GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got through installing a Tulsa pan on my Wing. For me it was a very frustrating experience until I called Allen at Tulsa.

I bought the pan 3-4 months ago and tried in vain then to get it installed. Those darn Dzus fasteners did me in.

So I put the pan back in its packing and waited until today to try again. Same result today, so I put it back in the packing again.

Then it occured to me to call Tulsa. I got Allen on the line (late on a Friday afternoon, by the way) and he gave me some tips on installation and told me look him up at WOTS if I still was unsuccessful.

I went back to the garage and gave it one more effort. Well, to my surprise, the thing went in place when I followed Allen's install advice.

Now, bring on the oil filter piercing rocks! My belly pan is ready to defend my Wing.

Thanks, Allen, for making my day. Maybe I'll look you up at WOTS just to shake your hand. You won't be at Hal's BBQ by any chance will you?

Ride safe. Looking forward to seeing the gang next Friday at the BBQ.

Bob E.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
did you get the one piece or two? I got the two piece for "easier" oil changes...well let me tell you...it took longer to get that piece of the belly pan back on then the entire oil change process!! but you can see dents and debris marks, so it is great to have!!

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
S&W Triker said:
did you get the one piece or two? I got the two piece for "easier" oil changes...well let me tell you...it took longer to get that piece of the belly pan back on then the entire oil change process!! but you can see dents and debris marks, so it is great to have!!
Two piece....didn't know there was a one piece pan (say that fast 5 times).

The back piece was easy, but getting the Dzus thingies connected was the headache.

But, it's done now and I'm happy.

Bob E.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
so what is the trick...I have the back piece on...but can only get one side of the front piece on....let me know the trick....

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Odds are they are Southco fasteners, not Dzus fasteners - Tulsa quite using the Dzus fasteners due to problems. There were a pain for me too.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
They are Southco fasteners...but still a pain...I can only get one fastened...must be something I'm missing to get them fastened....I want to know Allen's tips....

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gwlrhfarm said:
so what is the trick...I have the back piece on...but can only get one side of the front piece on....let me know the trick....
Here's what Allen told me (as best I can recall):

Place the front part of the front piece under the cowl like it's supposed to fit, then attach the right side fastener first (I did this with good light and used a pair of needle nose vice grips to get the spring on the Dzus to compress).

Then I did the left side using the same technique.

Allen says it will get easier with each oil change since the spring relaxes over time.

Don't know if that's a good enough description, but hope that helps you. If you still have trouble call Allen. He's a really nice guy and was more than willing to help me.

Good luck.

Bob E.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
William Anzik said:
Odds are they are Southco fasteners, not Dzus fasteners - Tulsa quite using the Dzus fasteners due to problems. There were a pain for me too.
William, you are probably right. I called them Dzus because that's what the installation instructions call them (and I don't know the difference :oops: ).

Whatever they are they are a challenge to get together the first time.

Bob E.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
:shock:

How come ya didn't pm me or call I'd driven down to assist ya!!! :roll: :?
We can't have ya hurtin' those hands quite yet. :wink:
I think over the past few weeks with my personalization project I've had mine off/on 3-4 times. :wink:

:flg:

·
Registered
750 Posts
They have got to be EXACTLY lined up or it can be very frustating. Also, put a little graphite/high temp grease on em and they go in like greased lightning, BUT they have got to be lined up!!
Removed/installed thousands of em during my career in the USAF as a Jet Engine Technician.

·
Registered
747 Posts
i dont know what belly pan i have but it has 3 sheet metal screws and the front drops so easily, easy reinstall too.

G

·
I have to agree it gets easier each time you remove and reinstall them. I had a bear of a tme when I first put mine on. After a half dozen oil changes I don't even have to do that little neck lift to align the fasteners anymore.
It had also saved my bacon realy well once. Well worth the cost.

Pat

·
Registered
220 Posts
Use a screw driver between the engine and the belly pan at the fastener and pry down some while tightening the fastener. The install was very easy, 10 minutes tops including reading the instructions. Cheers!

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
One thing to remember with this type of fastener is that it is only a 1/4 turn to attach or detach and alignment is important.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts