GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got it finished. In the past I have taped my entire helmet with reflective tape and this time I bought a roll of Hi-Vis Reflective tape. Problem with this stuff is that it's less like tape and more like sticky flexible plastic. It's very stiff so I ended up having to cut small strips and piece it all together like a home made 10,000 piece puzzle. In the end I'm 90% happy. It's not exactly what I wanted but it will do. It's funny how the color is different in the sun -vs- florescent lighting. In the sun very bright neon green.

And with the flash.

Adding in one shot in the sun on my bike

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Somehow, I don't think the reply "I didn't see him officer." is going to go over very well if you are wearing that helmet!

I like it! :yes1:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Did you have to use a heat gun to soften the flim to conform to the 3D curves of the helmet?

I would like to hear how it holds up to a years use too, so please let us know!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you have to use a heat gun to soften the flim to conform to the 3D curves of the helmet?

I would like to hear how it holds up to a years use too, so please let us know!!!!!!
Nope, it was flexible enough that it would go to the basic curvature of the helmet. I did it in small enough pieces that the real lines of the helm I just pieced the tape around them. You can see the pieces better in the last pic with the flash.

The tape sticks real good. I see no issues with the majority of the helmet. What I know will give me some issues is where I had to do triangles, the tips I'm sure will get caught on clothing, gloves, carpet, ect.. and I will probably have to replace pieces as time goes on.

In the end I put in about 15 hours work over 4 days. My finger tips are raw and my middle finger has a blister from the sissors. It was worth it now that I'm done though.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Great job Ray.....bet it wasn't $300+ bucks either?

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Sounds like a Master Card commercial.... PRICELESS!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts