GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - I have heard a lot of talk on this board about the wing doing a wheelie (yes I have seen the Crazy Ed videos and I know it can be done.)

I have hammered my throttle many times in 1st and 2nd and never felt like the front wheel has even tried to come up. (No! color does not have anything to do with it).

In order to wheelie you must have to rock the throttle and get a bounce started. The only thing I noticed at 6000 RPMS is how fast the traffic is falling behind me. Granted I have never tried it with my passenger - she weighs all of 120 lbs soaking wet so I don't think she would add much to the equation.

Or is all this talk just 'My wheelie is bigger than your wheelie!'

W

·
0 Posts
Chipmunky said:
Granted I have never tried it with my passenger - she weighs all of 120 lbs soaking wet so I don't think she would add much to the equation.

'
Just don't tell her WHY she's back there when attemping this because they don't like it.

"Honey let's go for a ride, I need your weight for something."

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
It can be done with and without a passenger. Just a matter of timing with the brake, gas and shifting your weight.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
What's this "rock the throttle and get a bounce started"? Just open up the throttle to about 4k RPM's, & dump the clutch. All you'll see is blue sky, & your wife screaming in your ear. As they say, Been There, Done That! :shock: Oh yea, I almost forgot. don't let off the throttle too quick. The front comes down real hard, & sounds terrible when she hits the ground. :wink: Let off the clutch a little slower, & you can leave a little rubber on the asphalt.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I popped one once and I KNOW I did because it scared the hell out of me, thought I was going to crash. My wifes sister was on the bike and she is....a lotta woman. I turned a corner in I think 3rd gear and I dumped it down to 2nd and slammed on the gas and I know the front end went up in the air...let off the gas fast and the front end slammed down...didnt drop it but man...scared the heck out of me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't have any reason not to belive it will. I just don't have the funds to fix it if i drop it . I honestly feel i could. In my younger days i rode a 1976 Honda 750 four and have had lots of others and could on all of them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Did a floater...

First of all, shaft drive bikes are more difficult to wheelie because the driving force of the gears tends not to force the front up as hard under acceleration as chain drive. Chain drive has the effect of trying to pull the front end up as the chain pulls against the top of the rear sprocket. My '99 Concours (shaft drive) needs a small bounce to get the front end lofted. Once she is up, you can carry the front end through several shifts :shock:

On my first ride, with my daughter on the back, we were crossing a crowned intersection. I hit second gear a bit hard and we floated all the way through to the third gear shift point. Luckily, my daughter is used to my driving and doesn't get too excited. My new wife, on the other hand, will probably give my helmet a good whack! :D

Unless the front end is bolting for the sky, just ride the wheelie out and let the front end come down easy. Slamming the front end down with a full throttle chop is very hard on a full fairing bike can cause some expensive damage...

I guess wheelies don’t bother me since I have ridden dirt bikes all of my life. But, if you are not used to them, I would not use the Wing as a wheelie learning platform :shock:

Anyway, I love that big six power :twisted:

Cheers,
Chris and Helen

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I did one with my wife on back. I was going about 5mph on a long straight 2 lane road and just punched it in 1st. Guess it came up less than a foot. She screamed and I held on till the ride was over. Thank God for my Utopia. No need to ever do it again.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Re: Did a floater...

Kzindar said:
But, if you are not used to them, I would not use the Wing as a wheelie learning platform :shock:
I'll second that! I've pulled the front wheel once on mine and that was enough. It will do it and I've got nothing to prove. Plus if you don't ride it out, you'll be buying new fork seals and who know what else. :eek:4:

·
Registered
598 Posts
I am here to tell you the front end can come up with just a roll-on. After washing my bike I decided to get the majority of the water out of the nooks and cranny's by riding up the street and back. Then I could towel it off and not have the pesky water drops on the front fender and in the radiator openings (yeah, I'm a little anal, but you know the ones :lol: )

I was just a little above idle in first gear and rolled on hard to "jar" the water loose and out. The front end felt real "light" so I called my 18 year old son to come out and tell me if the front tire was off the ground. Did the same thing again and he got this big grin on his face that told me what I needed to know.

Oh, by the way, although he calls my bike the "George Jetson-mobile" he did get a kick out of the fact that it would wheelie! I asked him how high it came up and he said about 6 inches off the ground.

Paul H.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Somewere on this board is a video of Honda's promotion for the introduction of the GL1800. Yellow bike with their yellow jacketed short hair race guy. Promoting the bike as a performance first this aint your old man's Goldwing. In the video the bike does a lil burnout in dirt on the shoulder of the road and then pops a lil wheelie as it comes back onto the road. I have the video. You want a copy? I'll email it to ya. Send me an email at [email protected].

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ok, all you guys are on report and i'm telling Mother Honda. No warranty for you! :cop2:

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Whew!!! I thought he said bigger willy... :eek:4: and it's cold outside.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I guess this comes under the heading of a "picture is worth a thousand words...", (or posts).

Deals Gap July 2006, yes that is a "couple" riding the Wing.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
gpick said:
I am having problems doing a stoppie. How do I disable the linked brakes?
Diagonal cutters will probably do the trick :!: :shock:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts