GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well tonight was my turn to be stuck a little distant from home. I go to Fernandina for coffee and to watch the parade of people on Sat. night. When I went to leave I turned the key and hit the start switch and everything went dead. Tried several times and nothing. Saw the neutral light as I tried the key several times but it went out immediately. Started to call for help and as I was I tried the key once more and it was a go. Got home and switched off only to have a repeat of earlier. Won't start now. Anyone who's got experience with these symptoms their input would be most welcome. If I had to guess I would say one of the start relays ( or both ) is the culprit. Thanks in advance.

LAW :eek:4:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
First step is to check the battery voltage. Make sure that is good, then go from there. Also check for loose battery connection.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
My 06 has failed twice. Once it was the battery cable worked loose. The first time was when it was pretty new. The cable that goes to the start relay was loose on the really end. Tightened that up and never had a problem with that particular failure again..good luck.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just experience the problem on my 07 within the last month. Had my dealer check it out and he found that the kill switch was extremely sensitive with just a very slight touch and it would kill the start function. sprayed some contact cleaner in the cracks of all the switches in and around the starter switch and it seemed to help for a while. Then one day about a week ago it did the same thing. Checked the kill switch again to make sure that it was not engaged. Still nothing. I finally noticed that by just a slight touch on the ignition key and the damn thing started right up. I have not had the starting problem sense last week but I am vigialently waiting for this to happen again so that I can verify that this is what my problem is. If it turns out that it is the problem then I will have my ignition changed out. If you happen to find out any thing about your problem I would be interested to know.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Check the battery cables as Kit said. Go to a Radio Shack and get some contact cleaner/lubricator and spray into the starter button. I carry a can on the bike in case of a sticky switch. Plain contact cleaner will wash all the lubricant away and make things worse.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the battery connections this morning under the kiss principle and in fact it was those very connections that caused my troubles. Thanx all

LAW :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts