GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did an Ironbutt yesterday, off the record. Final mileage door to door was 1001.8 on my 2010's odometer but gps was a little off on the low side but the bikes odometer is what I went by. The route was, I left my house in Johnson, NY at 4:25am, I took I/84w into Pa. to I/380w to Scranton I/81s to Harrisburg, then took I/76w to Pittsburgh then I/79n to I/80w into Ohio then took 11n to I/90e back into Pa. I/86e into Ny to Binhamton back to I/81s to Scranton to I/380e to I/84e and back home @8:10pm. Avg speed 68.8 highest speed 81.2 total time 15hrs45mins. Total stoptime was 51 mins and change. Total rolling time 14.9hrs and change. 4 gas stops, avg mpg around 40mpg. Bike ran like a swiss clock and my ass never bothered me at all.:thumbup: Utopia backrest was great, could have done a BBG without a problem! Saw a ton of bikes out cruising 90% Harleys. Only saw 5 wings, 2 1800's, 2 1500's and a 1200. It was eazy doing the IB on a 1800. I was thinking about my old girl (81GL1100), sittin in the garage undercover, how would I feel if I took her on a IB.. She would have made it no problem but even with the Corbin saddle with back rest, it wouldn't be as good on my butt as the 1800. Maybe I'll take her on one next year:eek:4::22yikes::thumbup:

I now have 9530 mile on my 2010 Titanium:thumbup: I got it new 3/12/2011

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
To let you know ..GW odometer are off ...... your GPS was probably correct.. You may want to keep this in mind for the future. But the in respect to your ride .. 1000 +/- in under 15 is good.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Did an Ironbutt yesterday, off the record. Final mileage door to door was 1001.8 on my 2010's odometer but gps was a little off on the low side but the bikes odometer is what I went by....
I'm not trying to denigrate your ride, LD rides are great and it is an accomplishment to ride long distances certified or not, but just remember Ironbutt is trademarked by the IBA and it refers to a certified ride that meets distance, time and verification requirements. This ride didn't meet those requirements but congratulation on a nice long day ride. Next time, plan your route to cover a little over 1000 miles, keep the paper work, and send it in for certification, get the plate backer and join a great group of riders.

BTW, I often do un-certified LD rides, many more than certified ones, they are great fun, give a sense of satisfaction when completed but they are not Ironbutt rides.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
To let you know ..GW odometer are off ...... your GPS was probably correct.. You may want to keep this in mind for the future. But the in respect to your ride .. 1000 +/- in under 15 is good.
Anyone actually verified this to still be true on the 10's? I will be today for my own knowledge.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Maybe they need a 'Iron Cheek' run.

500 miles in 24 hours.

You can get certified for the 'Left' or 'Right' award. :joke:

·
Administrator
3,844 Posts
Congrats on your ride. Sounds like you're off to a good start with 9500 miles in 4 months.

Be careful, or you may get hooked on LD riding. It can be addicting. Next time you decide to scratch that itch, take Bubba1's advice and plan a slightly longer trip to make CERTAIN that you meet the minimum mileage requirements, get starting and ending witnesses, keep receipts, and get your ride certified. The IBA license backer plate alone is a good conversation starter.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it. It is a great way to spend a day.

Glen

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Fuse
Let us know .. I haven't seen anything different. It would be interesting to know. If I go out on a ride with my buddy today, I'll have him check his 2010 also.

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
Anyone actually verified this to still be true on the 10's? I will be today for my own knowledge.
one of my friends has an 09, the speedometer is more accurate than my 02 but the odometer is still off by about the same amount

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I shoved off at 1:00am yesterday morning to make a flying trip to WingDing. Hoped to look around at the vendor booths, visit with Tom Finch, with Rick from WingStuff (and hear the Vance & Hines mufflers on stock pipes) and with Max from Traxxion.

Parked at the Convention Center @ 8:55am, Tom had to leave due to a death in the family, Rick was wrapped up and their "demo" muffler bike was gone and Max was absent due to just getting married. Fortunately, Kury had a 2012 Wing with V&H mufflers, so not a total loss. Rolled out of the parking lot at 11:15am and headed to Tellico Plains.

Crossed the Skyway, rode Deal's Gap, headed south to Helen, GA all on mountain, back-roads. Passed through Helen and then, rode back-roads/2-lanes to avoid Atlanta (Hwy53 toward Rome, 411, Hwy 20, etc.) over to Gadsden, AL before getting back on the slab. Rode thru a pretty wicked rain/electrical storm in the Birmingham/Tuscaloosa area just before mid-night. Arrived at home at 2:10 am this morning with 1,386 miles on the clock with many of those miles on slower mountain roads. Spent 2hrs, 20 min @ Wing Ding (parking and unparking burned up a fair amount of time, as well as, avoiding GWRRA recruiters). The number of Wings there was impressive. Spent another 20-30 minutes at the CrossRoads Cafe (last gas station before Skyway) at Tellico Plains choking down a cheeseburger and the rest of the time was in the saddle.

