GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have only been married about 3 1/2 years and she rides her own GL1500 which she brought used before we had met. The prior owner had removed some of the seat padding to lower the seat, which left it less comfortable, but she never new what a decent seat felt like. For her, a good day's ride was 250-300 miles, while I sometimes would do that before lunch. I rode her bike a few times, and wouldn't want to ride it more that a few hundred miles either. I tried telling her that a new custom seat would do wonders for extending her riding miles.

Well, a few weeks ago she finally got her new custom seat and she was amazed at how comfortable it felt, but because of the weather was unable to take her bike our for a ride. Next, she happen to start reading a couple of books of mine written by Ron Ayres, "Against the Clock" and "Against the Wind." All she could say was that she got tired just reading it, asking why would anyone do that. New Year's eve the weather was sunny and off we went for a ride with the new seat. She loved it.
That night she has the maps out just checking out a possible route for the basic Iron Butt ride of a 1000 miles/24 hours. As long as it ends at a hotel with a hot tub, she thinks this is a doable ride. Works for me, hot tub and all. I never prompt her about this, it was all her ideal after reading Ron Ayres books.
My wife has seen the light of the dark side of riding.

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
that book "Against the Wind" is very good, just reading it made me feel like i needed a shower, shave and a good bed

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey cycledude, if you liked "Against the Wind," then you will enjoy "Against the Clock." It's his story of breaking the 49 state record and all the other riders who help out along the way.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I have done the Iron Butt SS 1000 twice... I enjoyed both times... its not as hard as some make it out to be... you just have to manage your time
don't dilly dally too long at stops.. first time we made it in 17 hours 25 minutes... and we had a 45 minute lunch stop... and a 1 hour 30 minute
dinner stop...

cosmic

·
Registered
115 Posts
WinginHunk said:
Hey cycledude, if you liked "Against the Wind," then you will enjoy "Against the Clock." It's his story of breaking the 49 state record and all the other riders who help out along the way.
I liked "Against the Clock" even better than his previous book. It's as much about the people in the long distance riding community as it is about his ride. Although he included lots of information about the other riders in his first book, somehow the closeness of the LD community comes through better in the second one. OR, maybe I was just a little bit more familiar with some of the people by then :)

I think riding that close to the "edge" is a bit extreme, but his books are very entertaining reading, well worth the modest cost.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Winginhunk, there is nothing like a comfortable seat if you want to ride long distances. I have completed 7 SS1000's and would not do it without a better seat for my wing.

·
Road Warrior
1,322 Posts
It is great seeing other women doing Iron butt rides. I read all three of Rons books while I was recuperating from 3 surgeries and before I did my first SS1000.

You better watch out though, Iron butt rides get very addictive :lol:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
How great to have your life partner get caught up in your hobby and take it on as well. Not just a lucky man, a VERY lucky man.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
My wife rides her own 1500 Wing and will ride from dawn to dusk, but hates to ride at night. This made her SS1k more challenging, but she did it. :lol:

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Hey Will,maybe we will finally get to meet her some time! I've always figured she's a myth! :p

My wife seems to be content hanging out in the back seat and taking pictures.I would lose some really good pics if she decided to ride on her own.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Just think Jeff,,,, maybe she would allow you to ride behind her, and you could take the pics. :lol: Just a thought.

truck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts