GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAD THIS SAME PROMBLEM ON TWO GL1200'S, A HARLEY FATBOY, AND MY 03 GL1800. EACH TIME IT WAS THE TORQUE ON THE HEAD BEARINGS. I FEEL THAT MUCH OF THE CONFUSION COMES FROM AN ODD WEAR PATTERN ON THE TIRES DUE TO THE LOOSE BEARINGS. SO WHEN YOU TIGHTEN THE HEAD BEARINGS AND LEAVE THE WORN TIRE YOU WILL STILL HAVE PROBLEMS. MY GL 1800 I BOUGHT THE SOCKET AND TIGHTEN THE HEAD BEARINGS TO ALLOW A VERY SLIGHT DRAG,AND INSTALLED A NEW E3. I AM NOW READY TO MOUNT AND BALANCE A NEW TIRE (WHICH I DO MY SELF) . I DROVE 22K MILES ON THAT E3 THAT I INSTALL WHEN I TIGHTEN THE HEAD BEARINGS.
I BELIEVE THE ANSWER IS TO TIGHTEN THE BEARINGS ENOUGH TO HAVE A SLIGHT DRAG AND BE SURE TO START WITH A NEW TIRE SO THAT YOU DO NOT EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS FROM THE ODD WEAR ON THE OLD TIRE. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I fully agree with what you said. I have fixed 5 or more 1500 and my old 1100 with just what you said. My 1800 does not have a wobble at this time but if it did I would change to All Balls bearings and torque them to 22 ft/lb. I really think that the odd tire wear is more a result than cause.

·
Registered
16,851 Posts
The "drag" or pre-load should be about 2 1/2 to 3# on spring scale.

prs

1 - 3 of 3 Posts