Although my riding buddy and I, both, are IBA members, we did not document anything and doubt I could have based on the route. It didn't start out as an IB ride, and therefore, it can't end up as one. In that instance, it falls under the heading of "just another fun day of riding" with my buddy. It was his first trip out of state on my old Wing I sold him so he could dump his problematic K1200LT. Last time I saw him this morning when we split up, he was still grinning from ear to ear. Before dogging it off this morning, he wanted to go make a local loop for 14 more miles to get the mileage up to an even 1,400 miles....

Although I've been doing LD rides since the '80s, I didn't start documenting some of them until recent years. For reasons that escape me, I resisted the "paper-work" ride and was operating under the "I know I did it and that's all I need" mentality. After finally documenting my first IB ride, I wished I had started doing it a long time ago as it adds a whole new dimension to the ride.

A riding day like yesterday and a ride "on the clock" just feel different. Yesterday, my schedule could have changed with the wind (ie, found an interesting resturant, met an interesting person or interesting shop). On the clock, you tend to think about the verification part of the ride where the IB crew can easily see what you did. Not all of my LD rides will be documented but the pre-meditated ones will be.

I made an attempt at a BBG (1500/24 hrs) on a trip to Key West on New Year's Eve Day. I under estimated the traffic in the Keys (and the number of LEOs on duty) and was 64 miles short of my goal at 24 hours but went on to ride 2,094 miles in just a couple of minutes over 30 hours. Although I got a starting witness form signed, kept all gas & turnpike reciepts, I didn't submit anything to IBA as I didn't accomplish what I set out to do. When I got my first inclination that it was "iffy" whether or not I was going to make it, it just added to the excitement... I wasn't disappointed at all. If I knew it was going to be a slam-dunk, the ride would not have been so inviting to me.

Long story short, try a "paper-work" ride. It's not as complicated as it sounds and it only enhances the experience. Like my buddy wanting to make the extra loop for 14 more miles....it didn't matter. On a documented ride, it does matter. I generated my own IBA witness forms (one form to use for start or finish) and keep a few in my trunk as you never know when the opportunity may come up and that's about all you need to get one kicked off.

Sounds like you have no problem doing the miles and obviously, its interesting enough to get you out of bed early and analyzing your after-ride stats. You owe it to yourself to do at least one "documented" ride and although I'm not a gambler, per se, I'd be willing to bet it wouldn't be your last.

Congrats.

Z

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I shoved off at 1:00am yesterday morning to make a flying trip to WingDing. Hoped to look around at the vendor booths, visit with Tom Finch, with Rick from WingStuff (and hear the Vance & Hines mufflers on stock pipes) and with Max from Traxxion.

Parked at the Convention Center @ 8:55am, Tom had to leave due to a death in the family, Rick was wrapped up and their "demo" muffler bike was gone and Max was absent due to just getting married. Fortunately, Kury had a 2012 Wing with V&H mufflers, so not a total loss. Rolled out of the parking lot at 11:15am and headed to Tellico Plains.

Crossed the Skyway, rode Deal's Gap, headed south to Helen, GA all on mountain, back-roads. Passed through Helen and then, rode back-roads/2-lanes to avoid Atlanta (Hwy53 toward Rome, 411, Hwy 20, etc.) over to Gadsden, AL before getting back on the slab. Rode thru a pretty wicked rain/electrical storm in the Birmingham/Tuscaloosa area just before mid-night. Arrived at home at 2:10 am this morning with 1,386 miles on the clock with many of those miles on slower mountain roads. Spent 2hrs, 20 min @ Wing Ding (parking and unparking burned up a fair amount of time, as well as, avoiding GWRRA recruiters). The number of Wings there was impressive. Spent another 20-30 minutes at the CrossRoads Cafe (last gas station before Skyway) at Tellico Plains choking down a cheeseburger and the rest of the time was in the saddle.

Although my riding buddy and I, both, are IBA members, we did not document anything and doubt I could have based on the route. It didn't start out as an IB ride, and therefore, it can't end up as one. In that instance, it falls under the heading of "just another fun day of riding" with my buddy. It was his first trip out of state on my old Wing I sold him so he could dump his problematic K1200LT. Last time I saw him this morning when we split up, he was still grinning from ear to ear. Before dogging it off this morning, he wanted to go make a local loop for 14 more miles to get the mileage up to an even 1,400 miles....

