a critique, but a list of my observations after having spent about 60 hours working with it.

Mike is free to have and voice his opinions about this unit. I don't think that he's a Garmin plant, just an enthusiastic new purchaser who has obviously done a lot of research. Unfortunately, some of the posted information wasn't quite accurate and some of the 'deficiencies' are not and probably won't be published either.

My goal of the post was not to bash the unit or try to deter anyone from buying one. Hopefully, the information will help shed some light on the unit so people will know what they might be spending their hard-earned money on.
Right on Jon. I think that Blade is just like me, an enthusiastic new owner (or owner to be if he has not received his yet) of a product that we like and will do what we want it to do. I know that there are more sophisticated untits out there who's features some folks can't live without. But personally for a first GPS I am blown away by how nice and easy it is to use the Zumo and how many features it does have. So I am with Blade, an excited and happy new Garmin customer.

And Jon is doing a great job of helping us out with information on the unit that we just bought. Thanks Jon.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have had my Zumo since last Tuesday and have played with it for several hours. My only other GPS experience was with an Etrex Vista C which I used on my ST1300 and in my cars. It did what i wanted it to and more. The Zumo is a mojor upgrade over the Etrex for me.

So far I am happy with the Zumo, once I get the right cable so connect my cell phone to the unit and my Autocom I will be very happy. I am still working on mounting it on the bike, it is currently too close to me to see comfortably, I bought a couple of ram adapters at a local shop which has helped but I need to find one of the long ram double socket arms.

I have found the Zumo to be VERY user friendly, it is easy to find a location and then make it a waypoint. My wife took a trip recently and in order to make sure that it took her the way she wanted to go I had to add waypoints at major turns in order to "fool" the automatic system. She liked it which is a major statement.

I did notice that when using it in the car, in just the map mode, that it automatically zooms in and out depending on where you are at, I kind of like this feature.

I am very happy with the Zumo!

Wayne

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
DubT said:
... I did notice that when using it in the car, in just the map mode, that it automatically zooms in and out depending on where you are at, I kind of like this feature...
I haven't been able to get the unit to auto-zoom except while routing and it's based on the distance to the next turn.

One thing I noticed was that the SiRF antenna did not do any better getting reception in the downtown Seattle 'urban canyon' than the iWay does with an external antenna. Traffic was very slow tonight in the city (everybody headed towards the football game) and it took 30 minutes to go four blocks and the Zumo took the full four blocks to get a satellite lock.

It also did a very poor job of estimating the arrival time back home. The freeway traffic was virtually stopped for 15-20 miles because of the snow and we were moving 5-10MPH the whole way and the 'Arrival Time' didn't update and extend like it should have with little to no progress for so long.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My Zumo 550 was just delivered earlier tonight and I have been sitting here reading and playing with it a bit. I think I will mount it in my truck for awhile to become a little more familiar with its operation and abilities prior to actually mounting on my bike. Having zero past experience with a GPS mounted on a motorcycle, I have nothing to really compare to, but I will say this: I sure like the touch screen and the available options that it provides. It also appears to be very well built and really good quality. Time will tell on how well it does on the bike, but from what little I've seen of it so far..... I do believe I'm gonna LIKE IT!!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
xxxrider, what are you, the GPS police??? If you are entitled to have an opinion, why is Mike Bresso not likewise entitled? Afterall, as the saying goes, "opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one." So, why not leave Mike alone and not act like an a.............!!!

The opinions expressed here are the sole ownership of the posters and that is all we need to know. If we use our brains for something worthwhile like ferreting out the quality from the lacking in quality, instead of bashing one another, then we are more likely to distinguish ourselves from just being opinionated as opposed to an opinionated a............

Please not that I do not know either of the posters I have referenced nor have I tried the item in question. Therefore my post is simply "MY" opinion. That and $.75 might get you a cup of coffee. :roll:

Oh, and BTW, I don't have any problem putting my name on my post. :p

Todd

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.