GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cabin fever got to me today. My bike is only about half way between the service intervals for first and second valve check. On my first check I had two that were too tight and while I was in there I fiddled around and got them all spot on center spec (which is nuts, but I am nuts). But, since I had those two out of spec I have wondered since if they would hold steady, continue to close their gaps, or if my previous adjustments would come back to haunt me by reading too loose on the next check. So, I checked them again today just for the L of it. I am impressed! Each and every valve was still dead center of spec; my record sheet is a neat line of 6's and 9's right on down the page. Next time, I am gonna have new gaskets on hand, but the OE ones will serve again this time around.

My 07AMG-001A100 cam chain detensioning tool tends to slip off of the cam detensioner on the right side on occasion while rotating the crank; thought for a second that #3 exhaust and intake were just a tad tight, but resetting that tool put her right on. Fred's trick with the small flat blade screw driver and hemostat was fail proof on the left bank. It goes really quick doing both banks at once. I recommend a double check (replication) after the first is finished.

prs

·
Registered
626 Posts
I did the same at the 30k check got them all in the middle of the spec. they still had not changed at the 60 and 90K check bike now has 112K looking forward to see what they look like at the 120k check, but I really don't think I'll see any change.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Well guys, If they're staying in spec now.....
We have to wander if any adjustments required
on the first check were due to wear, or were always
there from day one.
It would be interesting to know if anyone has checked
their clearances when the bike was brand new, and then
knew for sure if future adjustments required were from wear.
Maybe those multi-hundred-thousand-mile folks will log in with
their experiences on how long the clearances stay good.
DC

1 - 3 of 3 Posts