Although I've been doing LD rides since the '80s, I didn't start documenting some of them until recent years. For reasons that escape me, I resisted the "paper-work" ride and was operating under the "I know I did it and that's all I need" mentality. After finally documenting my first IB ride, I wished I had started doing it a long time ago as it adds a whole new dimension to the ride.

A riding day like yesterday and a ride "on the clock" just feel different. Yesterday, my schedule could have changed with the wind (ie, found an interesting resturant, met an interesting person or interesting shop). On the clock, you tend to think about the verification part of the ride where the IB crew can easily see what you did. Not all of my LD rides will be documented but the pre-meditated ones will be.

I made an attempt at a BBG (1500/24 hrs) on a trip to Key West on New Year's Eve Day. I under estimated the traffic in the Keys (and the number of LEOs on duty) and was 64 miles short of my goal at 24 hours but went on to ride 2,094 miles in just a couple of minutes over 30 hours. Although I got a starting witness form signed, kept all gas & turnpike reciepts, I didn't submit anything to IBA as I didn't accomplish what I set out to do. When I got my first inclination that it was "iffy" whether or not I was going to make it, it just added to the excitement... I wasn't disappointed at all. If I knew it was going to be a slam-dunk, the ride would not have been so inviting to me.

Long story short, try a "paper-work" ride. It's not as complicated as it sounds and it only enhances the experience. Like my buddy wanting to make the extra loop for 14 more miles....it didn't matter. On a documented ride, it does matter. I generated my own IBA witness forms (one form to use for start or finish) and keep a few in my trunk as you never know when the opportunity may come up and that's about all you need to get one kicked off.

Sounds like you have no problem doing the miles and obviously, its interesting enough to get you out of bed early and analyzing your after-ride stats. You owe it to yourself to do at least one "documented" ride and although I'm not a gambler, per se, I'd be willing to bet it wouldn't be your last.

Congrats.

Z
:agree: with Z.
I did my first "Iron Butt" ride on New Years Day and it is a totally different feeling and mindset when you are "on the clock".
I stated then that it would probably be my last but here I am 7 months later and I am itching to do another one.
Memorial Day week end a buddy and I took off on an Arkansas Adventure tour. We had a blast and did over 800 miles the first day. My Buddy stated that we should have made it an "Iron Butt" ride (wich we could have easilly accomplished) but it would not have been near as enjoyable as the ride we did because of the clock factor.
You owe it to your self to document at least one LD ride.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Nice job brother, I wish I could have gone with you but I will be doing the IB in the easy chair watching TV until my ride gets here. :frown::frown::frown::shrug::shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm not trying to denigrate your ride, LD rides are great and it is an accomplishment to ride long distances certified or not, but just remember Ironbutt is trademarked by the IBA and it refers to a certified ride that meets distance, time and verification requirements. This ride didn't meet those requirements but congratulation on a nice long day ride. Next time, plan your route to cover a little over 1000 miles, keep the paper work, and send it in for certification, get the plate backer and join a great group of riders.

BTW, I often do un-certified LD rides, many more than certified ones, they are great fun, give a sense of satisfaction when completed but they are not Ironbutt rides.
+1

Not to mention being certain to have the documentation at the required locations (specifically, route corners/turnaround points), keeping the log updated - and, potentially, talking to complete strangers, and getting them to sign a witness statement.

And (smile) doing the ride in a sufficiently safe manner as to not cause the verification team to deny the ride cert. (reckless riding/excessive speeding)

15 hours for 1000 is still pretty good!

The OP should not underestimate the additional fatigue that crops up in the next 500 miles for a BBG - even on a Wing. Any touring type bike, IMHO, would make it easier than one on a (for example) cruiser bike... But it isn't as easy as just proportionately more hours in the saddle.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Great job on the ride. I'll add that to do a BBG the last 500 miles may or may not be any tougher than the first. I was no more tired after 1500 miles than I was after the 1000 mark. Everyone is different. I don't know if the 2010 is any more accurate on miles than my 2008, the GPS said 3034 miles, the bike 3139 on the BBG3000 so between 3%-4% optomistic on the motorcycle odometer.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Great job on the ride. I'll add that to do a BBG the last 500 miles may or may not be any tougher than the first. I was no more tired after 1500 miles than I was after the 1000 mark. Everyone is different. .
Fair point. I was getting tired at about 800 miles (admittedly, riding in warm - high 80s/low 90s - weather and on little sleep the night before), but finished at 22 hours - and was still alert after I'd been up for about 25 hours.

BBG3000?! Very nice!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Congrats on a long and safe ride. :yes1:

It's been a while since I did a certified IB ride. My next one will be the SS2000, 2,000 miles in 2 days. Just gotta find the window of opportunity.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Congrats! Maybe it's just me, but it seems easier when it's "off the record" or ya do it without really planning to.... no matter what ~ there is nothing like all that time alone on the bike!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts